GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Emmanuel design springs defect?

chadlogan112

Passed Driver's Ed
Yup, same problem here with the top coil pigtail rubbing the inner second coil. I wrapped cool in heater hose, and replace it every oil change. Sorry to hear you also made the mistake and didn't go vwr as I should have. Best of luck!

Caesarmascetti

Passed Driver's Ed
When did you purchase? Are you in the revised springs?

read your entire post and your experience sucks. For what its worth I have had my own trials with suspension tuning on my gsw, what finally cured my issues is the sport spring from VW, lowered my gsw nicely allowed me to use the stock shocks (will replce them with koni fsd's eventually) and since the springs are oem they fit perfectly, no rubbing no noise. Not sure if this is an option for you, just a suggestion I spent close to $2k in wasted coilovers etc.....before I found my answer

H22hatch

Ready to race!
Mustache Rash,

First, awesome screen name....love it.

Second, son of a bitch....I have Emmanuel Designs springs on my R and have been going crazy with the amount of "squeaking" coming from them. First couple of weeks they were fine and no sounds at all. After that it has gotten progressively worse. Like you, mine did not come with that rubber sleeve "revision". I ordered mine Feb 9 of this year. I'm going to jack up my car tonight after work to see if they are binding like yours. If so, I'm not going to even bother messing with them. I'll just go to the VWR springs. Had those on my GTI and never had an issue with them.

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Also meant to ask, who did you purchase your springs from?

I purchased from ecs tuning Feb '17.

If you have the problem with the binding Dont be quiet about it. You need to voice your issue so the manufacture has accountability with lost sales.

It's not fair to you or anyone to have to purchase new springs and install because of a defective product.

H22hatch

Ready to race!
I purchased from ecs tuning Feb '17.

If you have the problem with the binding Dont be quiet about it. You need to voice your issue so the manufacture has accountability with lost sales.

It's not fair to you or anyone to have to purchase new springs and install because of a defective product.

Yes, that is a good point. I will certainly be very vocal about it if I have the binding (I am betting I do). I just do not see how the rubber sleeve would be a valid solution as that would wear over time. If they haven't been redesigned to avoid the collapse of the spring or interference then no point in keeping them.

2SlowNoMo

Ready to race!
I bought and installed my ED springs in Jan 2017. My car had less than 2k miles on it at the time so I did not replace the strut tower mounts. No binding noises so far. (Side note I also did the fender screw mod, which has helped avoid tire contact since I put wider tires and rims on. Without the mod I had some contact daily in moderate driving) I did trim the bumpstops in the front as suggested by the instructions. My issues with the springs are 1. the front springs have continued to settle for the past 6 months. I think farther than advertised and are now a bit lower than I wanted with a sport spring(maybe DSG weight vs 6mt is a factor?). 2. the springs compress too freely and too completely over moderate bumps or heavy g's. 3. I don't think the springs are well matched to the stock dampers as advertised. I am concerned that the range and rate of compression of the springs is too much for the dampers to effectively manage, leading to less than ideal handling at the extremes and maybe premature wear or failure of the dampers eventually (speculation of course). after 4k miles on these springs I would not recommend them to anyone who asks for the above reasons. Not experiencing the same problems as the OP with these springs, but still not satisfied. I did expect them to perform as advertised, but for the money (did install myself) I can't get too upset.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
premature wear or failure of the dampers eventually (speculation of course)

Of course. NO aftermarket springs are designed for the OEM dampers. They'll fit & work, and be close, but they're not.

The ONLY springs that are: the OEM springs and the DG springs which are matched to/for GOLF dampers (not GTI).

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
So to the OP....

1. Outside of not getting the revised springs, were you happy with them & the drop/ride?

2. Maybe their response wasn't what you liked (you blame them, they blame you), but how they handled the warranty replacement....seemed fair and normal.
(I'm not sure if you dealt with ECS Tuning or ED directly though)

But it could've been....you sent them the springs first & then they decide if they'd warranty it or not.
Instead, it sounds like they sent you the new set first on good faith that you'd send the old ones back for testing.
You're just out the labor, if you're not doing it yourself, which is standard for stuff like this

3. It sucks, since you're paying for labor....BUT contrary to what you believe, this stuff does happen.

Hell, you even mentioned the Koni coilovers from your MK6...which is ironic, because Koni (a huge company compared to ED) had their MK5/MK6 coilover kit out for years and then they had front springs that were rubbing/binding/collapsing in their 1150-5080 kit & then they issued a revised kit in 2011-2012 and called it 1150-5080-1 which included revised front springs & a wider front perch for them too.
If you had the issue you had to contact Koni then provide your proof of purchase & all that.

Another example, Integrated Engineering's intake for the 2.0T TSI. Their Stage 2 portion of the intake's bracket would snap.
People were bummed/pissed, but they would contact IE and they sent them out a replacement with no issues....even people that bought it used/second hand.

And lastly....another small company, TyrolSport. They've revised their MK5/MK6 deadset collar kit a few times now since being introduced.

The product gets to the customer's hands and then improvements are made....it happens.

4. So you've got the new springs...they replaced them & supposedly they should be "fixed" since they're the revised version. What more do you want?

Disclosure, since you had a conspiracy theory on the other page:
I don't live in California or near ED
I don't have a MK7 or ED springs
I've merely installed them a couple times on local guy's MK7's and I was impressed with the ride & drop for the cost

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
So to the OP....

1. Outside of not getting the revised springs, were you happy with them & the drop/ride?

I have not had the springs without noise long enough to make that conclusion yet. I will say that this past week with them without the noise show they work as advertised driving close to stock with a nice drop. It may be in my head but they feel a little soft.

2. Maybe their response wasn't what you liked (you blame them, they blame you), but how they handled the warranty replacement....seemed fair and normal.
(I'm not sure if you dealt with ECS Tuning or ED directly though)

But it could've been....you sent them the springs first & then they decide if they'd warranty it or not.
Instead, it sounds like they sent you the new set first on good faith that you'd send the old ones back for testing.
You're just out the labor, if you're not doing it yourself, which is standard for stuff like this

I have experienced many warranty replacements in the automotive field over the years and almost all, including koni which I'll touch on later, have shipped the parts first. Again, the response with false claims about 90% compression and the bumpstops was what really caused ill feelings here. How many people with noises would have stopped because they believed the false direction from ED?

3. It sucks, since you're paying for labor....BUT contrary to what you believe, this stuff does happen.

Hell, you even mentioned the Koni coilovers from your MK6...which is ironic, because Koni (a huge company compared to ED) had their MK5/MK6 coilover kit out for years and then they had front springs that were rubbing/binding/collapsing in their 1150-5080 kit & then they issued a revised kit in 2011-2012 and called it 1150-5080-1 which included revised front springs & a wider front perch for them too.
If you had the issue you had to contact Koni then provide your proof of purchase & all that.

Another example, Integrated Engineering's intake for the 2.0T TSI. Their Stage 2 portion of the intake's bracket would snap.
People were bummed/pissed, but they would contact IE and they sent them out a replacement with no issues....even people that bought it used/second hand.

And lastly....another small company, TyrolSport. They've revised their MK5/MK6 deadset collar kit a few times now since being introduced.

The product gets to the customer's hands and then improvements are made....it happens.

Well first off, it does happen and I understand that. Here is the issue, they had the problem, supposedly fixed said issue yet I have the same exact issue a year later on new revised stock. Then they respond that it's impossible to have and try blaming other things beyond a faulty spring.

With koni the issue was the coilovers were made for the mk5. When people ran them in the mk6 they had issues. I actually am running the same set I had in my mk5 on my mk6 but never had the issue. I contacted them to ask about it and without question they sent me new springs and perches. I have never had an issue with the old springs and the new are great as well about 80k miles and 7 years in them. It would be different if koni had the issue, released a fix and the same issue happened again right?

4. So you've got the new springs...they replaced them & supposedly they should be "fixed" since they're the revised version. What more do you want?

I thought I made that clear in the thread. Accountability on the manufacture for not fixing the first case of coil bind. After the noise I started researching(shame on me for not doing that first) and there are many many threads about noise with ED springs in which people are blaming other parts but not the spring. Maybe, just maybe if someone would have taken the time to make a thread like this I wouldn't have had to have them installed three times(initial install, identify problem, reinstall new springs).

When the consumers stand up changes happen. We should not be the beta testers here. Proper R/E should be done before selling. Reminds me of the APR cottongate with the RSC wig hair exhaust in which crew219 destroyed them haha.

I'm not going any further then this thread. I totally can post a smear campaign on multiple forums, social media and negative reviews on ecs if I wanted.

Disclosure, since you had a conspiracy theory on the other page:
I don't live in California or near ED
I don't have a MK7 or ED springs
I've merely installed them a couple times on local guy's MK7's and I was impressed with the ride & drop for the cost

Dude stop. You've been around long enough to know that fan boys will stick up for a shop/brand and even shop workers, owners and other vendors have been known to make fake accounts to do so.

At the end of the day it boils down to me being pissed that I could have had a nice set of coilovers for the price I paid to have these low end springs and it would be a shame if others had to go through the same.

Who knows, the spring bind might happen again, it's only been a week.

Response in quote

Last edited:

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Yes, the springs are on the softer side. That's why so many guys like them...they're not crazy stiff & keep the ride civil, while pairing up "decently" with the OEM dampers

As for the revised version, you supposedly had, I thought those had the rubber near the top?
The pictures you posted didn't have them....I think that was the issue: you truly didn't have the newer version (?)

I, personally, think it's all been resolved now & I hope they work out for you

Btw, since you had the Konis on the MK6...why didn't you install these springs yourself on the MK7? Almost the same concept for the install. Just curious.

Unrelated: Agreed on the Koni coilover springs actually. I ran the old version front springs on my CC and my Tiguan, to get that extra low, & never had an issue.

mustache rash

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
The original springs didn't have the rubber and the new ones they sent still did not have the rubber on the coil. No idea why.

I can install myself no problem. Did the mk5/6 chassis almost 15 times. I have a new job that's killing me and really don't have the time honestly.