GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf 7 R engine shake/vibration problem

GolfRG60

Hi Guys,

I'm owning a Golf 7 R since september now and when the car is on idle and in neutral/park, the engine sometimes starts 'shaking' i feel the vibrations in my seat and the passenger can feel it too. This happens when the engine is cold and warm. Idle remains stable though. No powerloss, car drives great.

Went to VW but no errors found after reading and also no any other issues detected.

Is this anything serious or i'm i just being too sensitive?

Thank you

Last edited:

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Misfires when idling. You might be able to see these if you have access to a VCDS. gn4whals had an exhaustive thread on the subject. I don't think it is serious, it just seems to be a characteristic of the car that shows up on some of them after you put some miles on.

GolfRG60

Thanks for your reply, i'll have my spark plugs changed soon. Hope that will help it if not i guess i'll have to live with it. Kind of an annoying thing though

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
No need to change the plugs unless its been 20k miles and you drive hard really.

Basically from what i read and gathered on the issue is that it is a performance engine that has to be efficient both in making power and maintaining fuel economy, and it sacrifices smooth idle slightly to idle lower and burn less fuel. Nothing to worry about, usually keeping my a/c or vent on level 1 helps smooth it out some.

Axles of Evil

Ready to race!
Thanks for your reply, i'll have my spark plugs changed soon. Hope that will help it if not i guess i'll have to live with it. Kind of an annoying thing though

Dont live with it, fix it. More than likely, its the coils. I would replace the coils and the plugs, that should fix it for good. Having had this same issue before with VAG cars, works every time!

M

GolfRG60

Thanks guys. I'll have them both changed if i can get the dealer (non vw) believe that the car has an issue, i still have a year of warrantee on parts etc. So annoying when the car runs perfect when it needs to be shocky..to prove it

bensonlui

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the same issue before many times specially winter weather.
I changed my plug to Denso IKH24, it does smooth out 90% of those rough idle/shake.
And yes, I am on stock tune. Please don't blame me on that.

bluescreenofwin

Ready to race!
Funny, I've experienced this too. Cold start, typically for 5-10 seconds after the car starts, and then it goes away. Vibrations, seats shake, etc. Never really thought too much into it since I've never seen a CEL or pending fault for it. /shrug

GolfRG60

Hi Guys thanks for the replies it makes me someway feel more comfortable haha, i drove the car with the "auto-hold' and i don't get that shaky vibrations at all...could there be something wrong with the DSG?
If my plugs or coils were bad it would do it also on the auto-hold function?

feher_90

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi Guys thanks for the replies it makes me someway feel more comfortable haha, i drove the car with the "auto-hold' and i don't get that shaky vibrations at all...could there be something wrong with the DSG?
If my plugs or coils were bad it would do it also on the auto-hold function?

Hi guys, I also have these shakes sometimes.
Has anyone managed to fix it?

With the autohold activated and the selector lever dsg in D, the car is stopped but the revolutions are a little higher than in N. Alomejor is why you do not have the shakes ..

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Hi guys, I also have these shakes sometimes.
Has anyone managed to fix it?

With the autohold activated and the selector lever dsg in D, the car is stopped but the revolutions are a little higher than in N. Alomejor is why you do not have the shakes ..

Have you noticed whether it happens when the AC is on or off? The idle is 600 rpms without the AC on which could be a cause. I've noticed that putting the AC on fan speed 1 fixes the issue for me.