GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Gloss Black Paint

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
A true gloss black, as is found on the various trim pieces on the exterior of the Golf, is pretty universal. Just ask for a pure black (some "blacks "are actually dark grays, or contain small amounts of blue, purple, or brown). Any automotive paint shop will know what you're asking for--especially if you tell them that it's to match some exterior trim pieces. A really good shop will have a tool to measure the color of the original piece and duplicate it exactly. Besides, as long as there aren't any metallic or opalescent particles imbedded in the paint, you ought not to notice any differences between a freshly painted piece and one from the factory, provided that each piece has a clear demarcation line (not a blended overlay). The edge line on the panel will fool the eye to miss any infinitesimal differences in the shades of black. But whatever you do, get an automotive grade paint; else, you will see a difference after a couple of years in the sun.

However, if you're looking to emulate the gloss piano black on the interior, make sure that you give the piece a shot of clearcoat, which will add to the sheen. If you are doing something with the interior, I'd suggest painting all of the contiguous surfaces, that way any slight differences will be absolutely invisible.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
A Duplicator or similar brand touch up paint for minor stone chips.

Fed, if you're looking to touch-up any black, plastic trim, your enemy in making it a flawless touch-up isn't so much the shade of black in the paint, but rather the change in the surface which the touching-up will almost unavoidably produce. My best advice is to either resolve yourself that any spot touch-ups are very unlikely going to be able to stand up to close examinations, or just pay through the nose for replacement pieces. Me? I'd pick up some generic plain gloss black at the local auto parts store, do my best, and no worry about it. You know that two days after you might masterfully repair that single stone chip, you're going to get another one twice as big and ugly anyhow. It's one of the laws of CARma.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I know, I was just looking to see if someone found a good match color-wise. I know how difficult it is, even with perfect surface preparation, the correct viscosity, painter's brushes, and a light and eye loup. But the first problem is finding a close match for the color.

timtchen

I just did this to change the matte textured maxton rear diffuser to match the gloss black rear mk7 R valence.

Dry sanded the plastic and used adhesion promoter and sandable primer. Primer was wet sanded done and then 3 coats of universal flat black. More wet sanding. 3 coats of clear. More sanding. Up until now sanding is all with 1000 grit. Then finished clear with 2000 then 3000 grit.

Followed that with compound using orange pads, then white pads and then polish with blue pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timtchen

Thumbs up!! Looks fantastic! How was the install?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Very easy. There is a lip at the back of the valence that acts as a guide. Just line it up and drill the holes.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Great job. Should have been glossy from the manufacturer. Or was it intended to be painted? All stainless steel hardware I hope. I'm thinking I would have powder coated the hardware.

timtchen

Great job. Should have been glossy from the manufacturer. Or was it intended to be painted? All stainless steel hardware I hope. I'm thinking I would have powder coated the hardware.

It isn't meant to be painted and is currently only offered in this single textured matte finish.