GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wait for 2018 GTI, or value shop 2017's now?

Nsknick

Ready to race!
Hi,

I'm pretty new to the community and am currently in the market for a new car.
I'm under the same dilemma if I should get the 2017 Golf R instead of 2018. I know what the 2018 lineup has to offer in terms of features and upgrades but I was looking forward to get a good price. Is it possible I could get better deals on a lease, probably that money factors for leasing would be better when new models are introduced into the market and so on?

Thanks.
I pay attention to this site to see about when the guides might be released. It seems the R is being produced for the US, later than the GTI. Some people may be waiting well into November to take delivery of a 2018. Site > https://www.elementfleet.com/resources/motor-company-information/buildout-startup?r69_r1_r5:page=1&r69_r1_r5:range=all&r69_r1_r5:makeValue=Volkswagen&r69_r1_r5:pageItemCount=10&r70_r1_r5:makeValue=Volkswagen&r70_r1_r5:transitSort=default&r70_r1_r5:range=all&r70_r1_r5:yearValue=2018&r70_r1_r5:modelValue=#filter

Gnosisdog

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm torn between waiting for a 2018 Golf R or Autobahn, or finding a deal on a '17 Autobahn. I'd prefer the R except for its lack of a sunroof, a nice thing to have where I live. Cosmetics aside, are there more reasons to wait on an '18 Autobahn than the LED headlights and better NAV screen?
It kind of kills me the R doesn't have a sunroof in the US.

elterrible

Passed Driver's Ed
Well there is the face lift and the fact that the Sport trim will be gone for 2018, so between those two that is enough to make a decision. I dont think it will be a guarantee either that you can get such a big discount from MSRP for the 2018's, atleast not initially.

Im not understanding this "depreciating risk" for the 2017 people are talking about. Any new car depreciates as soon as you buy it and face lift vs non face lift wont matter much down 5-10 years down the road selling it used. Unless you are the type who wants to sell the car very near term, only keeping it for a few years max, then 2017 vs 2018 would make a difference.

mopar22

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
16 GTI
Well there is the face lift and the fact that the Sport trim will be gone for 2018, so between those two that is enough to make a decision. I dont think it will be a guarantee either that you can get such a big discount from MSRP for the 2018's, atleast not initially.

Im not understanding this "depreciating risk" for the 2017 people are talking about. Any new car depreciates as soon as you buy it and face lift vs non face lift wont matter much down 5-10 years down the road selling it used. Unless you are the type who wants to sell the car very near term, only keeping it for a few years max, then 2017 vs 2018 would make a difference.

Sport and se got merged into one so you can get plaid with sunroof if wanted. Only downside is there's no fender for the se but you get blindspot monitoring

elterrible

Passed Driver's Ed
Sport and se got merged into one so you can get plaid with sunroof if wanted. Only downside is there's no fender for the se but you get blindspot monitoring

hmm that works out well. I wanted a sun roof but got the 17 sport because i wanted plaid seats more. dont care about the fender because im upgrading the speakers anyways but the blindspot monitoring would have been nice.

krayziejcs

Passed Driver's Ed
Don't you lose your spare tire? If that's the case you'd be better off starting off with a better system as wires are all there and have tweekers and replace as you go

Thought they were discontinuing the helix box?

Also the loss of the spare is somewhat shitty. Wish they would just offer the Fender sub as an option that can be added on later like the Helix one.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31070

You can keep the spare

Nsknick

Ready to race!
I'm torn between waiting for a 2018 Golf R or Autobahn, or finding a deal on a '17 Autobahn. I'd prefer the R except for its lack of a sunroof, a nice thing to have where I live. Cosmetics aside, are there more reasons to wait on an '18 Autobahn than the LED headlights and better NAV screen?
It kind of kills me the R doesn't have a sunroof in the US.

I think one thing to consider is, how long do you want to wait? AS of now the order guides still aren't out, so you may be looking at up to 3 more months until you even see a 2018 on a lot.

CiviclyConverting

Definitely waiting for the 2018s. I'll miss the Sport trim, which is very appealing but at this point owning the latest design is more attractive personally and from a resell perspective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matthader

I'm stuck between 17 Sport or SE. Does everyone with sunroofs have problems with them? Which interior will hold up the best over time? Fender sub or go JL Audio? Decisions...

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
There was a recent TSB for the leaking sunroofs.

I picked up a Sport a month ago...no regrets. There isn't anything on the 2018's that are a must have for me.