GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

RS3 Brake Deflectors

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Having done the TTRS guides to my car a few years ago..these items look interesting....

just the three cable ties look cheap...but you say this is as per factory??

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I've done a proper how to guide as these items do need modifiying to fit 100% to the wishbone & to not interfere with the brake callipers on full lock for the smaller systems...

www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41323

These items were designed for the cast aluminium wishbones & the huge 370mm x 34mm discs & 8 piston monoblock calipers....

NOT for pressed steel wishbones & 312mm disc...& I would double check if you have 340mm discs...because the standard callipers are all out the rear of the disc unlike the monoblocks...so will interfere more on full lock...

the devil is always in the details....

drrck

Go Kart Champion
I've done a proper how to guide as these items do need modifiying to fit 100% to the wishbone & to not interfere with the brake callipers on full lock for the smaller systems...

www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41323

These items were designed for the cast aluminium wishbones & the huge 370mm x 34mm discs & 8 piston monoblock calipers....

NOT for pressed steel wishbones & 312mm disc...& I would double check if you have 340mm discs...because the standard callipers are all out the rear of the disc unlike the monoblocks...so will interfere more on full lock...

the devil is always in the details....

Good catch, I'll have to check fitment at full lock. You are correct that I do have the larger brakes, so that is one difference. I'm also glad to hear they are are an improvement over the TT-RS ones, and even more happy to hear that they are working correctly.

It's been too cold here for me to really see any difference.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Well that makes these not as attractive for us 312mm folks. I ordered a set hoping it was a quick install without further modification. Guess we will see how tough it is when they arrive.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Well that makes these not as attractive for us 312mm folks. I ordered a set hoping it was a quick install without further modification. Guess we will see how tough it is when they arrive.

Simpler than the TT-RS ones I can tell you having done both how to guides!

As I have included good pictures it is easier for you as I had to work it all out...& I wanted to cut the least amount off...so a few mm gap at full lock & full suspension drop, between the duct & calliper.

Remember to get the 9mm wide cable ties from a hardware store (wherever) & bin the 7.6mm OEM ones...:cool:

drrck

Go Kart Champion
I did a double check this weekend, unless you are full lock and fully compressed suspension on the 340mm discs you're in the clear.

Typically I only fully load my suspension on sweeping turns at the track or heavy braking zones in which I would not be giving much if any steering input.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
I did a double check this weekend, unless you are full lock and fully compressed suspension on the 340mm discs you're in the clear.

Typically I only fully load my suspension on sweeping turns at the track or heavy braking zones in which I would not be giving much if any steering input.

Good to hear. Maybe they'll clear my 330 Brembos without needing mdofication.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

What about full suspension droop & full lock??....that usually makes it interfere more..

As mine in now on the yearly MOT checks I wanted it to pass those..ie not have the inspector have the car up in air & turn steering full lock & the calliper hit the duct......as the items on the RS3 won't do this..so keeping to design

drrck

Go Kart Champion
I did have the wheels off as well later in the day for brake bleeding and it seemed okay. That was only one wheel though as the other 3 wheels were on the ground.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I did have the wheels off as well later in the day for brake bleeding and it seemed okay. That was only one wheel though as the other 3 wheels were on the ground.

I have two 3tonne trolley jacks..one each side..one end of car in air easy..:cool:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
In what driving situation would suspension be fully extended?

Hump back bridge jumping??....I know a few around here if you hit above 55mph you get airborne...:D

No seriously it is more a case of inspection time...over here every car older than 3yrs has yearly inspection for Gov...car in air on two post lift suspension at full droop...turn steering full lock etc...don't want to risk a FAIL....its bad enough that the items look "dodgy" as they are bits of plastic cable tied onto the wishbones..

Anyway even on the ground the calliper was hitting the duct at 3/4 to full lock each side...& that's with 312mm GTI set up...bigger brake may not have this problem...just got to double check as if you don't you will weaken the plastic & have the duct break off from the plate & the last thing you want is the item snapping in two & bits breaking off at high speed..