GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Out of state 2017 GTI purchase for a CA resident

SDGTIfan

I am a CA resident and found some great deals on GTIs in Virginia, Boston etc. I am thinking of doing an online buy since I loved my test drive in the GTI

1) Can the 2017 GTIs bought in the east cost pass the emission standards in CA? Does VW make 49 state GTIs that wont pass CA emissions standard?

2) If I buy the car from a dealer in VA would I have to pay the full sales tax in VA and CA? or only CA?

Has any CA resident did an out of state purchase and tell me how it went?

TYIA

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
You pay the sales tax for the state you're registering it in, which will be Cali

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Just bought my GTI in Maryland, and I live in New Jersey.

Good choice, I think you will not regret it.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I am from Michigan and I bought it from Virginia.

1. There should not be any issue.
2. You pay the sales tax in the state you register.

cW6mT mKviGTi

Ready to race!
I purchased in MD and I'm from Long Island, NY. My wife and I also traveled about 450 miles round trip from Long Island to Pennsylvania for her new Audi S3.

Like someone previously mentioned you only pay taxes based on where the vehicle is registered. As far as a California model MK7 GTi, I think they're all the same since I've never seen one without the secondary air pump system and I remember back in 2011 when I had my MK6 there were two versions, one being the CCTA engine code and the other being the CBFA engine code. California residents would have to purchase the CBFA models. I'm not 100 % certain so hopefully someone can chime in who knows for sure.

Good luck!

o'bluetouring

I am a CA resident and found some great deals on GTIs in Virginia, Boston etc. I am thinking of doing an online buy since I loved my test drive in the GTI

1) Can the 2017 GTIs bought in the east cost pass the emission standards in CA? Does VW make 49 state GTIs that wont pass CA emissions standard?

2) If I buy the car from a dealer in VA would I have to pay the full sales tax in VA and CA? or only CA?

TYIA

To share my out-of-state purchase from a few years ago: ordered an S5 from Audi USA directly through a broker, and because he's a broker not a dealer, he has to "park" the car at a dealership so we can complete the transaction. No dealer in SoCal would do that unless they can profit handsomely from it, so we decided to park the car at an Arizona dealership. Flew there and drove back. Paid cost of car plus AZ sales tax at the dealer. Came back to LA and went to DMV to register the car, and was told I need to pay the differences between AZ and CA directly to DMV in LA.

That part was all straight forward, but DMV won't let me register unless I get a smog check first, even though it's brand new (2009 model purchased in late 2008). Had to drive to a local smog shop to get it checked out. The process took a few hours because the smog check machine (linked to DMV's database) didn't even have 2009 S5 in their system yet. The shop had to do a lot of manual entries. Plus it was a 4-wheel drive car and they couldn't put it on the roller, so they also had to use an alternate method to get it to pass the test.

Jeffz

O'blue,
How much $ did you save?
Was it worth it? Sounds like a lot of time and $ expended.

vw671

Autocross Newbie

TYIA

I purchased my Golf-R from Kansas and live in SD. Went perfectly, no issue.

1) You have to have the car inspected at the DMV when you try to register it. They will confirm that the emissions on the car wasn't removed and if it has the necessary CA emission sticker.

2) Do not pay any sales tax in the state you purchase from. CA DMV will collect taxes and fees at time of registration.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I purchased my Golf-R from Kansas and live in SD. Went perfectly, no issue.

1) You have to have the car inspected at the DMV when you try to register it. They will confirm that the emissions on the car wasn't removed and if it has the necessary CA emission sticker.

2) Do not pay any sales tax in the state you purchase from. CA DMV will collect taxes and fees at time of registration.

I remember this...

I always wondered what made you think to ping a dealer all the way out here as opposed to some other big city?

vw671

Autocross Newbie
I remember this...

I always wondered what made you think to ping a dealer all the way out here as opposed to some other big city?

It was actually used at a BMW Dealership. It was registered for about 2 months and and ~1900 miles on it. At the time trying to find a Oryx DSG Golf-R in CA was impossible at a good price so I looked out of state.

o'bluetouring

O'blue,
How much $ did you save?
Was it worth it? Sounds like a lot of time and $ expended.

It was actually worth it as it saved both time and money. At the time when I was looking for a 2009 Audi S5 around Q3 2008, all dealers in SoCal were marking up around $10k for their S5 allocations and there were 3-6 months wait time just to get the allocation before you can customize the order.

With the route I took, I got the allocation the second day I spoke to the broker and sent in my options list within a few days. Paid a small deposit and started tracking the manufacturing process. All that and I got the car at MSRP (no markup) plus the cost of the one-way flight to AZ, and the $500 finders fee for the broker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: