GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

18" wheels that can take a good beating?

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Thinking of downsizing my 19" Praetorias due to the terrible condition of the roads around Boston to some 18s. I have 17s for winter, so they'll take the worst of the roads, but the roads are still pretty crap in summer.

I'm looking at flowformed wheels to keep the strength high, but I'm a bit concerned about running something TOO light for durability reasons.

The wheels I'm considering:
Enkei Raijin, 20lbs, $210/corner

Oz Leggera HLT, 18.1 lbs, $299/corner

Oz Formula HLT, 21 lbs, $332/corner (without the stupid "centerlock" caps)

Neuspeed RSe12, 19ish lbs, $320/corner

Neuspeed RSe11, ? lbs, $310/corner

Any others I should look at around this price range? HREs are right out, and while I'd love some BBS CH-Rs, I just can't justify the extra $800! Should I be looking for something a bit meatier than these to keep strength up?

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I believe the RSE11s are around 22-23lbs.

tax guy

Passed Driver's Ed
The Neuspeed RSe12 is a great wheel that does not require centering rings and accepts VW lug nuts and center caps. It is listed on the Neuspeed website as $299.95 with free shipping, but a Google search shows other vendors sell it for $285, also with free shipping. I am not familiar with Emnoteck, USP Motorsports, ESE Tuning, NGP Racing, Modded Euros, UroTuning, and other vendors that might be selling it for $285, but if any forum members know of a good Neuspeed discount vendor, please chime in.

One of the best Enkei wheels that I have found is the TS-10 Storm Grey at $225 plus shipping. It is 1 piece cast flow formed and weighs 19.55 pounds. With the Conti DWS 06 tires it would be about $145 plus shipping with the wheels and tires already mounted and balanced.

AR11

Ready to race!
All of those are perfectly suitable. The RSe11 is probably the sturdiest -- the straight spoke designs are tougher than mesh/webbed style spokes. I chatted with the Neuspeed guys about this wheel while they were developing it and they described it as being a more motorsports oriented alternative to the RSe10. From a pothole perspective you're probably more concerned with the beefiness of the rim the neuspeed again looks the beefiest to me but I haven't seen the RSe11 in person (though I've had 2 sets of the RSe10 and they have beefy rims).

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
Just check the load ratings of the wheels you're interested in. A good quality 18" flow formed wheel should have a rating around 1500lbs. Even better quality flow formed wheels will approach 1600lbs which is bordering on the strength of forged wheels. Obviously, a lighter weight with a high load rating is what you're looking for. You can get flow formed wheels these days that are sub 18lbs for an 18x8/8.5" with a load rating of almost 1600lbs for a very decent price. Konig, 720Form, Neuspeed, etc. are good places to look.

Coming from OEM VW 18" wheels like the Austins that are 25lbs each, into an 18lbs wheel nets you a 28lbs reduction in un-sprung weight overall. Very, very substantial reduction.

airjor13

Ready to race!
Team Dynamic wheels can take a real good beating!

mursepaolo

Ready to race!
Loving the look of the RSe12

VOA West

Passed Driver's Ed
Volk TE37 are pretty strong wheels

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Just check the load ratings of the wheels you're interested in. A good quality 18" flow formed wheel should have a rating around 1500lbs. Even better quality flow formed wheels will approach 1600lbs which is bordering on the strength of forged wheels. Obviously, a lighter weight with a high load rating is what you're looking for. You can get flow formed wheels these days that are sub 18lbs for an 18x8/8.5" with a load rating of almost 1600lbs for a very decent price. Konig, 720Form, Neuspeed, etc. are good places to look.

Coming from OEM VW 18" wheels like the Austins that are 25lbs each, into an 18lbs wheel nets you a 28lbs reduction in un-sprung weight overall. Very, very substantial reduction.

I'm coming from the 19" Pretorias which are only 22lbs, so not as big a weight savings after the added tire weight from switching to 18s. That said, the 18s should last a hell of a lot longer, and not cost $600 a wheel to replace when they inevitably get trashed!

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
CCW, but they are probably above your budget.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mursepaolo

Ready to race!
What about Enkei RPF-1? Probably 1k for a set.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
RSe11 are 22lbs. I weighed mine before mounting them and they weighed 21.6lbs to be exact.

Too bad the Hypergram isn't in 19. Would be 18-19 lbs