GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone running an aftermarket DP without a gasket?

marcumac

Called dealer - referral block on the gasket, need VIN to order. Seems to look like VW wants to know who is replacing exhaust parts so maybe they can flag in the system?

I think you're reading too much into it. This is to verify they order the right part, not track your every move.

Is the part # above the one we need?

The gasket is VAG 5Q0-253-115-B and is used on several different VW/Audi applications. The clamp is 5Q0-253-725-C. I ordered both with for my downpipe install.

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
The gasket is VAG 5Q0-253-115-B and is used on several different VW/Audi applications. The clamp is 5Q0-253-725-C. I ordered both with for my downpipe install.

I have the clamp so just need the gasket. Thank you!

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
When I installed my turbo I had heard about this gasket before hand, but was surprised when I didn't see it after I took off my downpipe. I had also thought V-band didn't use gaskets so I wasn't very concerned, but I guess I must have just missed it buried deeper in the downpipe. Thankfully I reused my downpipe so I don't think I'm running without a gasket right now.

Mk7NMpdx

Ready to race!
I think my gasket either isn't sealing right or something Bc I get a ton of exhaust smell leaking into my car. But sometimes it's not there. It's driving me insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I think my gasket either isn't sealing right or something Bc I get a ton of exhaust smell leaking into my car. But sometimes it's not there. It's driving me insane.

If you are running a catless DP then that is why you have the smell. Even with a catted aftermarket DP you may have a smell, shouldn't be as strong though.

mjesenovec

Passed Driver's Ed
I just installed a catless dp from ebay over the weekend. I noticed this morning on my way to work that I have some noticeable smell coming in through my air vents. Didn't notice the gasket while installing, so maybe it's leaking slightly which is why it's coming through my vents while i'm stopped. I may order a new gasket and try to reseal it, see if it helps. I don't mind the smell coming out of the back, but blowing in through the cabin is going to get old real quick.

Perry01

Ready to race!
I ordered a new gasket and have it sitting in my garage. I don't have any exhaust smell but I will probably install it anyways when I get a chance.

Mk7NMpdx

Ready to race!
I have the same thing as mj. It's thru my air vents. I don't even have any from underneath and I don't mind out the back. But air vents is a Nono with my little. I've had careless on my wrx and it wasn't nearly that bad.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I have the same thing as mj. It's thru my air vents. I don't even have any from underneath and I don't mind out the back. But air vents is a Nono with my little. I've had careless on my wrx and it wasn't nearly that bad.

In the mean time if oyu use your heat or ac, use the button to make it draw air from inside the cabin instead to recirculate.

mjesenovec

Passed Driver's Ed
I ordered a new gasket on amazon. My brother might have time to install it for me this weekend, so i'll follow up and let you know if it fixed the air vent smell. I've just had the air vent van turned off the past couple days. It's in the 60's here, so I usually have the cool outside air blowing in. If it were still winter or in the hot summer, I would definitely be using the re-circulation feature.

nsw

Passed Driver's Ed
The ghost gasket - you really do need it on your downpipe install.

I followed the CTS Turbo downpipe instructions from CTS and there was no mention of the gasket at the V-band, nor in two of the Youtube videos I watched. I was getting gas/exhaust smell upon install (I'm catted) and found this thread. The metal fiber gasket is very hard to see; it is turbo side and is compressed to flat. It was a little hard to get out - used a small screwdriver to get behind it (there is a flathead screwdriver-shaped notch at the top for you get behind it).

The gasket you need is $11.00 plus like $8 shipping from Deutsche Auto Parts (DAP). I try to buy things from them even when they aren't last-penny cheapest since I really appreciate their video tutorials.

The gasket is here:
https://www.shopdap.com/52d26aef05c9b3c4bf8c4e991550a449.html

ColdFusionWi

Passed Driver's Ed
Question: If I wanted to replace my gasket (and possibly the v-band clamp) do I need to remove the entire downpipe or just loosen/remove the clamp and pull the pipe back?

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Oem Parts

Called my local dealer and both parts are common; about $23. Just change em for peace of mind.