GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Worth going from NPM to Cobb AP?

bayarea7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 RSM 2 door S 6M
Had the NPM for about a year now and have liked it with no issues on 91. Friend doesn't want his AP and am getting a little bored so was wondering if it's even worth doing a stage 2 ots flash for 91. I'm not seeing much on NPM vs Cobb AP in my brief research. I know the appeal to the appeal is custom tuneability. And of course Cobb is tried and true platform. So any insight would be nice. Thanks in advance. I have intake and tbe but no ic.

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
Yes!

Hexxum001

Ready to race!
Yes. I am also in California and previously had the NPM also. It worked perfectly fine for me also and it was a lot of fun. BUT, there is just so much more that you can do with the Cobb AP and the difference in power from the NPM to a tune is like night and day. It is absolutely worth it, IMO. The only drawback is the potential loss of your warranty. But that's a risk that you take if you decide that you want to tune.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
I have had my NPM for 6k miles no issues. The biggest thing I see is your 6 speed manual. Be prepared for an extra 1200-2000 grand in clutch expense on top of your Cobb AP. In the end, is that potential loss of warranty and new clutch expense worth that extra 15/20 hp and maybe 30/35 foot pounds to YOU? Have you tried running high octane on the plus 7 yet?

teemmy

Ready to race!
I had the NPM and I went to the JB1 before I finally landed the Cobb (the jump from the NPM to JB1 was totally worth it). If you're worried about warranty, I would look for a used JB4. The OTS maps from Cobb aren't that great and were comparable to the JB1, but the MAP stage 1 and 2 maps completely changed the car for me. If you want to go stage 2 on the Cobb with reliable power, you may need to consider upgrading your IC as well.

Also + 1 on the clutch. I had to upgrade my clutch when I went stage 2 on the JB1.

bayarea7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 RSM 2 door S 6M
Clutch is already upgraded so that isn't an issue. Warranty isn't an issue as well. I'm still waiting on vwr's oem+ to come to the states but am getting impatient

teemmy

Ready to race!
If clutch and warranty isn't an issue I'd go with the Cobb and try the MAP stage 1 or 2 maps. If you don't like it, then you can always resell the Cobb!

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Definitely will be an upgrade. If you are worried about warranty though, get a JB4. You can make just as much power as the Cobb and adjust it yourself to be clutch friendly. You can also resell it like the Cobb. Otherwise the Cobb will be a definite improvement over the NPM.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
FYI Freektune is having a FULL complementary tune with AP purchased from him.

I would skip the MAP OST Stage 1 & 2 and jump on the Freek Train.

I went JB1 to JB4 to Cobb MAP 1 and 2 to Freek. Freek is the best hands down thus far.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Also, going from NPM to a Cobb Protune is much more than "extra 15/20 hp and maybe 30/35 foot pounds".

No doubt against a Etune/Protune. But, a stage 1 OTS is where I was qualifying my statement. A jb1 dp car on 6.3 psi and e35 made 303/367. That is well within range I gave out.