GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Small dent/hole on driver side frame

skinnyroots

Ready to race!
It snowed last night. I was reversing into my driveway. The snow had piled up and I couldn't properly see the curb, until my driver side mounted it.

I heard a scratch come from beneath the car. I went a did a walk around today and I found this little hole: https://postimg.org/image/bwrkrbl93/

It isn't even visible when you're looking at the car. But because of the snow, there's salt on the ground here for 6 months out of the year. I know that a cut like this is susceptible to rusting.

What are my best options for repairing this? It's really small hole (like the size of a dime), so if possible, I'd like to patch it up myself.

Thanks.

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
BTW, this does not look like the frame. More likely bottom of the rocker panel and possibly just the the rust proofing on it. If it's really cut just paint over with some rust inhibitor and fill it with epoxy or even hot glue.

skinnyroots

Ready to race!
Are you sure it is a hole?
Looks like rust proofing or sound deadening material was scrapped.
Take something sharp and push in cut. If solid not a hole.
If rust proof material might could heat end of screw driver and smoothen back out.

I'm pretty sure it's a hole. I'll know by this weekend for sure when I lift it to change my wheels.

What do you mean by rust proof material? I thought it was just one big metal piece--didn't realize there were layers.

BTW, this does not look like the frame. More likely bottom of the rocker panel and possibly just the the rust proofing on it. If it's really cut just paint over with some rust inhibitor and fill it with epoxy or even hot glue.

My bad--it's definitely the rocker panel. What's this rust proofing layer? And wouldn't I still be at risk for rusting if it's not cut all the way through? I mean, it feels like metal.

wlfpck

Ready to race!
On rigid surfaces, paint cracks and chips when the impact is severe enough.

On the bottom of the car, if you feel the paint, it's almost as if it was over a flexible rubber. This either is or is similar to SEM Chip Guard and other similar products. it's painted on the primered metal and then paint and clear is applied over it. That way it is flexible and can take pebbles and stuff hitting it.

skinnyroots

Ready to race!
Just to conclude this post, I was able to fill the small gouge last weekend using a two-part epoxy solution similar to this one here: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/bumper-repair-kit-0475601p.html

Like Sandman and Lucyfek suggested, it was more or less a scratch on the rocker panel. And on top of that, it hadn't even been pierced all the way through. But I'm kind of paranoid when it comes to these things (as evidenced by this post) so I'm glad that I was able to find something to fill the gouge.

Thank you all for your help.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Just to conclude this post, I was able to fill the small gouge last weekend using a two-part epoxy solution similar to this one here: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/bumper-repair-kit-0475601p.html

Like Sandman and Lucyfek suggested, it was more or less a scratch on the rocker panel. And on top of that, it hadn't even been pierced all the way through. But I'm kind of paranoid when it comes to these things (as evidenced by this post) so I'm glad that I was able to find something to fill the gouge.

Thank you all for your help.

Yes!
Thanks for update.
Better wrap the front of the car is this bothers you.
Enjoy the car. Share the ride.