GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Skid plates and my MK7 Golf Auto

skinnyroots

Ready to race!
Hey everyone.

I recently moved to the city and my mod priorities are changing to reflect that.

My new house has a slightly steeper driveway than my old one. Lately, when I've been backing out I hear some scraping coming from the front end. So I think it's time to invest in a proper skid plate.

I've been doing some research on the ECS Tuning Street Shield as this seems to be the go-to choice. But, I've read some reports of fitment issues with automatic transmission Golfs. I've also read about it adding some NVH.

So, my questions to you is: Have you installed the ECS Street Shied on your 1.8T Automatic Golf? Have you experienced an increase in NVH? And are there any other brands/products I should be considering?

carbongmk7

Ready to race!
most people also say the ecs shield does not mount properly and can cause more harm then good.

skinnyroots

Ready to race!
most people also say the ecs shield does not mount properly and can cause more harm then good.

Good to know. That's a lot of money to shell out for something that doesn't fit properly.

Can you recommend any good alternatives?

Last edited:

vw671

Autocross Newbie
Cheap insurance, replacement steel oil pan.

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
There's a thread on here about this you can buy all the parts from vw I believe (golfdave)put it all together or atleast I think it was him
Everything fit correctly and he had posted a lot of pictures of it as well

SPRTWGNNV

Ares Skid plate With Auto trans

I have an Ares skip plate on my 2017 GSW, there were no fitment issues, it is well designed and the mounts are solid, it is as good as the Panzer plate I had on my 2010 JSW. I did have an issue with amount of airflow it allows to the auto trans. I live in the Mojave desert where summertime temps are commonly 105 F and above. I did cut holes in the plate and attached the factory NACA ducts from the plastic under tray to the Ares plate. I do a lot of travel on unpaved back roads and because of how low as the GSW sits, I would not be without a plate regardless of the oil pan construction material.

skinnyroots

Ready to race!
There's a thread on here about this you can buy all the parts from vw I believe (golfdave)put it all together or atleast I think it was him
Everything fit correctly and he had posted a lot of pictures of it as well

Thanks for the reply, Chronic. I managed to track down the thread.

I'll get in touch with the guys from my dealership and see if they have any input.

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the reply, Chronic. I managed to track down the thread.

I'll get in touch with the guys from my dealership and see if they have any input.

No problem good luck

skinnyroots

Ready to race!
I have an Ares skip plate on my 2017 GSW, there were no fitment issues, it is well designed and the mounts are solid, it is as good as the Panzer plate I had on my 2010 JSW. I did have an issue with amount of airflow it allows to the auto trans. I live in the Mojave desert where summertime temps are commonly 105 F and above. I did cut holes in the plate and attached the factory NACA ducts from the plastic under tray to the Ares plate. I do a lot of travel on unpaved back roads and because of how low as the GSW sits, I would not be without a plate regardless of the oil pan construction material.

I haven't heard of this option before. Thanks for the review!

Sherifftruman

Ready to race!
You may want to have someone look while you slowly back out or get out yourself. (You can probably even see scratches if you hear something) it's very possible what you are hearing is the leading edge or some other part of the front bumper. Skid pans are certainly fine, but might not help with your situation which could eventually cause real damage to your bumper.

They make little ramp things that you can use to smooth the transition out which is usually the issue.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Did some one mention my name???

The VW reinforced GRP OEM Skidplate from the MK7 Golf (Europe) or the Passat (USA) are what you need...In USA the Passat version is the same as MK7 Golf, just different number & easier to get

All info in my thread..

ESC forget as only bolts at rear to subframe, & the whole of the front edge just clips to the front bumper as per the VW diesel full aero tray..

The Ares tray uses their own version of the VW brackets .....Not as much cooling as VW version & it will be noisier when stones hit it as Aluminium...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

DrkMrk

Car(s)
17' Golf R 07' RS4
Ares Skid plate With Auto trans

Can you post pics or maybe a how to on how to do that Naca duct mod?! That's brilliant! !