GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Any Windows PC Gurus?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
My Toshiba L15W notebook (about 2 years old, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD) stopped consistently recognizing the USB ports. Upgraded to WIN 10 from 8.1 last year. I have one 3.0 and one 2.0. port. Sometimes I don't even have power to them, especially the 2.0. I tested both with an LED laptop work light and my VCDS cable. My Sandisk 64GB USB thumb drive now rarely works in the 2.0, and no longer works in 3.0. My new Sandisk 128GB USB thumb drive doesn't work anywhere.

I tried nearly every "fix" I can find on the web, including uninstalling and letting WIN reinstall the USB drivers, unchecking power management, and editing the registry for no suspension. I just unplugged the power supply and battery to hard reboot to no avail. I get no error messages in device manager. No change whether running on the battery or the power supply. Battery health reads good. Even Toshiba is stumped. My guess is either Windows is at fault or my motherboard is failing.

If someone thinks they can help please PM me.

Last edited:

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Did you do a fresh install of windows 10 or the write over windows 8 thing? A fresh install will have much less problems. Also, it's probably best to get the USB drivers from Toshiba's website as they are often motherboard specific.

jmal2005

Ready to race!
USB's are in no way motherboard specific.
The best thing you can do is to make sure that it is not a software issue is to re-install windows 10. Like MeltedSolid said you're going to want to wipe the hard drive clean and do a completely fresh install. You can always backup any files you want to keep.

After you get the fresh install of windows 10 you'll need all of the drivers for your specific motherboard/graphics cards/etc. Best place to find these is to google your exact laptop and usually the the manufacturer (in this case Toshiba) should have a product support page with all of the drivers you need to install.

I recently had to do this for my brothers desktop. It turns out that his motherboard had specific drivers that needed to be installed to allow the USB controller to work. You can always just try to install the drivers before wiping your windows as well.

Failing this it is probably a hardware issue that you are looking at.

Isj

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
did you disable usb selective suspending through power options?

defcon5

Ready to race!
Shutdown PC. disconnect power supply and remove battery. Then, hold down power button for maybe one minute. Then reconnect battery, reconnect power and boot.
If this does not work then remove all of the power as before and leave over night.

defcon5

Ready to race!
Shutdown PC. disconnect power supply and remove battery. Then, hold down power button for maybe one minute. Then reconnect battery, reconnect power and boot.
If this does not work then remove all of the power as before and leave over night.

The point of this is to discharge a;ll capacitor which will clear any stale VRAM setting.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule

I didn't hold down the power button. Will try tomorrow.