GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is it possible to get Video on the standard Nav unit (FL 7.5) ?

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Hi all, am shortly about to take delivery of a new 7.5 GTI, with the standard 8" Discover Media System (albeit with Dynaudio), to replace my current 2016 GTD which has the Discover Pro (8" MIB II) - with Dynaudio.

I did consider upgrading to the pro in the MK7.5 but decided the £1.3k cost just wasn't worth it over the standard unit. So my question is that currently on my existing car, I can play movies and TV shows from my second SD card in the media unit in the glovebox, (which is great whilst I'm waiting for the wife at the train station), but is there a work around for the standard navigation unit ?

I know that the new Discover Media (8" unit) that will come with the golf has no video codecs built in, so I won't be able to load movies onto an SD card in the same way, but my new Samsung Galaxy S9 has a 400gb Micro SD card in it, and i currently have around 30 movies on it. I know I can just hold the phone and use either the built in phone speakers, headphones or the head unit (via Bluetooth) for the sound, but any ideas on how (if at all you get get video on the cars media screen ?

I'm thinking either Android Auto or Mirrorlink, but have tried a few apps I've seen but none really seem to work. Any ideas or is this just not possible ?

Last edited: