GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Methanol install - could use some guru guidance

Azoth

Hey all. Actually my first post but I've been lurking for a while and somewhat active on the other forum. Anyway, I'm doing a methanol install for my 2016 R.
Got the Aquamist HFS-4 and doing the install myself and taking my time with it but not really 100% confident on everything. So have a few questions..

Basic build/supporting mods:
Built lower engine, balanced.. IE tuscan rods and pistons
LOBA LO462 Turbo
CTS throttle pipe / turbo inlet tube
Neuspeed turbo discharge
Unitronic intercooler
Has a "base" custom tune

Planning on just running one nozzle to begin with.

So I was playing with the idea of running the meth/power lines to the outside of the car (mainly in the event there's ever a leak).. but the more I look at it and try to figure it out the more I want to run the lines inside the car for ease of install.

I thought I could run the lines somewhere out from the trunk but I can't seem to find any grommets anywhere back there, without pulling up all the carpet, but I've checked on the outside as much as I can and I can't seem to figure out where I would pop them outside without drilling a hole.. which I do not want to do. Saw another person who ran them from a grommet which came out right in the wheel well but I don't seem to have one there.

Also was planning on mounting the pump underneath the car to minimize noise in cabin. However the more I mess with it, the more I want to say fug it and just run the lines and pump in the car. Especially without easy access to a lift and I hate messing around with jack stands. Pump I'm probably going to mount in the trunk under the false floor where the sub/spare tire sits. Anyways I guess my questions are as such...

1. Is there any major concerns running the meth lines inside the car with all the other wiring looms? I'm only going to be running 50/50

2. Nozzle placement... I understand too close pre-throttle body is bad as it could damage it....for cooling, immediately post-intercooler is ideal and gives the most time to atomize, but I was thinking of just putting the nozzle in the CTS throttle pipe for ease of install since it already has a bung. Surely that's not too close?

3. The whole wiring side of things is half a mindfuck for me so I may end up paying someone to do that. I know how to splice wires and solder but I don't know if I'm confident enough to splice into the ECU loom. ++how do you make sure you are tapping the right wires? That's my most major concern..

Thanks in advance for any advice

Last edited:

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
So far it seems like on the MK7's that W/M injection on the throttle pipe is mainly for cooling. People are only getting a small octance boost. We don't have any DP WMI systems yet. Aquamist is working on one though.

I'm trying to figure out if we can run a DP WMI setup for adding power with an extra jet in the throttle pipe for cooling. I'm also wondering if it would be better to just get the MPI upgrade instead and just inject W/M at the throttle pipe for cooling.

ArcsandSparks

Ready to race!
Hey all. Actually my first post but I've been lurking for a while and somewhat active on the other forum. Anyway, I'm doing a methanol install for my 2016 R.
Got the Aquamist HFS-4 and doing the install myself and taking my time with it but not really 100% confident on everything. So have a few questions..

So I was playing with the idea of running the meth/power lines to the outside of the car (mainly in the event there's ever a leak).. but the more I look at it and try to figure it out the more I want to run the lines inside the car for ease of install.

Also was planning on mounting the pump underneath the car to minimize noise in cabin. However the more I mess with it, the more I want to say fug it and just run the lines and pump in the car. Especially without easy access to a lift and I hate messing around with jack stands. Pump I'm probably going to mount in the trunk under the false floor where the sub/spare tire sits. Anyways I guess my questions are as such...

1. Is there any major concerns running the meth lines inside the car with all the other wiring looms? I'm only going to be running 50/50

Thanks in advance for any advice

I've omitted sections about nozzle placement as my knowledge of WMI being used in a MK7 is limited.

I ran a snow performance kit on my MK6 and went through a few different setups before I found something I liked-

My final setup was:

Pump + tank in trunk, solenoid in engine bay.

- Safe and had no issues with the pump pressurizing the pre-solenoid WMI line.

I stuck with this setup until I sold the vehicle. As stated, the pump was in the trunk in the spare tire well. Never heard any noise and didn't have any issues with excess heat.

I originally ran the injection lines through the cabin, and plumbed an additional electronic shutoff valve directly off of the W/M tank and wired it into the main power switch. The W/M line ran the length of the driver side of the vehicle and entered the engine bay through a grommet in the firewall, wrapped with DEI gold heat wrap as it passed through the engine bay.

After a few months of this setup I ran the lines outside of the vehicle, following the brake lines from the rear of the vehicle to the front, into the engine bay, install was easier as removing interior panels is more difficult (to me) than removing underbody panels.

What I'd like to stress is an electronic shutoff; wire it into the main power switch and make it easily accessible. It's comforting knowing that if there is a leak, you can flip a switch and completely isolate the W/M tank is reassuring.

Something to remember- if you mount a tank inside the vehicle, make sure you vent it to the exterior of the vehicle. You do not want fumes (however few) in your cabin.

To answer your question directly- major concerns running meth inside the cabin. Not 100% sure. Run them outside.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
So far it seems like on the MK7's that W/M injection on the throttle pipe is mainly for cooling. People are only getting a small octance boost. We don't have any DP WMI systems yet. Aquamist is working on one though.

I'm trying to figure out if we can run a DP WMI setup for adding power with an extra jet in the throttle pipe for cooling. I'm also wondering if it would be better to just get the MPI upgrade instead and just inject W/M at the throttle pipe for cooling.

I'm getting zero octane boost just lower IAT. I can't even run a 93 file on 91 fuel + W/M without having -3 to -5 timing pull on my cylinders.

If you want to make the install easier you can always use the window washer reservoir as it has the low level indicator and the install will be much easier, but for a built engine and bigger turbo I assume you would need a larger tank in the trunk.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
@MK7GTI

I'm planning on either using either the Golf R reservoir or a trunk mount tank when I eventually go W/M.

Interested to see how we have to set things up to get an octane boost from the W/M on our cars.

Azoth

Ok so I guess my main question is how do I go about running the meth line to the outside of the car if I go that route?
I already have the 10 liter aquamist tank and I already have it mounted in the trunk. I did get the vent line.
Is there a way to get the lines outside of the car without drilling a hole? A grommet or something?
I've checked in the wheel well and under the car as much as I can and don't really see an opening. Don't really want to tear out all the trunk interior to find it..

I'm expecting to only get a very slight octane boost, if any.. only running one nozzle on throttle pipe. I'm more running it for the added cooling and whatever cleaning benefits. Direct Port would definitely be a considering in the future..

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
@MK7GTI

I'm planning on either using either the Golf R reservoir or a trunk mount tank when I eventually go W/M.

Interested to see how we have to set things up to get an octane boost from the W/M on our cars.

Direct port W/M would be the way to go for octane boost. Aquamist was making this and they stopped due to a low demand.

tark

I ended up routing everything through the trunk and under the car. You just route the arm above the rear control arm, to the left of the fuel tank and then along the brake line under the driver side lower body panel. The line can then be routed up behind the battery and to a solenoid in the front. I ended up making a bracket for my solenoid and putting it on the back of the CAI. From there I routed the line down and to the meth bung on my IE intercooler outlet. I had to shave of part of the plastic on the radiator fan panel to get the hose to fit properly, but it looks pretty clean. Below are pics of the install.

http://imgur.com/a/bCkDi