GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS20+JB4=no problem, IS20+Stage2=blown engine

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Yeah, but his absolute settings were not that high. He has it peak at 25 or 26 j think and then taper down. Still trying to get the CSV to see. I'm wondering if he set it to map 2 by accident instead of map 4. The target will show additive on the CSV, but will show over the actual boost on a graph. At least I think it does.

Interesting.... I didn't know the graphs from the app were any different than what I see on my laptop or from a datazap file.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Interesting.... I didn't know the graphs from the app were any different than what I see on my laptop or from a datazap file.

I don't use additive and I don't use the graph, so I'm not sure how it would read. Does it just read the additive amount in the graph? I was just speculating how and why it would read 30 psi target and then flatline at it. He never had his absolute settings that high, so even if he somehow left it on map 6 by accident, it would still just show the target that is set. I ask him again for the CSV. And just so everyone knows, he wasn't trying to stack at all at this point. He really thought or still think that he was on map 4 so he could get a baseline of the stage 2 flash. I do have a feeling he is not too well versed on reading the logs and doesn't realize he can see what map it was in the file

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
http://www.datazap.me/u/jcranwell/is20jb4flash-crs-car?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-6-11-17-18-25-26

Here is the log of his run. He says he set it to map 4, but he must not have hit ok or save. It stayed on map 6. We definitely know that the fuel bias will be an issue and you can see how rich it ran, the unknown is the boost targets and why they behaved that way. I don't know what his map 6 settings were, but I've seen his e30 logs. This was one of them. Maxed out a little over 27
http://cdn.fbsbx.com/v/t59.2708-21/...2ef34d9e85f3824987572ef3da31&oe=59726FBE&dl=1

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
That does seem a tad rich, but if you look at my logs they aren't too far off of that. A few surprising things however is that the afr jumped as high as 12.8 and the trims were pegged at 51 through 4th gear.

Another thing worth note is that the IAT was crazy high, never dropping below 136 the entire run and peaking at 154 by the end. This usually wouldn't be a significant problem other than a decrease in power but at these extreme settings I bet they contributed.

You can also tell in the latter half of 3rd gear and through 4th gear that the ECU was trying to dial itself back, requesting only a few psi higher than stock, while the JB4 was forcing the car to push nearly 28 psi.

The most significant and obvious factor to me, which has been mentioned earlier, is the timing. That poor timing... Correction of up to 4.5 degrees and no more than 4 degrees total after 2nd gear, the worst being never going above zero in 4th gear. The computer can only do so much to save the engine, and it was trying everything it could there, but it looks like it wasn't enough.

From my not very informed perspective it looks like what killed the engine wasn't the 30psi target up to 5000rpm, but rather the fact that the boost didn't decrease like it should have after that and when the ECU was trying to save itself the JB4 being in absolute mode prevented that.

There are still a number of unanswered questions, but I think it is a possibility that your friend intentionally set the settings to this (probably with some false notions about how it works), and isn't willing to admit to his mistake.

In conclusion, I think it's wise to follow the advice on the JB4 page, and always talk to George directly when stacking.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
If you don't stack with guidance from George. Your day at the strip will look like this...

Attachments

• 54d825b47e2dad863485c350aaad9589--car-crash-dragracing.jpg
    54d825b47e2dad863485c350aaad9589--car-crash-dragracing.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 667

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Isn't this the same guy that was at the dyno and George recommended he not crank up the boost and he did it anyways?

No, but they both ran the same e30 settings. Still don't get why it was trying to hit 30 psi though. Something is still fishy on someones end.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I think the problem was there was no tuner.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
So what ended up happening? Can we name the tuner yet?

It was the APR file. I don't think its the files fault as we have done plenty stacks on them by now and I haven't seen anything remotely dangerous. I got a feeling the car was on map 6 with pre-stack settings and that is all she wrote.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
He forgot to switch to map 4 after the flash and ran the stack with map 6. Fuel biases were all 100 and FOL was 75. Dumped fuel, ring failed

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Damn, that's an expensive lesson to learn. Kindof surprised a post like this hasn't surfaced earlier, then again George does provide good support if you ask him questions, he just can't control user error.