GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTD Remap questions

G7D

I got my car remapped last Tuesday and it went from 189bhp to 223bhp which I'm very happy with. The only thing worrying me is the engine has a different sound when idle and switches sound sometimes. I was stopped at traffic lights and my engine changed tone, I was like oh no here it goes it's about to break. Nothing.. still pulled fine and drove fine. Is this meant to happen when you remap a car? It's tuned by a very reputable tuner and it's a custom map not one of those shared dodgey maps.

Just curious who else has got there GTD mapped and what bhp are you running? Any changes in engine sound?

Thanks

mondo

Ready to race!
I have a DTUK CRD-3 in mine, claimed [minimum] output is 240BHP/500NM
Idling hasn't changed, engine sounds pretty much the same, performance improved substantially and fuel consumption improved.

If you're concerned, reach out to the guys who did the remap, perhaps they can add some insight as to the 'idling tone' change.

G7D

I have a DTUK CRD-3 in mine, claimed [minimum] output is 240BHP/500NM
Idling hasn't changed, engine sounds pretty much the same, performance improved substantially and fuel consumption improved.

If you're concerned, reach out to the guys who did the remap, perhaps they can add some insight as to the 'idling tone' change.

240nhp 500nm... how's your clutch and turbo? I keep thinking mines gunna blow up so I take extra care letting engine cool and warm up properly lol

mondo

Ready to race!
240nhp 500nm... how's your clutch and turbo? I keep thinking mines gunna blow up so I take extra care letting engine cool and warm up properly lol

They handle it fine, most piggy back upgrade option companies offer a warranty, that shows their confidence levels when it comes to these plug-in mods.

The GTD has the wet clutches, so these can handle the torque with ease.
Doing a Google search on "Golf 7 DSG gearbox max torque"

So far I cannot find any substantial info on what Borg-Warner/VAG claim these gearboxes can handle torque wise..
A lot of Forum chatter and the max specs claimed [in old Thread Topics] are lower than the GTD and Golf R's standard torque outputs...

So far, no clutch judder or any clutch issues with mine, so I will continue to use the DTUK upgrade with confidence

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
They handle it fine, most piggy back upgrade option companies offer a warranty, that shows their confidence levels when it comes to these plug-in mods.

Remap/ tunning box & your warranty is gone. Sorry, but the old saying you have to pay to play.

Don' t be fooled by these false claims. A guy had an issue with his Golf R a few yrs ago now, when his turbo went bang. Guess who had to pay?

Regards to to the extra sound. I wonder if the sound actuator has been turned up in normal mode.

Rappy:cool:

The GTD has the wet clutches, so these can handle the torque with ease.
Let's stay real, and don't fool yourself, 500 Nm torque will seriously increase
DSG clutch pack wear. It's still developed and rated for 380 Nm maximum. ;)
You'll find that specification on lots of Volkswagen self-study programmes if
you doubt it. Any time you're accelerating full throttle from lower revs there's
some micro-slip happening, inevitably causing wear. If interested, google for
'micro-slip wet clutch'. Even more, the DSG's dual-mass flywheel isn't designed
for such high toque values. It wouldn't even make sense to tune the built-in
springs stiffer than necessary since it would have weaker islolation properties.
When these springs are bottoming (which they sooner or later will) this will
cause 'torque peaks' which will then cause clutch slippage. Remember these
words the day when it happens. That's exactly why the 240 HP/500 Nm Passat
BiTurbo TDI comes with the tougher DQ500 7-speed DSG. As a hint, 'Id read
the correspnding SSPs on both the DQ250 and DQ500.

Last edited:

GTDemon

remap

A word of caution people.

I had a 2006 Passat Sport Tdi 140 manual 6 speed gearbox and had it remapped to 180bhp when it was 3.5 years old, that's when everything started to go wrong...
Clutch went, turbo started to whistle after a while, injectors started to fail - common fault with those shitbag engines but the remap accelerated the issue as they all went within a month or 2.

It drove, and always did, superb. Quick, pulled like a train and was smooth. All the way up to last month when I got rid.
The standard turbo's and clutches don't seem to be able to take the extra stress in my opinion. They all go at some point but it appeared the remap made them go quicker. I had another turbo and clutch before I sold it plus the oil pump went as well.

I now have the Mk7.5 GTD and a remap or tuning box will have to be fully researched before I ever go down that road again.

A previous post was correct, add a remap or tuning box and bang your warranty is gone. To be honest the car is quick enough without adding anything else.

Dervdave

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf MK7 GTD
Just curious who else has got there GTD mapped and what bhp are you running? Any changes in engine sound?

Thanks

220+ remap by BigFish, lovely ! :D

Slight sound change on idle...bit deeper

KT600

Passed Driver's Ed
Any one heard of Burtech performance in or near Kent?
They are supposed to be very good at remaping Golf GTD 184 ?

Would remapping a manual version of this car increase the risk of early component failure ?

Or can the engine handle it ?

Heathy

Car(s)
MK7 VW GTD
I'm torn whether to remap my GTD or maybe even look at upgrading to an R as I don't really do the miles to warrant a Diesel anymore but depending on cost and the hassle of buying another car and selling mine I may be better off just having a remap done instead.

Mickyp1989

I'm torn whether to remap my GTD or maybe even look at upgrading to an R as I don't really do the miles to warrant a Diesel anymore but depending on cost and the hassle of buying another car and selling mine I may be better off just having a remap done instead.

I had mine remapped roughly 15000 miles ago with no issues whatsoever. my brother has my old car which has done 70000 miles on a remap and still no issues. A1 remapping have done a fair few GTD including mine and they seem really knowledgeable and do various checks beforehand to ensure its suitable. mine is suppose to be 220hp 340ft/lb which is very much a standard ballpark figure for mk7GTD remap.

I think the problem a lot of people have with remaps is largely down to bad driving habits. if you don't let the engine get up to temp and nail it everywhere you are asking for trouble in any turbo car. Keep ontop of servicing and the car should give you no issues at all.

As an all rounder my mk7 GTD is the best car iv had (after coming from a scirocco R previously)

I got my car remapped last Tuesday and it went from 189bhp to 223bhp which I'm very happy with. The only thing worrying me is the engine has a different sound when idle and switches sound sometimes. I was stopped at traffic lights and my engine changed tone, I was like oh no here it goes it's about to break. Nothing.. still pulled fine and drove fine. Is this meant to happen when you remap a car? It's tuned by a very reputable tuner and it's a custom map not one of those shared dodgey maps.

Thanks
What sound you mean is it like a lil hummin sound when you start the car up ? I have that too after my chip but i drove 14k after the chip with the sound problems ever so :)

acegne

Car(s)
Golf GTD mk7.5
It's been 2 weeks since I got my mk7.5 GTD remapped to 234hp and 480nm. Now I have few problem that tunner is saying are normal.
First thing I notice is drop in fuel consumption from 52mpg(stock) to 40mpg(stage1) with the same driving style.
Second thing is am hearing turbo surge when lifting throttle. It sound like turbo is going to fall apart.
And the third thing is when accelerating from 1800rpm engine is not consistent from every run. For example when step on the throttle it pulls like a train but some times its not and will start puling at 2200rpm. It also happens that is starting accelerating hard for half a second and then it feels like ECU would limit throttle input till around 2200rpm.

What do you guys think and what are your experiences with stage 1 on GTD?
I'm seriously considering going back to stock.

Mickyp1989

It's been 2 weeks since I got my mk7.5 GTD remapped to 234hp and 480nm. Now I have few problem that tunner is saying are normal.
First thing I notice is drop in fuel consumption from 52mpg(stock) to 40mpg(stage1) with the same driving style.
Second thing is am hearing turbo surge when lifting throttle. It sound like turbo is going to fall apart.
And the third thing is when accelerating from 1800rpm engine is not consistent from every run. For example when step on the throttle it pulls like a train but some times its not and will start puling at 2200rpm. It also happens that is starting accelerating hard for half a second and then it feels like ECU would limit throttle input till around 2200rpm.

What do you guys think and what are your experiences with stage 1 on GTD?
I'm seriously considering going back to stock.

sounds like a bad remap. was it from a reputable company? the gains seem to be too high for stage 1 so it seems this is a very aggressive tune. Revo are the obvious choice as they are a global company. 220hp seems to be a benchmark for HP stage 1. I have around that with no issues whatsoever. hope this helps