GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Quebster's Neverending Story - 2015 GTI S 6MT - The Good, the Bad, the End... and the Resurrection!

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Just wanted to post a quick pic of the front end! This is before I installed the brake ducts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Get some pp rear brakes. Since you're already in the process of replacing the rotors & pads it's the perfect time to do so.

A member here is parting out their car. He's also selling some brake parts you might be interested in:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=434105&postcount=571

With that much power and especially tracking the car you're going to NEED good brakes on all four corners :cool:

Last edited:

Zacr811

Ready to race!
Car is looking good!

Have you been back to the dyno to see where it sits now?

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Car is looking good!

Have you been back to the dyno to see where it sits now?

Thanks! I haven't since my last dyno day where I netted 386, but pretty sure that was high, the curve was all over the place and my WTQ read over 500. In other words, that dyno was useless thanks to the shop not knowing how to work it.

I still need to go back to where I did my first dyno at 355 and see how she's doing.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Brakes are all here! Stoptech slotted front and rear rotors and Porterfield R4-S pads all around, with R4 track compound front pads for track days. Super excited to see how these do!

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Brakes on!

Really smoked my old pads lol this is what happens when you run street compound pads aggressively on track!

Before:

After!

Porterfield R4-S

TonWah

Ready to race!
Hey Quebster. Good thread! I see you're happy with the Indy 500s. That's still quite a bit of tire left for 3 track days and 2 autoxs. Have you tried the Bridgestone RE-71?

I'm looking to get into autox and that seems the tire most usually run. Curious on your thoughts if you have used the RE-71 cause I like the idea of using the Indy so not to get a dedicated track set, at least not at first.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Hey Quebster. Good thread! I see you're happy with the Indy 500s. That's still quite a bit of tire left for 3 track days and 2 autoxs. Have you tried the Bridgestone RE-71?

I'm looking to get into autox and that seems the tire most usually run. Curious on your thoughts if you have used the RE-71 cause I like the idea of using the Indy so not to get a dedicated track set, at least not at first.

Hey there, thanks a ton! Yes, I've been very happy with the Indy 500's, but I don't really know much better either. All I can really say (due to lack of experience) is that I think they're amazing for the price.

No, I haven't tried the RE-71's or RE-11's yet. I have been considering them for a dedicated track setup, if I ever get one. I'd like to have a dedicated set of wheels and tires for the track by the end of the year. I've seen cars similar to mine run consistently better times on the track and AutoX on the RE-71's, so I'm definitely considering them for the track setup. They seem pretty strong and I've heard plenty of good about them.

My goal is similar to yours in that I wanted a decent summer tire without breaking the bank, that I could use on and off track until I get a dedicated track setup. So far, the Indy 500's are doing a great job. I'll be curious to see where they're at here in a couple more months after a couple more track and AutoX days.

Sorry I can't compare the two more for you.

TonWah

Ready to race!
Great feedback. Yea we have similar goals it looks like. I'll probably go with the Indys on the stockies first just so I can get on the track and at least have better traction than the stock Pirellis. Then eventually as I improve my skills get a dedicated set with maybe RE-71s. Definitely helps. Thanks a lot. [emoji1360]

CLOUT

Ready to race!
Great build, nice choice on parts. The new brake setup looks good (I ran similar slotted stoptechs on my s2000 but with carbotech pads, they worked great on track without going bbk), you really toasted the oem rotors and pads huh haha.

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Car looks amazing, keep up the good work!

Great build, nice choice on parts. The new brake setup looks good (I ran similar slotted stoptechs on my s2000 but with carbotech pads, they worked great on track without going bbk), you really toasted the oem rotors and pads huh haha.

Thanks to both of you! Good to hear about the Stoptechs. Yes, it really does seem like my stock rotors are toast. The outer portion of the rotor has dramatically less material than the inner, is very grooved, and in some places looks like it has gone through the rotor:

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
Another brief update, I just bought a "new in box" Fluidampr the other day. It's coming in Tuesday, will try to get it installed before my next track day! Scratch one more thing off the list, literally the only thing I need now is coils. Well... and a track wheel/tire setup :D And maybe get my IS38 balanced? Or maybe a hybrid? Ah who am I kidding, the list will never end :rolleyes:

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I'd say that if you're going all the way with a track setup I'd recommend that you upgrade the rear brakes to the vented ones from the PP/R.

I've seen some monster numbers out of the hybrid turbos. Downside is a bit more lag. My take is if it's also a daily driver to go with a balanced is38 :cool: