GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

50k miles valve cleaning exploration time

heydabop

Passed Driver's Ed
Isn't the Italian Tune Up basically driving on the freeway at close to redline for like 15 minutes? . . . . that seems a little more excessive to me than a walnut blast every 30K miles?

I think per VW patent docs it's >3k RPM for >20 minutes, so still quite a bit from redline. Hell driving on toll roads in Texas would probably do it for you.

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
I could have sworn someone posted something about this and it stated that you needed to have the car get to a sufficient temp to break up the buildup on the valves. And that required running the car at 5K+ rpms for like 10 minutes? I'm probably remembering it wrong, but its is only 3+K rpms, that is a drive in to work in 5th gear :)

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Used this product twice on the wife's Tig (she doesn't drive hard at all) @40K & 60K.

http://crcindustries.com/gdi/

Both times it produced a definate increase in response, pulled stronger, started instantly, and idled so smooth like it wasn't running. It would stay this way for at least 15K so I know it was working to keep deposits at bay. Granted this was on a Gen2 EA888, but if Gen3 shows a tendency to form deposits (it will, it's D/I), this may be something to consider.

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
I could have sworn someone posted something about this and it stated that you needed to have the car get to a sufficient temp to break up the buildup on the valves. And that required running the car at 5K+ rpms for like 10 minutes? I'm probably remembering it wrong, but its is only 3+K rpms, that is a drive in to work in 5th gear :)

I saw this too. Not sure if it's right or not.

How does one apply the crc product? Through the Intake port?

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Yeah I tried to click it but it seems like a dead end. I will try on a laptop.

If not, search "crc gdi cleaner" on youtube.

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
Found it. I wonder how effective it is going through all the plumbing. I'd think it would evaporate by the time it got there. Maybe I'll try a can.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Yep. On the Tig I disconnected the intake pipe and was able to get straw past MAF sensor. Gen3 has MAP. There is a video embedded in this link showing how to use the product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siRwcnj8-OE
That's so cool. I'm also wondering about our MAP sensor in the Gen3 and how this could work, and George's comment about chemical product getting deep in the cylinder and causing a problem. If this is suitable for us, would be so great.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Isn't the Italian Tune Up basically driving on the freeway at close to redline for like 15 minutes? . . . . that seems a little more excessive to me than a walnut blast every 30K miles?

Damn, 15 minutes at redline?? No way, just high rpm/WOT driving for a bit every week. What does it cost to have someone walnut blast, like $400? Unless you do it yourself and depending on how you value your time or money, it seems excessive if the service is unnecessary. If its shown to provide significant benefit to our engines at such low miles, I'm in 100% as well.

My car is approaching 19k miles, I'll scope it this weekend and post the results.

I'm pretty hard on my car, so we'll see how well the Italian method is/isn't working.

Very interested to see results, keep us posted!

erikweber321

Ready to race!
OP here! Damn this thread took off.

Anyway, I got lazy/cheap and couldn't do it last time.

I'm back at 75k on the 2015 GTI and I'm putting out service quote requests all over the place this week in lower NY, so I'll catalogue the adventure. 75k is the general accepted mark at which we see what this really does to our engines.

That 2015 means it's got the first version of the PCV which has undergone many revisions, probably for obvious reasons. I'll probably upgrade PCV once I do this as well.

I'll aim to include pressure testing before/after!

Pics!

Time to start....

And then do it all over again with new spark plugs.

Stay tuned!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I tried to scope my car but couldn't get the scope all the way in...cheap Amazon scope, couldn't see shit.

I'll be curious to see what yours looks like OP.