GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Take security measures seriously

Mark White

So I've not been here long...
I bought a 2015 GTI PP two months ago only for some scumbags to break into our house while we were sleeping and steal both sets of keys and the car.
I thought I had ok security but the burglars snapped a padlock off my side gate, snapped the the locks on 2 of our pvcu doors with ease and took both sets of keys without us hearing a thing whilst we were asleep. Police say Golf GTI's in particular are very popular for being stolen at the moment and they honestly don't think I'll see that car again, chances are it's off to Eastern Europe.
It's not just the car either, our pram (£925), child seat (£395), my camera equipment (£2500), rayban's, few daughters toys etc etc were also in the car. It's a hell of a lot of money when you sit and work it out not even to mention the emotional dramas of feeling violated and unsafe in your own home.

Not sure where this is going to leave me after insurance etc and what car I will go for after it's settled.

So anyway just a word of warning. Make sure you have anti snap locks if you have pvcu doors, take the keys to bed with you etc at the least. Don't make it easy for these scum to take away your hard earned.

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Sorry this happened.
Dogs can be a hassle but my two Border Collies will alert to anything odd.
A pain at times but helpful.

I guess this is why some in your area use the wheel club still.

Last edited:

DannyScotland

Passed Driver's Ed
Mark,

Having been in a similar scenario I really feel for you and I am glad to hear you and the family are okay. Clearing up with the aftermath of insurance and valuations etc is never great.

Fully agree with your security recommendations however, I would never take my car keys upstairs to bed. If these people really want your car, some will not stop at anything to get your keys. If they have to come upstairs to get them, who knows what they'll do.

Let them find them and take it; its not worth you trying being a hero for any piece of metal.

Just my thoughts...

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
People suck.

People with open chest wounds suck even louder. Are shotguns allowed in UK? Pretty sure any decent handgun or semi-automatic rifle for self defense is banned, no? If all those rights have been legislated away, then a dog is a good option, as Sandman mentioned.

One reason I've heard for keeping car keys next to your bed is that you can hit the panic button which might make burglars run and will draw attention to your property. I don't even know if our key fobs have panic buttons, and I can't look because I drove my 4Runner to work today.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
I don't even know if our key fobs have panic buttons, and I can't look because I drove my 4Runner to work today.

They do. It's the button with a picture of a guy running away from WiFi. Or it could be someone doing a marathon with a traffic cone stuck to his ass.

Either way, it's there.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
They do. It's the button with a picture of a guy running away from WiFi. Or it could be someone doing a marathon with a traffic cone stuck to his ass.

Either way, it's there.

Perfect! lol

marvin1

Ready to race!
Mark,

Having been in a similar scenario I really feel for you and I am glad to hear you and the family are okay. Clearing up with the aftermath of insurance and valuations etc is never great.

Fully agree with your security recommendations however, I would never take my car keys upstairs to bed. If these people really want your car, some will not stop at anything to get your keys. If they have to come upstairs to get them, who knows what they'll do.

Let them find them and take it; its not worth you trying being a hero for any piece of metal.

Just my thoughts...

I disagree with you almost entirely. I'm indeed very sorry for the OP's situation but whenever I have listened to advice on these matters, people are told over and over again not to leave their car keys or any other keys, come to that, in their hallway or within sight of downstairs windows or possible access from letter boxes etc. Our car keys have never been left downstairs and never will.

rustyrig

Sorry to hear about the trouble, But if they have been in your house and you and your family are ok then thats a blessing the car be replaced along with everything else.

Hobby55

Ready to race!
People with open chest wounds suck even louder. Are shotguns allowed in UK? Pretty sure any decent handgun or semi-automatic rifle for self defense is banned, no? If all those rights have been legislated away, then a dog is a good option, as Sandman mentioned.

I'd rather they got away with my car than got into a gunfight with them... One reason I'm glad we don't have your gun "laws" over here...

I just don't leave anything valuable in the car at night, that way it's only the car they get... Who cares about that, it can be replaced, unlike you or me...

pcr

Ready to race!
Hears a thought with some of the answers in mind. Suppose there was added security on the car, say the key plus a pin number, that way the burglar would have to steal the key and wake you up for the pin number, would this be a good thing or a bad thing ?

SRoads

Ready to race!
I'd rather they got away with my car than got into a gunfight with them... One reason I'm glad we don't have your gun "laws" over here...

I just don't leave anything valuable in the car at night, that way it's only the car they get... Who cares about that, it can be replaced, unlike you or me...

From the start of the thread/comments, seems like the criminals were after the car and not the items inside (if that's the case, sounds like they where watching the house from some period of time). For them to search the house for keys and not just smash and bash leads me to that conclusion. Almost all criminals/thieves (being the low lives they are...) when faced with any resistance from the victim will flee.

Most "gunfights" are over in 3 rounds or less within 10 yds, usually with criminal running away injured.

If you are unable any type of firearm due to laws or believes... I suggest a dog or a security system, both if you can.

Mark, I hope the best for you and you're family and pray you never go through anything like this again.

Last edited:

marvin1

Ready to race!
OP, where were the keys to the car, they took? Were they obviously visible on the ground floor, such as on a table or a key rack?

Matt97

Passed Driver's Ed
I think install a tracking system to the car might be a good idea. That way, you provide police where exactly the car is and sure if polices are not too lazy. They are likely to find your car back. Other than that I will have gap insurance. So whatever happen to the car, you got whatever you paid at first place for the car back.