GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

If you thought the Mk7 was too bland ...

Becks

Ready to race!
I take away from that article this;

Fluidity: Smooth and flowing; graceful. Classic lines endure time, and tend to appeal to a greater number of people.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
VW never went in for the flamboyant design trend themselves - the CC and Mk6 GTI were about as flamboyant as VW ever got.

You've got to give De' Silva credit, I find it hard to argue with his logic.

VWs conservativly styled cars do age well.
They also contain a look that is more upscale and refined than the brands they compete against - such as Honda, Mazda, Hyundai.
They look German.

In a couple of posts I've mad on the Mk7, I stated that I may not be wowed - but I'm releived by what they didn't do.
"Don't do anything stupid." (Captain Jack Sparrow)

No meaningless swoops and dips.
No giant headlights that take up 3/4 of the front fenders.
No built into the body exhaust. (I hate that)
An upright hatch design that's actually functional rather than steeply raked and cutting into room...

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I think VW has been flamboyant-less for its entire life.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I think VW has been flamboyant-less for its entire life.

Yes, there were times - say the Mk4 Golf and Jetta when they were behind the times style wise.
Not just conservative, but down right dated.

I think they are in a good place now.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Yes, there were times - say the Mk4 Golf and Jetta when they were behind the times style wise.
Not just conservative, but down right dated.

I think they are in a good place now.

I agree. I look at companies like Hyundai, Kia, Toyota, and Honda and they are trying to win people over with their styling. While others, win people over with their technology.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
I meant Mk3 Jetta.

Hooklyn

Banned
I agree. I look at companies like Hyundai, Kia, Toyota, and Honda and they are trying to win people over with their styling. While others, win people over with their technology.

Agreed.

It reminds me of this quote from Bill Gates;
"If you can't make something good, at least make it look good"

I like that VW doesn't feel the need to resort to flamboyant styling to attract buyers. Their products speak for themselves, no yelling required. I think that companies whose products are overly flashy (Hyundai...) are hiding something or trying to distract/detract their buyers form the true character of the car. That or trying to garner attention for otherwise undeserving products.

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
VWs car stand out for being clean in a field crowded with fussy and overstyled choices. Yay, first post. The usual suspects from MK6 are here I see.

WadeRoberson

Ready to race!
Car(s)
NA
Which design will stand the test of time?

This:

Or this:

The answer is pretty obvious in my mind...

Slapshot1

Ready to race!
That's a brutal comparison! I don't know who signed off on the new Hondas. But they should resign in disgrace.