GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

PP Front Brakes on NON-PP GTI

inc55

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys, I was gonna get the stoptech st-41 kit for the front but I don't wanna run spacers so I'm thinking about getting the PP OEM Brakes for the front and was wondering if I'd be ok leaving the rears with just stoptech drilled and slotted 1 piece rotors with EBC red stuff pads and stainless steel lines with stock NON-PP rear calipers. Would there be a huge brake bias? I will eventually get the PP rear kit in the future.

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I'm running PP brakes on front and standard 272mm on rear and I do not experience a brake bias. I too will eventually find some rear brake calipers, but I'm in no hurry.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I wouldn't bother changing anything but the pads in the rear if this is your plan. You won't notice any difference in rotors being drilled or slotted on a street car. Lines are kind of a waste too since pedal feel is fine stock

inc55

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't bother changing anything but the pads in the rear if this is your plan. You won't notice any difference in rotors being drilled or slotted on a street car. Lines are kind of a waste too since pedal feel is fine stock

Even after getting the fronts upgraded? Or will I notice better stopping power with the upgraded rears?

inc55

Go Kart Champion
I'm running PP brakes on front and standard 272mm on rear and I do not experience a brake bias. I too will eventually find some rear brake calipers, but I'm in no hurry.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear. shopdap is offering an upgraded PP kit with stoptech slotted rotors and EBC Red Stuff pads. Should I get those? Also, will my NON PP brake lines fit on the PP caliper?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Lines should be the same.

Drilled and slotted rotors have no benefit on the street period. Regardless of what brand, size, etc.

IMO unless you're buying PP brakes used for a steal of a deal skip them. They're heavy and not much of an upgrade. Honestly if you're not tracking the car there's nothing wrong with non PP brakes. Just upgrading pads can greatly improve them, and there's several free and cheap mods you can do to improve cooling (also only needed for track duty)

If you're looking to do bigger brakes simply cuz they look cool I'd spend the money elsewhere. If you're doing it for HPDE or SCCA racing I'd get a proper multi piston upgrade with two piece rotors. The price difference vs the braking advantage puts those Stop Techs you considered leaps and bounds ahead of OEM PP

Look at any thread Breaking Badly has commented on about brakes, he's got a wealth of knowledge

Last edited:

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I'm with Jake on this one also, our lines are fine, with modern pads slotted rotors are really only for looks. I track my car once a year and my brakes were fine. To be honest I upgraded as I got a set of calipers for cheap $310, and it said GTI on the caliper and I love the look of a rotor the size of a truck rotor. Additionaly it was my penitence for not having the discipline to wait 4 months for the PP as I bought back in 2014. I would add to look for rotors that save weight. I purchased Zimmerman as they have a decent reputation, reasonably priced and coated. Well I would of liked to know that they were heavier then stock as I would of looked for something different.

inc55

Go Kart Champion
Are the rear brakes not the same on the PP and non-PP? I thought it was just the fronts that were different.

The rear rotors on the PP are 310mm which is pretty close to the size of non pp front rotors. Calipers are bigger as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrConflicted

Passed Driver's Ed
Just to chime in, I'd also say rears aren't necessary. I have all 4, but only because I scooped up a sweet deal for 'em.

Front R brakes are a nice upgrade if you track or do hard core downhills, but for even most spirited drives not that important. The nonPP brakes actually do decently well with just some decent pads and fluid. I've even tracked them, though, that did finally cause them to turn the calipers black haha.

Jlungo

Ready to race!
to install a PP setup in the back is it simple plug and play of calipers and rotors or does their need to be an upgrade to the lines/hose and master cylinder?

just to repeat what everyone has said...rears arnt as necessary but some people like myself would feel the look of the car is off with upgraded calipers and rotors up front with the tiny non PP set up in the back.

Personally, i am installing ECS stage 3 kit in the front this weekend (4 piston, 352mm rotor) and decided to go with the PP calipers in the back with matching cross drilled/slotted rotors as the front, just at the rear PP size of 310mm.

MrConflicted

Passed Driver's Ed
to install a PP setup in the back is it simple plug and play of calipers and rotors or does their need to be an upgrade to the lines/hose and master cylinder?

just to repeat what everyone has said...rears arnt as necessary but some people like myself would feel the look of the car is off with upgraded calipers and rotors up front with the tiny non PP set up in the back.

Personally, i am installing ECS stage 3 kit in the front this weekend (4 piston, 352mm rotor) and decided to go with the PP calipers in the back with matching cross drilled/slotted rotors as the front, just at the rear PP size of 310mm.

I did a full PP brake swap on my NonPP car. Didn't do anything with cylinder. No issues after 30K miles and a few track days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

launchd

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2023 M3LR, 2021 A7
Upgrading to PP brakes is a waste of time and money (unless you get them for a steal), single piston mediocre break setup for single piston slightly less mediocre break setup? No thanks.

TTRS brakes :)