GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best tune for long term

AzielioTor

Hey everyone

I've had my MK7 Golf R for a few months now and I'm loving it, but I'm looking for a little more power. My only concern is how it will affect the car long term.
I don't want anything too extreme, I'll probably stick with a stage 1/1.5 but i want to hear from people who have tunes how the car is long term/how annoying it is to flash back to stock before services and flash back after services. As to avoid the TD1 flag.
And it might also be good to know comparatively how APR is vs Eurodyne vs the neuspeed power module all are long term and what will give me the best power while keeping the car in the best shape for as long as possible.
Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
Hey everyone

I've had my MK7 Golf R for a few months now and I'm loving it, but I'm looking for a little more power. My only concern is how it will affect the car long term.
I don't want anything too extreme, I'll probably stick with a stage 1/1.5 but i want to hear from people who have tunes how the car is long term/how annoying it is to flash back to stock before services and flash back after services. As to avoid the TD1 flag.
And it might also be good to know comparatively how APR is vs Eurodyne vs the Neuspeed power module all are long term and what will give me the best power while keeping the car in the best shape for as long as possible.
Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have many cars with 30,000 + miles with a tuned ECU from APR. Nothing but good results as long as maintenance is kept up on. We present this to our customers too, have you thought about having the shop that flashes your ECU perform your services? You have no real ties to the dealer unless you need to go back to them for warranty. Just hold onto your documentation to the shop doing the work and you will be fine.

A lot of our newer VW/Audi Clientele come back to us for service because they don't want the hassle at the dealer or have to flash back to stock and back to software.

Food for thought :)

As for long term longevity on the software vs piggy back measure, we have not tested the Neuspeed unit long enough but there are some longevity reports of codes popping up with that device. This is speculation and merely mentioning something I read somewhat recently. We have used the Dinan plug and play with great luck too, but again not enough miles to determine longevity. APR stage 1 has proven to work well and has not shown any negative side effects to the vehicle long term (as the route cause). It sounds like you are very concerned about service, which is good this means your likelihood of ever having something go wrong usually goes down.

Thanks,

Greg

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
We have many cars with 30,000 + miles with a tuned ECU from APR. Nothing but good results as long as maintenance is kept up on. We present this to our customers too, have you thought about having the shop that flashes your ECU perform your services? You have no real ties to the dealer unless you need to go back to them for warranty. Just hold onto your documentation to the shop doing the work and you will be fine.

A lot of our newer VW/Audi Clientele come back to us for service because they don't want the hassle at the dealer or have to flash back to stock and back to software.

Food for thought :)

As for long term longevity on the software vs piggy back measure, we have not tested the Neuspeed unit long enough but there are some longevity reports of codes popping up with that device. This is speculation and merely mentioning something I read somewhat recently. We have used the Dinan plug and play with great luck too, but again not enough miles to determine longevity. APR stage 1 has proven to work well and has not shown any negative side effects to the vehicle long term (as the route cause). It sounds like you are very concerned about service, which is good this means your likelihood of ever having something go wrong usually goes down.

Thanks,

Greg

Do you read any threads other than the ones that start with, "I'm looking for a *enter part here*"? NO FLASH TUNE IS IMMUNE FROM BEING FLAGGED, IT DOESN'T MATTER IF THE ECU IS FLASHED BACK TO STOCK.

DO YOU HAVE ANY ANECDOTES BESIDES YOUR OWN THAT NEUSPEED'S NPM CAUSES LONG TERM ISSUES?

AND ALMOST EVERYONE HAS OR EVENTUALLY HAS CLUTCH FAILURE WITH ANY TUNE THAT ADDS OVER 4 PSI.

biglilsteve

Ready to race!
Why are you yelling?

He's just saying that flash tunes have proven to be generally reliable. And no one alleged that flashing back to stock avoids a flag. And no one said there won't be clutch issues either. APR mentions it on their own website.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

AzielioTor

Thanks for all your responses! I've pretty much narrowed down my decision to either a JB4 or an APR/Eurodyne tune.

JB4 as I can remove it before I do my servicing (I did the VW prepay services). It seems that with the bluetooth adapter I am able to swap the mapping and even turn the box into a complete passthrough if I want? (Haven't read up on it enough)

It seems APR would be the -best- option if I want to be safe. The only problem being the flag. But after I've gone through my prepaid services I very well could find another place (APR dealer) that will service without having to flash. Out of curiosity Greg, do you pay for the flash upfront and then only labor when flashing off and on again, before and after services?

Eurodyne seems to be the easiest in terms of an at home option. I just haven't heard how good it is long term and how it compares to the APR tune.

One thing I've only just thought about. Does the JB4 or tuning keep the cars failsafes? I don't know much about failsafes or what tunes or piggies do to the failsafes.
I just want to have a nice reliable tune (or piggy) to get a little more power out of my car without having to worry about something going terribly wrong and paying a ton of money:)

biglilsteve

Ready to race!
I'm having a hard time figuring out why people need to flash back to stock for simple service visits. If you get a flash tune, it doesn't matter if you get flagged during service, or flagged if you have to take the car in for something going wrong...either way you're flagged.

He's just saying that flash tunes have proven to be generally reliable.
That's just myth and wishful thinking. No good advice.
NO tune has "proven to be reliable" yet. Actually any tune proved to require a stronger clutch so far.

;)

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
NO tune has "proven to be reliable" yet.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume he's referring to engine life and the many owners of previous gen golfs, as well as MK7's, are a testament to that with running tens of thousands of miles on APR software. I'm sure other tuners have reliable software too.

biglilsteve

Ready to race!
I'm going to go out on a limb and assume he's referring to engine life and the many owners of previous gen golfs, as well as MK7's, are a testament to that with running tens of thousands of miles on APR software. I'm sure other tuners have reliable software too.
This, thanks.

gaveup1

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for all your responses! I've pretty much narrowed down my decision to either a JB4 or an APR/Eurodyne tune.

JB4 as I can remove it before I do my servicing (I did the VW prepay services). It seems that with the bluetooth adapter I am able to swap the mapping and even turn the box into a complete passthrough if I want? (Haven't read up on it enough)

It seems APR would be the -best- option if I want to be safe. The only problem being the flag. But after I've gone through my prepaid services I very well could find another place (APR dealer) that will service without having to flash. Out of curiosity Greg, do you pay for the flash upfront and then only labor when flashing off and on again, before and after services?

Eurodyne seems to be the easiest in terms of an at home option. I just haven't heard how good it is long term and how it compares to the APR tune.

One thing I've only just thought about. Does the JB4 or tuning keep the cars failsafes? I don't know much about failsafes or what tunes or piggies do to the failsafes.
I just want to have a nice reliable tune (or piggy) to get a little more power out of my car without having to worry about something going terribly wrong and paying a ton of money:)

Had the exact same questions/concerns you have. That said, my jb4 is arriving in the mail today...

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
Do you read any threads other than the ones that start with, "I'm looking for a *enter part here*"? NO FLASH TUNE IS IMMUNE FROM BEING FLAGGED, IT DOESN'T MATTER IF THE ECU IS FLASHED BACK TO STOCK.

DO YOU HAVE ANY ANECDOTES BESIDES YOUR OWN THAT NEUSPEED'S NPM CAUSES LONG TERM ISSUES?

AND ALMOST EVERYONE HAS OR EVENTUALLY HAS CLUTCH FAILURE WITH ANY TUNE THAT ADDS OVER 4 PSI.

Yikes! I can tell you're passionate, we like that however I am not sure what sparked the caps lock feature to engage.

We are here to help in any way we can, selling people things is my last concern. I am here to help everyone, if they chose to buy from me, I appreciate it very much, Its rewarding when people appreciate your information and experience.

Thanks for the input.

Greg

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
To the Op, I'd also have to recommend Unitronic. I've been stage 1+ and their tune makes the car very linear in acceleration giving it a more stock feeling. Going stage 2 soon once I have a chance to install my downpipe :). From my understanding, their tunes are based more on adjusting timing/fuel to get more power than just boost. That's the whole reason I went with them was focus on reliability and the "stock-ish" linear power. That and with their cable I can flash from my driveway which is nice not having to go to a dealer especially since I can flash back to stock before taking it to a dealer. Yes I understand that won't completely avoid TD1 flagging, but it's worth a shot right? Just my opinion... obviously, but I've also heard great things about APR and Eurodyne. Whatever you choose just make sure you also save up for a clutch as these stock clutches are notorious for slipping after any tune. There are exceptions to clutches holding up but I'd be prepared especially if you start putting down some heavy amounts of torque. :)