GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS VW GTI JB4 info thread

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
It is recommended to get the spacer regardless. The rear O2 sensor is used for part throttle driving and you going to want to have stock like readings. It does not harm anything not to have it but its worth the extra few $.

What exactly does the ECU adjust with the rear O2 under part throttle? Does it just use the rear O2 as a check i.e. rear O2 is happy then everything is well, if its not (CEL), then it adjusts accordingly?

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
It is recommended to get the spacer regardless. The rear O2 sensor is used for part throttle driving and you going to want to have stock like readings. It does not harm anything not to have it but its worth the extra few $.

Any thoughts on the ECU failure on JB4 George? I know got a few of us slightly concerned on what could have caused it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Norsk982

Ready to race!
Installed the JB4, my god, what a f**kin' PITA to do the plug on plug D!

My reaction and thought, Not too bad, but not very impressed. It does pulls like a train!

Perry01

Ready to race!
Installed the JB4, my god, what a f**kin' PITA to do the plug on plug D!

My reaction and thought, Not too bad, but not very impressed. It does pulls like a train!

It pulls like a train but you are not very impressed?

Perry01

Ready to race!
I need more time with the car, lol.

Which Platform Selection for code read only on the JB4? So I change to Map 2 tomorrow.

It's all on page one of this thread.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Got more driving time this morning during my 20 miles commute, Def feel the difference like the on/off button. Looking to see what Map 2 will be like!

That's likely because it only activates @ 9psi, so it kinda ~is~ like an on/off switch. Glad you're liking it. And I agree about the Plug D... Truly amazes me how it's so easy for some people. I've installed and removed a JB1 4 times at this point, it's never taken me less than 45 minutes. And it's even more amazing to me that ~anyone~ can successfully get Plug D from the top.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
That's likely because it only activates @ 9psi, so it kinda ~is~ like an on/off switch. Glad you're liking it. And I agree about the Plug D... Truly amazes me how it's so easy for some people. I've installed and removed a JB1 4 times at this point, it's never taken me less than 45 minutes. And it's even more amazing to me that ~anyone~ can successfully get Plug D from the top.

I'm not skinny by any means I do it by feel, if you try to do it while looking at it,you will never get it off, also a cold engine is a most otherwise it will hurt lol. I can take that plug out in 5 minutes by now, lots of practice [emoji4][emoji4]

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
I put the jb1 on exactly once. Plug D from the bottom. I'm skinny and couldn't manage it from the top. Not sure how you guys are doing it...lol. It comes off this afternoon for the first time in a year. On a related note, it'll be up for sale soon. ;)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
I'm not skinny by any means I do it by feel, if you try to do it while looking at it,you will never get it off, also a cold engine is a most otherwise it will hurt lol. I can take that plug out in 5 minutes by now, lots of practice [emoji4][emoji4]

Yup, taking out plug D is pretty easy...getting it plugged back in is the real fun :p I jest, as I know you meant doing the whole thing. I agree, the best way is doing it by feel. Therefore, I have decided to break it down in steps that you and I (and many of us) already know:

(disclaimer: if your arms are like an NFL lineman, a weight lifter, or your just big-boned and flabby, you will have already stopped reading this):

Using your dominant arm/hand (you will be lucky to do this with your dominant appendage, much less your non-dominant one), clear a path down thru the engine visually. Snake your arm thru that imagined tunnel. Ignore sharp edges tearing at your skin or ripping your shirt. After grabbing the two plugs, male & female, close your eyes and shut out all other stimuli. You want to be like in a sensory deprivation tank, but just shy of the hallucinations. You feel the two plugs. You fondle them. You know them. Only they exist in your world. They are your WHOLE WORLD. You love them. You can do anything with them. Now, just manipulate them together. They may slip from your hand on the first few attempts. Scream obscenities, or ask Jesus to help- whatever allows you to re-focus. When you feel them merge, squeeze hell out of them to lock. Now you, too, are Plug D Zen Master!

depth_charged

Ready to race!
Using your dominant arm/hand (you will be lucky to do this with your dominant appendage, much less your non-dominant one), clear a path down thru the engine visually. Snake your arm thru that imagined tunnel. Ignore sharp edges tearing at your skin or ripping your shirt. After grabbing the two plugs, male & female, close your eyes and shut out all other stimuli. You want to be like in a sensory deprivation tank, but just shy of the hallucinations. You feel the two plugs. You fondle them. You know them. Only they exist in your world. They are your WHOLE WORLD. You love them. You can do anything with them. Now, just manipulate them together. They may slip from your hand on the first few attempts. Scream obscenities, or ask Jesus to help- whatever allows you to re-focus. When you feel them merge, squeeze hell out of them to lock. Now you, too, are Plug D Zen Master!

This is gold

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Any thoughts on the ECU failure on JB4 George? I know got a few of us slightly concerned on what could have caused it?

Hi,

Are you talking about the Facebook post someone made? I am not sure of the circumstances and no one contacted us which I find rather strange.

The JB4 is on the 5V side of things so the only think I can imagine that could cause a ECU to go is if the bottom of the board falls on the positive pole of the battery some how. Even that has happened to me with no damage.

I would not be worried. If there was a issue of some kind it would be widespread by now with the user base we have.