GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic Stage 1+ & DSG Tune Applied

Hans

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R
2015 GTI w/ ~32k; all stock intake and exhaust. No affiliation to Unitronic and I paid full price for everything from DAP; just a simple review. I purchased the combo from DAP.

http://shopdap.com/mk7-gti-tune/

https://www.getunitronic.com/ecu-tuning/Volkswagen-GTI-20L-TSI-EA888-2015-2015-stage1plus

https://www.getunitronic.com/tcu-tuning/volkswagen-gti-20l-tsi-ea888-2015-2015-stage1dsg

Total time to flash both likely took ~30min. No drama or problems; the software takes you through each step with clear direction.

As you've probably read before, 'this is the way it should have come from the factory'. More and smoother power delivery (especially mid range), better pedal response, better shifts; the refinement is there, more polished, Audi-like. Initial impressions are very positive.

I have not gone WOT yet, but on ramps are excellent! Intake and exhaust are all stock but considering their intake and down pipe now. :D

No pre-flash / baseline dyno data, but I plan to get some pulls done today [Edit: no dyno pulls today]. Will report back. By the way, what gear do most use for pulls? 3rd? Turn off traction control?

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
First off why haven't you done a WOT pull? Lol

If you do decide to dynod use 4th gear since 3rd still has boost by gear in play.

Traction control off wouldn't change anything

And prepare for a broken heart tho, since Unitronic is the most conservative tune on the market. I'd save the $60-100 you'd spend on the dyno and spend the money on something else.

Hans

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R
I can see the broken heart syndrome would be in play if I was going for peak numbers, but I'm not really. Then why did I post about the intake and downpipe, right? Ha. Even without the numbers I'm happy, because at this point, I'm looking for the subjective drivability piece, and with flash I've found it. Chasing peak numbers isn't what I'm after, but more area under the curve is always nice.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
And prepare for a broken heart tho, since Unitronic is the most conservative tune on the market. I'd save the $60-100 you'd spend on the dyno and spend the money on something else.

I doubt most people would tell any difference when sampling most of the stage 1 tunes out there. Certainly nobody is going to be broken-hearted..

Hans

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19 Golf R
I'd just continue modding and skip the dyno, grab a dog bone insert and put that new found power down without wheel hop
Roger that; I appreciate the feedback.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I doubt most people would tell any difference when sampling most of the stage 1 tunes out there. Certainly nobody is going to be broken-hearted..

Stage 1 APR is faster than stage 2 Unitronic by several car lengths in the 1/4 mile. In my personal experience and with several examples of each APR and Uni tuned cars. We had a dozen mk7 at the last test n tune, mph doesn't lie about HP

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Stage 1 APR is faster than stage 2 Unitronic by several car lengths in the 1/4 mile.
Would love to see proof of that, as that would equate to a large time difference. I'm not pulling for either tune - my point is the average Joe is going to get a shit eating grin on their face when they get on their car for the first few times with a new tune.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
I can see the broken heart syndrome would be in play if I was going for peak numbers, but I'm not really. Then why did I post about the intake and downpipe, right? Ha. Even without the numbers I'm happy, because at this point, I'm looking for the subjective drivability piece, and with flash I've found it. Chasing peak numbers isn't what I'm after, but more area under the curve is always nice.

Well why spend all that cash on getting more power when you'll get 1.8T's blowing by you lol. Might as well get the best

dcgtimk7

Go Kart Newbie
I made 334 whp and 351lb-ft stage 2 uni on my mk7 gti. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I had an exhaust cutout between the muffler and the resonator on the stock Catback, a catted downpipe, apr intake, leyo motor sports turbo inlet pipe and a IE intercooler.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Looks like awesome results. Unitronic and Cobb are at the top of my list.