GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bilstein B8 or Koni Yellow W/ VWR springs?

scorptrigger

Passed Driver's Ed
Which is "better" and what are the advantages of each strut?
Also why do people consider the DG springs to be slightly superior to the VWR springs? Is it directly related to the fact that they do not lower the car quite as much, therefore they do not loose as much performance/longevity with the stock struts?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
The Konis are a great option since they're adjustable and perfect for the street/DD

The Bilsteins will be on the stiffer side and are a performance (tracking/canyon carving) oriented setup

jdlavelle1975

Passed Driver's Ed
The B8 Bilsteins are a great set-it-and-forget-it option. They are much stiffer than the OEM dampers for sure. The B6 Bilsteins are not as firmly damped, so they could be an option if you want closer to an OEM type of ride. The Koni's are WAY stiffer if they're adjusted full-hard compared to the B8's. But, adjusted all the way soft, are closer to the stock damper ride. I've used both extensively on different setups, and both are great options.

Rod Paine

Passed Driver's Ed
The B8 Bilsteins are a great set-it-and-forget-it option. They are much stiffer than the OEM dampers for sure. The B6 Bilsteins are not as firmly damped, so they could be an option if you want closer to an OEM type of ride. The Koni's are WAY stiffer if they're adjusted full-hard compared to the B8's. But, adjusted all the way soft, are closer to the stock damper ride. I've used both extensively on different setups, and both are great options.
I think perhaps you have your Bilstein numbers mixed-up. The B8 is for use with shorter springs, not stock springs. The B6 is for use with the stock springs and is much firmer/faster than the stock shock absorber. The B4 is very nearly identical to the stock shock, but is a tiny bit firmer. We've discovered that the B6 installed on our 2015 Golf TDI 6-speed results in a suspension feel that is nearly identical to our 2015 Golf R DCC/DSG set in normal mode. Nice going between the TDI and the R with their very close suspension feeling.
-Rod

mursepaolo

Ready to race!
Sorry to revive a dead thread, but I'm also looking for an answer to the DG vs VWR question. I'm also looking for good alternatives to coilovers for DD and canyons. I dealt with coilovers for my Accord and never messed with the height adjustment once I set it, so I'm really just looking for good damping adjustment. Any recommendations would be great.

Last edited:

mursepaolo

Ready to race!
Last edited: