GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Disappointed with BFI dogbone insert

CG256

Passed Driver's Ed
Did I miss something? lol what's with the hate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made a comment in a thread that full stage 2 mounts don't in fact ride like a stock car of any make or model and that there can be some noticeable vibrations with the A.C. on or reversing and he got all mad that I mentioned there might be some compromises with installing mounts.

Apparently anything less than a perfect glowing review is suspect to him and he said that I didn't actually have them and I should take pictures. Then like the proper asshole he Is, he called me a Nazi and I took the bait.

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
Back on topic.

BFI Stage 1 insert is great, I had Stage 2 and you definitely could feel it, but overall no issues.

As for the BFI motor mounts you will need to have your knock sensor detuned a bit to run them properly. This was one of the original issues with the APR Stage 3 kit cars, the mounts caused too much resonance and tripped the knock sensors.

rr1santos

Ready to race!
Back on topic.

BFI Stage 1 insert is great, I had Stage 2 and you definitely could feel it, but overall no issues.

As for the BFI motor mounts you will need to have your knock sensor detuned a bit to run them properly. This was one of the original issues with the APR Stage 3 kit cars, the mounts caused too much resonance and tripped the knock sensors.

is this the case with stg1 as well or just stg2?

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
The knock issue with the BFI mounts was at Stage 2, not sure about Stage 1.

Pretty sure the 9 seconds Golf R was on stock motor mounts, I'll have to ask the guy I know who has an MK7R that is part of the "Iroz Master Race".

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Back on topic.

I remember reading up on that a long time ago, I'm pretty sure that was an isolated incident that ended up being a charge pipe clearance issue on the stage 3 car and not the mounts

gn4rwhals

Go Kart Champion
I remember reading up on that a long time ago, I'm pretty sure that was an isolated incident that ended up being a charge pipe clearance issue on the stage 3 car and not the mounts

The mounts caused an issue too, let face it there are multiple issues with the APR Stage 3 kit, thats why they pulled it.

Tyler Aul's car has the knock sensors detuned, before anyone wants to bring that up, he is APR's test case now.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I have my BFI insert sitting in my toolbox. Tried twice to install it and it wouldn't go in. One time I had only the front left side up. Someone told me to keep the car even. My driveway is sloped, so I backed in and put it on stands in the front. Still wouldn't go in. Should I pull in forward and lift the front? put it in neutral? I'm auto.

JLgti

Ready to race!
What I did was put jack stands on all 4 corners. In your situation I'd adjust the jack stand so that you're car will even out. Use a shit ton of silicone spray and bang it in with a rubber mallet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I thought they did, apparently its still sold, I sure as hell wouldn't run it.

CTS Boss looks like a much better option at a much better price

I have my BFI insert sitting in my toolbox. Tried twice to install it and it wouldn't go in. One time I had only the front left side up. Someone told me to keep the car even. My driveway is sloped, so I backed in and put it on stands in the front. Still wouldn't go in. Should I pull in forward and lift the front? put it in neutral? I'm auto.

Jack the front evenly.

Use a bright flashlight to look up in the insert.

Align as needed (the engine will want to rock rearward due to the front going up and the dog bone being disconnected.) A second set of hands helps here

Lube the insert and hammer it in