GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why would you not have a DSG gearbox

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
There is 0 way I can walk 3 miles to the bus stop, wait on a bus for 2 hours while it gets close to my destination and then walk another 2 miles to my office...its a 45 minute drive...so I do it...

Well this is my point exactly. In Florida you don't even have bloody pavements to walk on. I remember thinking exactly how stupid it was I had to take my rental car to cross the fricking road. Anything that isn't a private car or a minicab just isn't going to cut it there until you start with the basics. Anyway why the hell would you have to walk 3 miles to get a bus? Because you chose to live three miles from a main road?

No-one said anything about overnight.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
I could take the bus to work, but I'd probably have to leave my house 2-3 hours before hand just because of the route the bus takes and if I remember there is only one bus. Instead, I drive 30 minutes to work which includes stop and go traffic.
One, or even several examples does not prove the point..

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

eddiekranc

Ready to race!
lol i live in the city and we have stops every couple blocks, but some parts of florida you can consider being country and just a bunch of country roads with no civilization for miles.

GTIJeff

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyway why the hell would you have to walk 3 miles to get a bus? Because you chose to live three miles from a main road?

Only dregs use the bus around here...they don't put bus stops near my nice house...I also exaggerated...its probably closer to a mile...still...my fatass isnt walking it.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
Well this is my point exactly. In Florida you don't even have bloody pavements to walk on. I remember thinking exactly how stupid it was I had to take my rental car to cross the fricking road. Anything that isn't a private car or a minicab just isn't going to cut it there until you start with the basics. Anyway why the hell would you have to walk 3 miles to get a bus? Because you chose to live three miles from a main road?

No-one said anything about overnight.

Murica

http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-dai...t-houston-is-so-much-bigger-than-most-cities/

Last edited:

gtigod

Passed Driver's Ed
Reviving a really old thread...lol

When I went looking for my GTi, I flat out ignored everything that wasn't manual. I drive in stop and go traffic all the time. No big deal. I like shifting. I like shifting in advance of the acceleration bump I want for the pass that's about to happen. Sometimes you get stuck behind people that don't want you to pass them and they will block you in behind other cars, slam the throttle when you come out beside them to pass, pull over in front of me so I am back behind them again or hit the brakes to close the gap I'm about to go through. For people like this, I just give them the chance. I'm geared down well before the pass and accelerating then accelerating out the next lane before they can even react. By the time they slam the throttle or try to move into my lane or whatever stupid control stunt they pull, I'm already gone and the most they can do is scream at me for ruining their control trip.

Paddle shifters will let you shift down in advance too, but an automatic without them, pretty much sucks and even with them can still be horrible. I borrowed a 2017 Taureg for a day. I hated that transmission and of course the turbo was UBER laggy. I would go to pass someone, floor the gas pedal and then count down from 3 before the turbo would kick in. I'd paddle shift down and then if I let off the gas or coasted for a second or braked the transmission would shift back up. GRRR! I never deal with any of that with my manual. I'm in control of the gear ratio, not some predictive algorithm in a computer that has no way of reading my mind or knowing what I am about to do or what the control freak idiot in front of me is thinking.

Last edited:

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf

When I went looking for my GTi, I flat out ignored everything that wasn't manual. I drive in stop and go traffic all the time. No big deal. I like shifting. I like shifting in advance of the acceleration bump I want for the pass that's about to happen. Sometimes you get stuck behind people that don't want you to pass them and they will block you in behind other cars, slam the throttle when you come out beside them to pass, pull over in front of me so I am back behind them again or hit the brakes to close the gap I'm about to go through. For people like this, I just give them the chance. I'm geared down well before the pass and accelerating then accelerating out the next lane before they can even react. By the time they slam the throttle or try to move into my lane or whatever stupid control stunt they pull, I'm already gone and the most they can do is scream at me for ruining their control trip.

Paddle shifters will let you shift down in advance too, but an automatic without them, pretty much sucks and even with them can still be horrible. I borrowed a 2017 Taureg for a day. I hated that transmission and of course the turbo was UBER laggy. I would go to pass someone, floor the gas pedal and then count down from 3 before the turbo would kick in. I'd paddle shift down and then if I let off the gas or coasted for a second or braked the transmission would shift back up. GRRR! I never deal with any of that with my manual. I'm in control of the gear ratio, not some predictive algorithm in a computer that has no way of reading my mind or knowing what I am about to do or what the control freak idiot in front of me is thinking.

You're comparing a almost 5K pound Touareg SUV vs a DSG in a less than 3K pound GTI hot hatch...:rolleyes:

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Ready to race!
The Touareg is N/A or supercharged, so there can't be turbo lag. What you are describing is a delay in downshifting, which is the computer aiming for fuel efficiency. If you switch to sport mode it will stay in gears longer and shifts more promptly.

Still a legit gripe and I would agree paddle shifts on a torque converter auto is not ideal.

Edit: I'm assuming they aren't still selling the TDI for 2017 model year, which is turbo... Though diesels don't really have lag either.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

takemorepills

Ready to race!

Unless that person is in a DSG GTI, in which case your 6MT is getting put in its place...behind:D

rreichar

I have a 2017 manual GTI. Also a 2017 GLI DSG. I enjoy driving both. I can't say I prefer either transmission. I like both. My wife mostly drives the GLI and she prefers the auto. I would be just as happy with the GTI if it had the DSG. I didn't mind saving $1100 with manual though.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Just enjoy shifting, whether it's in traffic which keeps me entertained or hitting that perfect heel and toe before a curve. It's not about fastest, it's about most fun.

Attachments

• img20170720_185224.jpg
    img20170720_185224.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 427