GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket alloys

SK90

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi, been scrolling through some posts on this topic but I'm still unsure and would like some clarifications.

Firstly, please treat me as a novice as I have next to zero idea about alloys, suspension etc. I'll need explanations in laymans terms ?

So, I'm looking to get after market alloys for my golf GT. They currently have the standard 17" Dijons on slightly lower suspension than the S, SE and Match (I think). If I were to get 18", would it cause any problems to my car at all in terms of ride, handling, suspension? Could I just do a straight swap or would I need to tamper with anything else within the car to accommodate larger wheels?

Also, if I were to get aftermarkets id probably sell my 17 Dijons, how much could they fetch? Two are in brand new condition, the other two have slight wear and tear but nothing too major, only noticeable upon close inspection.

Thanks in advance!

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Hi, been scrolling through some posts on this topic but I'm still unsure and would like some clarifications.

Firstly, please treat me as a novice as I have next to zero idea about alloys, suspension etc. I'll need explanations in laymans terms ��

So, I'm looking to get after market alloys for my golf GT. They currently have the standard 17" Dijons on slightly lower suspension than the S, SE and Match (I think). If I were to get 18", would it cause any problems to my car at all in terms of ride, handling, suspension? Could I just do a straight swap or would I need to tamper with anything else within the car to accommodate larger wheels?

Also, if I were to get aftermarkets id probably sell my 17 Dijons, how much could they fetch? Two are in brand new condition, the other two have slight wear and tear but nothing too major, only noticeable upon close inspection.

Thanks in advance!

Unless there's something different (other than the flip flopped steering) about the "Rest of World" (ROW) cars vs North American cars, I do not think you would need anything other than to simply buy the wheels/tires and fit them. You will want to ensure a centerbore of 57.1mm on the wheels you get. Since you asked for explanation (from TireRack): The centerbore of a wheel is the machined opening on the back of the wheel that centers the wheel properly on the hub of a vehicle. This hole is machined to exactly match the hub so the wheels are precisely positioned as the lug hardware is torqued down.

I hope someone from the UK can correct me if I am wrong. Good luck.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Hi SK90. A bit of a 'brain dump' below, but hopefully you'll find it useful in helping you with your new wheel search.

The spec of your existing wheel/tyre set up is;

Width and diameter; 7J x 17"
Bolt pattern; 5 x 112mm
Centre bore; 57.1
Offset; 49
Tyre size; 225/45 R17

An 18" wheel in 7.5J width and an offset of 51 will give a similar stance to your current Dijon wheels. You may notice a slightly firmer ride than with your current wheels. I had 18" wheels on my mk6 GTD from new and found the ride to be fine.

If you find some alternative wheels that you like, depending on the wheel width and offset, you could experience suspension fouling and/or rubbing issues (centre bore and bolt pattern need to be the same as your current wheels). Use an offset calculator like the one at the link below (input the wheel and tyre details for current and new wheels) to ensure you don't have any issues with the inner face fouling the suspension strut or the outer face poking out too far and the tyres rubbing the bodywork.
http://www.willtheyfit.com

If you would like to stay OEM, then the VW range of alloys are at the link below (this is for the German market, but VW part numbers are included, so you will be able to check UK availability with your dealer). The wheels that are shown as suitable for the Golf should be a straight swap with your current wheels;

http://www.volkswagen-accessories.c...tion.download_attachment.file/skr-2016-en.pdf

If you go non-OEM, you may also need to use new bolts if the profile of the bolt holes in the new wheels differ to that in your current wheels.

Personally, I would avoid the many cheap replica alloys from China; these wont be TUV approved and won't have gone through the stringent and expensive safety tests that TUV approved wheels will have.

Also, bear in mind that in the U.K., you need to declare to your insurer that you have fitted new wheels to your car as this is classed as a modification and some insurers may increase your premium for this; not telling your insurer could invalidate your insurance in the event of a claim.

Regarding whether or not you sell your current wheels; when you come to sell your car, many buyers prefer it to be to factory spec, including the original wheels. I fitted replacement wheels to my previous car but kept the originals and put them back on the car when I part exchanged it for my current car; in fact the dealer specifically asked for the original wheels to go back on the car before they'd take it. I then sold the replacement wheels through an ad in a VW enthusiasts magazine.

SK90

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi SK90. A bit of a 'brain dump' below, but hopefully you'll find it useful in helping you with your new wheel search.

Bolt pattern; 5 x 112mm
Centre bore; 57.1
Offset; 49
Tyre size; 225/45 R17

An 18" wheel in 7.5J width and an offset of 51 will give a similar stance to your current Dijon wheels. You may notice a slightly firmer ride than with your current wheels. I had 18" wheels on my mk6 GTD from new and found the ride to be fine.

If you find some alternative wheels that you like, depending on the wheel width and offset, you could experience suspension fouling and/or rubbing issues (centre bore and bolt pattern need to be the same as your current wheels). Use an offset calculator like the one at the link below (input the wheel and tyre details for current and new wheels) to ensure you don't have any issues with the inner face fouling the suspension strut or the outer face poking out too far and the tyres rubbing the bodywork.

If you would like to stay OEM, then the VW range of alloys are at the link below (this is for the German market, but VW part numbers are included, so you will be able to check UK availability with your dealer). The wheels that are shown as suitable for the Golf should be a straight swap with your current wheels;

http://www.volkswagen-accessories.c...tion.download_attachment.file/skr-2016-en.pdf

If you go non-OEM, you may also need to use new bolts if the profile of the bolt holes in the new wheels differ to that in your current wheels.

Personally, I would avoid the many cheap replica alloys from China; these wont be TUV approved and won't have gone through the stringent and expensive safety tests that TUV approved wheels will have.

Also, bear in mind that in the U.K., you need to declare to your insurer that you have fitted new wheels to your car as this is classed as a modification and some insurers may increase your premium for this; not telling your insurer could invalidate your insurance in the event of a claim.

Regarding whether or not you sell your current wheels; when you come to sell your car, many buyers prefer it to be to factory spec, including the original wheels. I fitted replacement wheels to my previous car but kept the originals and put them back on the car when I part exchanged it for my current car; in fact the dealer specifically asked for the original wheels to go back on the car before they'd take it. I then sold the replacement wheels through an ad in a VW enthusiasts magazine.

Thank you so much for this!! Literally answered all my questions so I really appreciate it. One thing; in the vw brochure, are the prices besides the wheel for one wheel or the full set of 4? They're quite cheap so I'm presuming it's for one?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
Yes, price for the VW OEM wheels is per wheel, and you'll need to factor in the cost of tyres too.

If you're interested in OEM wheels, probably worth looking at the accessories section of the VW website too;

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/accessories/alloys/all/all/none/1

I had the VW Rotary alloys on my mk6 GTD; IMO a nice wheel if you like anthracite coloured alloys.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
See the parts manager at your dealer and see if you can get a better deal. Any here in the states some dealers give discounts to customers who are law enforcement and military.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
See the parts manager at your dealer and see if you can get a better deal. Any here in the states some dealers give discounts to customers who are law enforcement and military.

The VW dealer I use gave me a discount on the VW Rotary wheels I bought for my mk6 GTD. They didn't volunteer it; I had to ask for it, but if you don't ask, you don't get.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Also, if I were to get aftermarkets id probably sell my 17 Dijons, how much could they fetch?

The GT has -15mm in estate form & the hatch has -10mm, compared to the S & SE spec cars.

Any alloy wheel which is different to the ones your car with from the factory will have to be declared to the insurance. The reason is that they are insuring the cars as spec, i.e. from factory, buy a different set of wheels it adds to total replacement cost.

I would not by VW OEM as they weight too much & you can get lighter & stronger & built in the UK (not Turkey) for less money!

18" & 17" alloy for the MK7 Golf wear 225mm wide tyres, so no point in going from 17" to 18", as ride comfort is worse.

Most aftermarket (not all) use cone/taper head seat bolts, the VAG alloys use ball/radius seat head bolts. All you have to do is keep 5 of the OEM ball seat ones in the boot to fit the spare wheel!

My TD PR1.2 multispokes are 2.2kg per wheel lighter than the VW Dijon's...better for handling, less stress on the bearings, etc..& they are still stronger than the weight loading of the tyres as low pressure cast (not cheap gravity cast). Full set of alloys fitted with Michelin tyres & shipped to me was just under £1K...:cool:

I sold my Dijon's on Gumtree, mine only had 500miles on them & started at £790, I ended up selling for less than that, cant remember what thou..still got a good price..

SK90

Passed Driver's Ed

Bolt pattern; 5 x 112mm
Centre bore; 57.1
Offset; 49
Tyre size; 225/45 R17

Would these fit on my car? I'm still having trouble matching my current setup to potential purchases ? Here's the link http://m.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-wheels/dare/lg2/silver-polished/18-inch

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
Do not skimp on wheels!

Wheels and tires are the only things connecting your car to the ground.

Why on earth would you buy Chinese knock off wheels + tires?

SK90

Passed Driver's Ed
Oh I didn't realise these were poor quality �� As mentioned I am a novice when it comes to these things so my apologies haha. Could you guys recommend a site with high quality ones? Cheers