GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R is misfiring and dealer won't do sh*t!

sng

Maybe you just have a faulty coil? Have you tried just replacing the coil packs?

Dealership swapped both coil and plugs from Cylinder 4 to 2. Still misfire when I start up the car during idle for Cylinder 4. I use live data from OBD eleven to check misfire and I saw around 22 to 23 misfire count on Cylinder 4. I know eventually that will trigger the CEL again.

My car only have around 18000km and still under warranty.

Misshe11

Passed Driver's Ed
Just another data point I guess... My 17 R with 4890 miles on it threw a CEL light today after it sat in my garage for over a week (biz trip)... I read the OBD and it had 8 misfire codes recorded. Car is stock, no mods... I cleared them and will check after running through a tank or two of gas... I am thinking the Mobile in Gurnee's premium gas may be the culprit Seems too coincidental with the car having been refueled last time I drove it. Misfires were not noticeable compared to the ones my 135i had back in the day... Those were crippling lurches...

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
So I recently had my car back to the dealership for P0304 misfire Cylinder 4 a couple times. First time the tech swapped plugs and coil from 4 to 1. Misfire stay on Cylinder 4. Dealership called and said VW told them it is a software issue but do not know when the fix will be available. I saw that people on here were told the same thing a while back. Any update? I highly doubt any "software fix" is coming our way. Dealership told me when the code pops just clear it and keep driving :(

Any software updates must be approved by the EPA before release. It's not a quick process.

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
OP what fuel are you using? . . . .
IMHO, quality fuel, or better said, the lack of it has to be a factor here. The engine management system will immediately retard the ignition timing to prevent detonation from low octane gas. The fact that most of the fuel in our country (USA) is only 91 octane (dunno about CA) is the principle reason the GTIs and Rs sold here have less boost and 20 fewer hp than those sold in Europe. Fuel has to be a factor that plays in these misfires.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
They all do it, partly due to the lack of port injection apparently. Nothing VW can do short of revising the engine.

All? Mine doesn't, never has.

Of course then a "cold start" in Arizona in July isn't like anywhere else on this side of the planet. My garage stays at 100f overnight, so firing up in the morning is far from "cold". My coolant is up to temp by the time I reach the end of the block, and the oil about 2 blocks later.

sng

For my case I do not think fuel is the factor here. I tried a few different gas stations and fuel. Shell 91, Husky 94, Petro 94.... etc. I don't usually draw conclusion until I have enough data to backup my claim. I really do hope this is a software issue and will not cause any serious damage to my engine or other components :(

sng

Normal??

Cold Start this morning

30 Mins from home to work

So this is software issue VW? Dealer swapped plugs and coil cyl 2 to 4. Cold start misfire stayed at Cyl 4 at cold start. But when driving all cylinder misfire. Any of you have OBD Eleven to do some live logging? May be this is "normal" and I just worried too much :(

Normal??

Cold Start this morning

So this is software issue VW? Dealer swapped plugs and coil cyl 2 to 4. Cold start misfire stayed at Cyl 4 at cold start. But when driving all cylinder misfire. Any of you have OBD Eleven to do some live logging? May be this is "normal" and I just worried too much :(

I think my 17 R is doing the same. It will only do it on cold start. Once it warms up it goes away. Is this similar to your car?

supesgolfr

Ready to race!
you know, I noticed that these CEL misfires primarily occur on non-tuned cars. When going to a stage 2, Apr recommends the use of 1 step colder plugs precisely to prevent misfires. Could it be that the Golf R is just better off with the 1 step colder plugs to begin with? Just speculating.

sng

you know, I noticed that these CEL misfires primarily occur on non-tuned cars. When going to a stage 2, Apr recommends the use of 1 step colder plugs precisely to prevent misfires. Could it be that the Golf R is just better off with the 1 step colder plugs to begin with? Just speculating.

The reason for that is for example if you have JB4, it will have the auto clear feature. That might be the same for other tunes but I could be wrong about it all!

Dan84

Ready to race!
Normal??

Cold Start this morning

How do you clear number of misfire after installing new plugs and coils. Cause my obdeleven it's still displaying the old number of misfire

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk