GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Advanti Svelto 1, OEM tire 0

drshark

Ready to race!
So, we're driving back home to Niagara Falls (to NM and back; daughter married in Dallas), and upon entering Indiana...

Crash/bang!

A giant pothole swallowed the front passenger wheel/tire at about 75-80 mph.

I didn't feel any vibrations or untoward activity from the front end. Then, the low tire pressure light comes on. Fortunately, we planned to spend the night in Terra Haute, so I continued the last couple miles to the hotel.

Turns out the sidewall of the OEM tire cracked, but didn't fail completely, leaking air slowly. I could pump it up to drive several miles to the tire store. Thankfully, the rim wasn't bent (Advanti Svelto, 19x8.5). So, we lost a day waiting for four new tires; Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, 245x35-19.

So, good news for people who want to try Advanti wheels--mine absorbed a pretty ferocious impact. Plus, 500 miles on the new tires (admittedly easy freeway miles): love the feel, and can't wait to try the wider, stickier Michelins out for real!

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Nice! Any pics of them in your car?

drshark

Ready to race!
Only got home a couple days ago. When I leave work this afternoon, I'll take a few pics and post tomorrow...

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Sorry about the tire gator. Really encouraging news about the svelto wheels though...I've been eyeing them and they're near or at the top of my list most days. :)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

drshark

Ready to race!
Great question. Shop on the road didn't offer to re-align. I don't feel anything: drifting, pulling, left/right turn differences. So, I'm waiting until the next time I'm in the shop.

As for pics, I realized that I'm still in but-encrusted mode, so let me wash the car first...

drshark

Ready to race!
At 15,000+ miles, I was down to 1/4 or less of the tread. So, I went four new--and yes, a great opportunity to upgrade. Early returns on the Michelin PS 4s: softer ride and more grip. Gosh, just run your hands over them; it feels like a pencil eraser...

Just took the pics of Sveltos+245's--it's rained over six inches the last four days. I did park it outside through half to get (somewhat) washed off. Now I need to crop and size the pics. Probably tomorrow.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
I've had great luck with flow-formed Advanti wheels as well: 18x8 RN Reins for winters and 19x8.5 Hy Hybris for summers. Now if I could just keep the wife from playing tag with the curbs. . .
BTW, how are you liking the new Pilot Sport 4s? Do they give much better feedback than the stock rubber?

drshark

Ready to race!
Ok, long complex answer to a simple question on feel...

First, the PS 4s are definitely more compliant in the best technical sense. Any generalized complaint my wife had about suspension harshness has completely disappeared. While it's true that I also changed from 235's to 245's, the additional 1/8" of sidewall doesn't seem enough to make a night and day difference--which the tire change does.

In addition, there is an entirely new level of grip! As many of us do, I have a small number of turns that I know the speed I can safely take at 7 or 8/10. While I haven't pushed too much harder yet, I can say that I picked up several mph on corner entry and want to noticeably brake later (that should frighten drivers in surrounding vehicles even more). I can imagine the shift from 235 to 245 helping on this, but the compound is noticeably stickier to the touch.

As for "feel", I don't feel qualified to speak to that. I haven't done any wide, high speed sweepers (e.g., clover loops) to get a clearer sense of feeling the breakaway coming. In some sense, having more compliance in the tire muffles feedback, so I tend toward answering no on enhanced feedback.

Bottom line: love the tire for it's softer feel and grip. Highly recommended!

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
OK, you're making it harder and harder for me to wait and wear down the stock Bridgestones on my car before I grab a set of PS4's. I too am running 45mm offset wheels, did going up to 245's create any fender clearance issues?

drshark

Ready to race!
Zero clearance issues, even under hard cornering, with the upper screw on the wheel well liner removed.

I had to take the screw out to make the 235 tire/OEM wheel combination work with the ECS flush kit (10mm front spacer/17mm rear spacer). I haven't put those screws back in since. (I should also say that I have 8mm spacers in the rear with my summer tires/wheels.)

I seriously, seriously thought about 255's, but decided I didn't like the added weight -- and the risk of rubbing. I guess I just don't need to pull 1.0g in corners...

Sorry, though, to whet your tire appetite!