GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

My Blown Turbo Story

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
Totally blows (pun intended)! Such a bummer that it happened so far away from home. If it was home, $500 for a turbo, and a weekend and your fixed. Just a bad situation so far from home. Shoulda, woulda, coulda won't help. Enjoy your new ride and go into those dirt forest roads and go hiking. Something that your new ride can do well.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
That sucks man, too bad ya weren't closer to home, perfect excuse to have gone is38 and it would have been a real roll race screamer. But what can ya do now, that dealer got ya, but you were kinda screwed and they knew it, it's shitty but a learning lesson at the very least, its in the past now look forward to the future

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Sucks. I understand, though, why you took the course you did. Sometimes you just have to back away from something to clear your head, and at that point, re-engaging with the VW and trying sort things out was probably just too much. Money isn't the only coin we spend, so the Subie might be a good bit of mental health therapy to get you into a place where you can eventually dive back in to fun cars. Not that the Crosstrek is bad, by any means; it's a huge seller for very good reasons, and despite having somewhat anemic power it's a solid, extremely good vehicle.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
that quote seems high, but I guarantee it includes a breakdown of the motor in case any shrapnel decided to lodge in the engine.

That being said, your only natural course of action is this
http://dp.subaru.com/dp13-1-mods-wrx-crosstrek

CaptObvious75

Ready to race!
May this be a warning to everyone else that mods. If you mod, be sure to have a cash cushion for if things Go horrifically wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MobbinGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
that quote seems high, but I guarantee it includes a breakdown of the motor in case any shrapnel decided to lodge in the engine.

That being said, your only natural course of action is this
http://dp.subaru.com/dp13-1-mods-wrx-crosstrek

You are the devil hahaha. That would be amazing. Honestly, the seats in the Crosstrek kind of suck, so might be looking to swap in some WRX seats at some point. Adding power? That's a no go with this engine.

I appreciate the understanding everyone. Man do I miss the GTI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

treybyday

Passed Driver's Ed
Not covered under warranty because of the modifications.

Did they happen to specify which modifications? Curious if it was the downpipe, tune, etc. that they were unhappy about. But I suppose they could cherry pick anything they wanted at that point.

Sorry about your troubles, friend. I can relate to the modding addiction. It's a real thing.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
It's a real thing.

Seriously.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Oh my god, I can't even imagine going from the GTI to the Crosstrek (nice looking at least, extremely functional)

At least you don't have to dodge pot-holes anymore.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If that included pulling the head and checking all of the intercooler hoses and the intercooler, I guess it was an OK price for a dealer. Did the itemized estimate include all that?

If it were me, I would have tried to negotiate the cost and at least got a rental car at no cost.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
So sorry to hear that, sounds very frustrating.

Not to be Captain Hindsight but I would have stayed a few extra days, even if it meant time off work, and had a local indie shop with good reviews do the job. Even if it cost $2-2.5K, thats ALOT less when you factor in your lost mods, stealership lowball on the trade in, depreciation hit you took on a 1 year old car, and the financial cons that come with buying a new car. Hell, you could have come out with an IS38 beast of a GTI in that same price range...

Anyway, whats done is done, best of luck with the new ride.

REDRUM_MK7

Passed Driver's Ed
Dude so sorry to hear about your story. I went through the same crap in Denver. I was getting ready to move to Alaska (military) and my shitty is20 turbo popped on me. I was in a time crunch because the car had to be fixed in a week to ship to Alaska.

Basically I had it towed to Tynan's VW in Aurora. They saw the dp and that it was flashed. I had flashed my eurodyne back to stock but they still found it. Had to pay $3,700 total for a new turbo, re-install the stock dp (that I had given to put back on), and ordered a new pcm since my old one was "corrupt" from the tune. Mind you I have a stock pcm still in until this day and an extra pcm I HAD to buy. Bunch of jackasses. However, as mad and disappointed as I was I knew what I was getting into. Moral of the story, is20 turbo's are complete shi#. Sorry again brutha about your situation.

If I had more time I would have had it towed to a performance shop and installed an is38 and call it a day, but that's water under the bridge now.