GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bäsemödel: 1.8 TSi Project

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
yeah I was worried that powering the two lights directly off the BCM on channels that were never intended to be used for a 55w lamp would get me into that circuit protection issue...

Chimuel

Car(s)
Mk7 GSW 971 Turbo ST
yeah I was worried that powering the two lights directly off the BCM on channels that were never intended to be used for a 55w lamp would get me into that circuit protection issue...

Amazon pulled through with same-day delivery and now I have fully functional LED front fog lights! The lights worked when I had Lasstyp set to 10 and Dimmwert was set to 100. I have gone ahead and changed those two settings to Lasstyp 6 and Dimmwert 127 to tidy up the programming.

Thanks for all the help! Next project is now the rear fog lights, should be much easier than the fronts. I checked my bulb holder and both sides have metal contacts where the fog light bulbs should go, I just need to move some pins, add a couple of jumper wires and melt out that fake bulb!

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
i drilled mine out. Far better approach than melting id think! good luck!

Chimuel

Car(s)
Mk7 GSW 971 Turbo ST
i drilled mine out. Far better approach than melting id think! good luck!

I was concerned with the shavings that drilling would create. I ended up melting it out, my first attempt wasn't the best but it turned out ok!

I ended up melting the first one off wrong, the plastic was far thicker where I started from and I used a chisel tip (Weller ETD) that was just too big and starting in the wrong spot didn't help.

The fake bulb from the first attempt --I had to crush it to get it out:

Here is my second attempt, I used a normal tip (Weller ETA tip):

Here is the "bulb" after the second attempt --much better, it fell right off and I was able to clean up the edges by just running the iron around again and quickly following it with an X-acto knife:

I finished this project just an hour ago. I went ahead and ran it from the BCM/CECM plug at A72 and all the way back to the hatch --it wasn't as bad a job as I thought it would be and it helps me prepare for the next mod I had in mind which is the reverse camera.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
2018 Update!

Hey folks!

It has been quite some time since I have added anything here! Lets see if I can recount what has occurred lately!

- Steering wheel wrap: came out pretty good. overall, im happy with it. feels and looks good. There are a few little places where my hands and eyes catch things id like to change but for my first one, I think it came out good. was more time consuming than difficult. You just have to have a plan of attack for each section and then you'll be all set.

- New shifter trim ring: was tired of the peeling around my original one so I got a new one on Ali. used superglue on the front edge where the little door and the trim ring meet to hopefully prevent any future peeling. My wife was also kind enough to use the extra thread from the wheel cover to do some sweet stitching on the boot!

- Acquired components for ambient door lighting: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21452
So I'm not actually doing the OEM panels... i elected to go with a simpler and better looking approach IMO so huge thanks to o_a_ravi as he showed me what parts to get and how to install them!

- Ordered a set of B8 shocks: Super excited for this one! less excited for the fact that I wont see them till June due to the outrageous backorder that is currently in effect...:mad::mad:

- Still fighting with the relay buzzing on my front fogs: I believe this is due to PWM on the channel i used from the BCM to trigger the relay. I need to put a resistor in place so I can prevent the PWM from making the relay chatter. I have been told it isnt dangerous but its more just annoying to me.

- Added a logo window: all black and very subtle

- bought a New South vent pod boost gauge: Got it from someone on the forum who has a storied golf history :p meeting in april to pick it up

- added front mud guards: I was tired of how dirty the sides of the car were always getting. I also wanted them to help keep the edge of the GTI skirt tight to the car. thats the one place it was separating just a bit. Waiting on doing the back until I decide what I want do do for a valance. I know its stupid but the gap between the end of the valance of the start of the wheel well is driving me nuts.

I think thats about it!

Attachments

• IMG_1764.jpg
    IMG_1764.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 740
  • IMG_1763.jpg
    IMG_1763.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 754
  • IMG_1732.jpg
    IMG_1732.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,196
  • IMG_1730.jpg
    IMG_1730.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 747
  • IMG_1729.jpg
    IMG_1729.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 739
  • IMG_1685.jpg
    IMG_1685.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 754
  • IMG_1652.jpg
    IMG_1652.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 746
  • IMG_1651.jpg
    IMG_1651.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 744

nicholam77

Go Kart Champion
Nice updates. The steering wheel wrap looks good and so does the boot.

What's up with the B8's? Are your stock shocks dying with the VWR springs? I feel like mine are a bit...

myles1

Ready to race!
First time reading up on this build thread in 6 months... Just read start to finish and very much enjoyed all the modifications. Makes me eager to get going on mine. Those Peelers are gorgeous, and that spoiler & exhaust! I'm saving money for now and went with some spoiler fins instead of the full spoiler. Any reason you went with Helix as opposed to Ed's reps? Was torn between the two but Ed's reps appear to be the forum favourite. If you get the chance you should have a look at @christ_bon on Instagram to see a lovely red TSI. Anyhow, can't wait to see what you do next, perhaps LED tails? Cheers

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
First time reading up on this build thread in 6 months... Just read start to finish and very much enjoyed all the modifications. Makes me eager to get going on mine. Those Peelers are gorgeous, and that spoiler & exhaust! I'm saving money for now and went with some spoiler fins instead of the full spoiler. Any reason you went with Helix as opposed to Ed's reps? Was torn between the two but Ed's reps appear to be the forum favourite. If you get the chance you should have a look at @christ_bon on Instagram to see a lovely red TSI. Anyhow, can't wait to see what you do next, perhaps LED tails? Cheers

oh im quite familiar with his car... :D he has done some things id like to do someday... interior swap is a big one!

thanks for the kind words! I went with helix over eds because of price at the time... however, if i were to do it again, id wait to find someone selling a used set of either and jump on them...

LED tails are in the future as is a DP... bilstein shocks should be here before the end of my lifetime (stupid backorder)... i also need tires before inspection...

myles1

Ready to race!
oh im quite familiar with his car... :D he has done some things id like to do someday... interior swap is a big one!

thanks for the kind words! I went with helix over eds because of price at the time... however, if i were to do it again, id wait to find someone selling a used set of either and jump on them...

LED tails are in the future as is a DP... bilstein shocks should be here before the end of my lifetime (stupid backorder)... i also need tires before inspection...

I’d read that Ed’s had a bit better quality & some people having to leave silica packets in them due to condensation, but Ed’s are certainly pricey. I think it would cost me about $1K to put them in. LED tails IMO are a must. I think I’m going to go with the replica 7.5 ones from bec auto parts... They’re almost half the price and look identical to the OEM ones. Also been thinking about an R bumper swap... So much to do such little money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Only issue I’ve had with the helix units is the clear coat peeling... and they were 500 new... you can get them used for 300 or so...

This may be controversial but I actually don’t like the 7.5 tails as much as the 7 euro tails... I just think they look better...

myles1

Ready to race!
Only issue I’ve had with the helix units is the clear coat peeling... and they were 500 new... you can get them used for 300 or so...

This may be controversial but I actually don’t like the 7.5 tails as much as the 7 euro tails... I just think they look better...

I feel ya, I’ve just got an obsession with dynamic turn signals. I was ecstatic when I saw they were coming to Golfs. It’s like I’ve got a turn signal fetish [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
ordered a set of firestone indy 500s, new bilsteins should be here soon and then an alignment after its all installed! should be a fun summer!

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Well its been awhile but i thought I would add some updates to this journal...

Bilstein's being on backorder for the next millennium lead me to purchase the new Koni special active shocks from ECS. I know that there is some debate over using the FSD style shocks from koni with a lowering spring but in my conversations with Leo from Koni, it should be a great pairing. I will cut the bump stops down to 55mm (the GTI size) and will be using the OEM strut mounts because i want some noise free operation!

Indy 500s are sitting in the kitchen and will be installed with the shocks this weekend!

In a crazy twist, I had an EPC and CEL come on while on the way home from philly one day recently... car had no boost and I assumed the worst. Indeed, it was the worst. The internal actuator failed and the wastegate was stuck open as a result. Shop tried to see if it was some other issue but confirmed that the turbo would have to be replaced. I took this as an opportunity, with the advice of some friends on the forum, to go IS20! I purchased a G revision turbo on VWVortex and that will be installed next week. Im also installing a Baun downpipe at the same time!

After that, I think I might chill out for a bit... I'll do motor mounts and euro tails at some point soon... bigger brakes some day... but I think the current rush of mods should be enough for awhile!

Last edited:

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
So small change of plans... due to time restraints as well as the knowledge that we could mess something up, I elected to not do the turbo myself but have my local trusted shop take care of the install. They graciously used the parts I supplied which many places wont do. It wasnt cheap but it wasnt crazy but its done right by a pro...which, even thought i like to think i am, i am not...

downpipe will be installed upon return from vacation this week... excited to report back on how it feels!

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
So small change of plans... due to time restraints as well as the knowledge that we could mess something up, I elected to not do the turbo myself but have my local trusted shop take care of the install. They graciously used the parts I supplied which many places wont do. It wasnt cheap but it wasnt crazy but its done right by a pro...which, even thought i like to think i am, i am not...

downpipe will be installed upon return from vacation this week... excited to report back on how it feels!
That's how I feel about turbo install. I'm pretty handy with tools but never did a turbo install. Usually I try to read up or watch some instructional videos before attempting a project I'm not familiar with but in this case screwing something up with a turbo can be costly. There are no good install videos either. Yes, there is a IS20 install guide for 1.8T on the forum but I'm still leaning towards having a shop do it.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the shop charge for the install? I'm assuming you provided the turbo and install kit.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk