GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What is the one detailing product or tool you can't live without? Your second?

kmarriner

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
I have heard great things about both of those products, especially the Colinite. Yes, if and when you get a coating(carbon or silica based) both of those products will then hinder more than help. If you get an Si02 based coating(CQuartz and Ceramic Pro for ex.) Reload or similar SiO2 based sealants are your go to. If carbon based(Chemical Guys or AMMO) then you will need different maintenance sprays.

Fun stuff! Depends how deep you want to get into it. Some have claimed I am over thinking the coating care process and products. But, when dealing with such an investment, sorry but I'm going to do exactly what the products says I have to. If it says avoid fillers and gloss enhancers, I AM!

CQuartz is what I am thinking so reload is the ticket. I just haven't tried it on uncoated paint yet.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
1. Dual action polisher and pads
2. Collection of wheel brushes
3. Rinseless wash, Klasse AIO, spray wax, and Microfiber towels.

Jeez - you can't expect a guy to pick just 3 things!
Yea, I know I made it hard lol.

I plan to make a "worst product you've ever used" thread. Or "most disappointing". May be an opportunity for people to get a second chance at having success with a product. People may list a product they hate or can't seem to get to work, and someone who has may see this and help with the issue. I find that having a bunch of products laying about because you can't/don't like to use them is stupid, everything should have use. Or be thrown away.

But, some products do just plan suck. I.E. 90% of bug and tar removers lol. Or maybe I'm just using them wrong :p Haha.

gchen6850

Ready to race!
CQuartz is what I am thinking so reload is the ticket. I just haven't tried it on uncoated paint yet.

I've got a bottle of Cquartz UK sitting at home. Waiting for things in life to cool down a bit to dedicate an entire weekend to applying.

Planning on
1. Wash
2. Iron X
3. Clay
4. Polish to remove residual coatings/paint correction if I notice anything
5. IPA wipe down (maybe second wash)
6. application of cquartz -- allow to cure
7. second coat of cquartz

Anyone who has done a DIY coat and has extra tips?

Mousa

Passed Driver's Ed

I'm curious too. Would like to know how much of the bottle it will take. Once these projects at work and the weather clear up, I'm planning to give it a shot.

kmarriner

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
It's amazing as a standalone product. Even on old enamel paints.

Do you have any photos of the beads? And you say you're getting about 3 months out of it? Is that garaged or not.

Edit: Have you ever applied it after an ONR wash? Do they play nicely together?

Last edited:

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Do you have any photos of the beads? And you say you're getting about 3 months out of it? Is that garaged or not.

I don't have any reload on my car currently, I will be rocking the Ceramic Pro 9H for the next 6 years hopefully lol. I may refresh it with Reload once a year or so. Only 4 months old as it sits. Beading.

Billy Baldone1

Ready to race!
For any of you looking for a DIY coating. Go to The Gloss Shop. Richard and his wife are great people. The product is made in USA, lasts 24 plus months, and is super easy to use. It can be layered for longer protection, and a deeper candy gloss. You can do 2-5 cars with one 50 ml bottle. There is a Detailer version coming, I am waiting for that one. Most coatings give an average of 2-3 years. Modesta is the best on the market, with up to 10 actual years of protection. Costs are around 1500 plus for that version. CQuartz Finest is also a great coating to get applied by a professional, along with Opticoat Pro. As for Ceramic Pro 9h.... Not a fan. If you are curious why search Autopia. Applying a coating is not hard. The prep work to properly apply it is just time consuming.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
For any of you looking for a DIY coating. Go to The Gloss Shop. Richard and his wife are great people. The product is made in USA, lasts 24 plus months, and is super easy to use. It can be layered for longer protection, and a deeper candy gloss. You can do 2-5 cars with one 50 ml bottle. There is a Detailer version coming, I am waiting for that one. Most coatings give an average of 2-3 years. Modesta is the best on the market, with up to 10 actual years of protection. Costs are around 1500 plus for that version. CQuartz Finest is also a great coating to get applied by a professional, along with Opticoat Pro. As for Ceramic Pro 9h.... Not a fan. If you are curious why search Autopia. Applying a coating is not hard. The prep work to properly apply it is just time consuming.
I can't speak for the ease of install, as I didn't install my 9H coating. But I am more than happy with the results and performance 4 months in. The installer told me that most of the FLAK it gets is because of it being difficult to install at times, and the price vs performance looks bad compared to CQuartz finest, which is much cheaper and very similar in performance. If I had a CQuartz installer as close to me, I may have gone with it. Logistics and vehicle availability were a factor.

In all reality though I won't know for at least 18 more months if it is holding up as it should. I am not going to top it with anything to give it a fair test of Ohio's climate and my weekly washes.

Jersey UG MKV

Plastidipping Fool
Kranzle pressure washer and rupes polisher are my can't live without.

All of the high end products are good anymore, I like the carpro stuff alot.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion

Sorry, just seeing this man. My bad. No, at the time of discovering Reload my vehicle and my father's work vehicles were not garaged. In the elements, and kept up a good gloss and water shedding properties for a long time. ONR and Reload do play well, but I wouldn't want the ONR polymers on the paint before applying Reload. Bare, clean surface of all polymers and oils is key for an SiO2 product lasting. Here is Reload on my friend's WRX 2 months after applying it. This car is also not garaged.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUoqb9fAK28/?taken-by=pouncingpanzer

kmarriner

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE DSG
Sorry, just seeing this man. My bad. No, at the time of discovering Reload my vehicle and my father's work vehicles were not garaged. In the elements, and kept up a good gloss and water shedding properties for a long time. ONR and Reload do play well, but I wouldn't want the ONR polymers on the paint before applying Reload. Bare, clean surface of all polymers and oils is key for an SiO2 product lasting. Here is Reload on my friend's WRX 2 months after applying it. This car is also not garaged.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BUoqb9fAK28/?taken-by=pouncingpanzer

No big deal man, I actually bought some anyway and have been using it with UWW with no issues so far. Actually car hasn't been washed in like 3 weeks because my windshield cracked and it took forever to get replaced. Reload is holding up so far and I am washing it tomorrow.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
No big deal man, I actually bought some anyway and have been using it with UWW with no issues so far. Actually car hasn't been washed in like 3 weeks because my windshield cracked and it took forever to get replaced. Reload is holding up so far and I am washing it tomorrow.
Happy to hear it's working well for you! I have introduced a lot of friends, family, and coworkers to the product and they love the stuff.

king12sky

Ready to race!
I've got a bottle of Cquartz UK sitting at home. Waiting for things in life to cool down a bit to dedicate an entire weekend to applying.

Planning on
1. Wash
2. Iron X
3. Clay
4. Polish to remove residual coatings/paint correction if I notice anything
5. IPA wipe down (maybe second wash)
6. application of cquartz -- allow to cure
7. second coat of cquartz

You don't have to do a second wash. Just IPA wipe is good. Use the Carpro Eraser. It's my go to IPA, I'm lazy to mix my own ones.

Are you coating your rims as well? Best what to do this is have your car on jacks or stands then coat your wheels/rims separately. It's a paint and it will take you awhile to get them spread evenly.

Lastly, you might want to get Reload after. It will make your car shine like diamonds. Just don't use wax after.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
wolfgang uber rinseless wash
optiseal

I use microfiber towels to wash
I put a round foam applicator in a nitrile glove to spread the optiseal evenly and to minimize the required amounts.