GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DKM twin clutch (organic)

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
The pedal was noticeably stiffer with an inconsistent feel throughout, but it was easy to get used to and now it feels smooth like stock. I occasionally drive a '64 Mustang around town and I can say I'm cool with any clutch lighter than one that requires the knee cap mod down the road.

I get the feeling there aren't too many on these forums that have experienced a real, heavy, classic muscle car clutch.

Is the bleeder valve in the picture I posted originally? How can I get more fluid to help the initial engagement and will this compromise the clutch's ability to hold torque?

The engagement in first is definitely starting to smooth out as I go easy on it. I've done nothing but painfully slow engagement for a couple days (only off the line into first, normal engagement for all other gears). Now a normal engagement into first feels significantly better than I explained before. Will continue and provide another update later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does a Chevy big block 12" count?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
The pedal was noticeably stiffer with an inconsistent feel throughout, but it was easy to get used to and now it feels smooth like stock. I occasionally drive a '64 Mustang around town and I can say I'm cool with any clutch lighter than one that requires the knee cap mod down the road.

I get the feeling there aren't too many on these forums that have experienced a real, heavy, classic muscle car clutch.

Is the bleeder valve in the picture I posted originally? How can I get more fluid to help the initial engagement and will this compromise the clutch's ability to hold torque?

The engagement in first is definitely starting to smooth out as I go easy on it. I've done nothing but painfully slow engagement for a couple days (only off the line into first, normal engagement for all other gears). Now a normal engagement into first feels significantly better than I explained before. Will continue and provide another update later.

The clutch hydraulics have no play in its ability to hold torque, that's the pressure plates job. The bleeder block flowing more fluid improves clutch feel by allowing your input at the pedal to directly transfer to the clutch. Stock it has a delay valve so even if you side step the clutch it meters the fluid and only allows it to slowly release (slowly being fractions of a second, but slower than the pedal movement to the point of being notable)

As for heavy clutches, I've personally driven a few 60s Mopars with a heavier than pleasant clutch.

If you really want a leg workout drive a diesel truck with a performance clutch. My Cummins had a 3400# pressure plate

Quaalu

The clutch hydraulics have no play in its ability to hold torque, that's the pressure plates job. The bleeder block flowing more fluid improves clutch feel by allowing your input at the pedal to directly transfer to the clutch. Stock it has a delay valve so even if you side step the clutch it meters the fluid and only allows it to slowly release (slowly being fractions of a second, but slower than the pedal movement to the point of being notable)

As for heavy clutches, I've personally driven a few 60s Mopars with a heavier than pleasant clutch.

If you really want a leg workout drive a diesel truck with a performance clutch. My Cummins had a 3400# pressure plate

So I'm at about 1000 miles now. The engagement into first is still choppy and I'd like to release the clutch faster without feeling like I'm destroying it and the transmission.

I think I will be looking into the bleeder block Jake is talking about. Will this eliminate the choppy engagement? It is currently smooth if I release slowly, but if I'm taking off uphill or with some gas its a bumpy ride, not to mention it doesn't sound very good.

Quaalu

So I was able to remove the valve in the bleeder block, and the clutch feels much better. The engagement into first is still rough and remains feeling like a knocking/shudder. I'm not sure what to try next. Is this possibly nothing to worry about? Or maybe a more serious issue?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Try re bleeding the clutch and topping off the fluid. With the pedal on the floor going into first should be smooth if everything is correct

Quaalu

Update at ~1500 miles. I received the ECS bleeder block and ECS stainless steel clutch hose. During installation I was able to re-bleed the clutch as recommend by Gti Jake. Smooth engagement achieved! If I had to put my money on it I would say the solution was a good bleed (thanks Gti Jake). I think the block and hose add to the overall smoothness factor as well.

Damn, what a beautifully made clutch!

You shouldn't be using that much throttle at low rpm, it's really hard on engine internals. But anyway congrats on the car and welcome to the forum.

My clutch slips too but I'm just gonna drive around it (drop more gears before getting into boost) till mines actually worn since I plan on keeping the car past 200,000 miles and don't wanna do multiple clutch changes.
Jake, I find it quite odd driving a car I can't put the foot down with. ;)

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
So how is the revs now that you are rocking the SMF w/this clutch kit? Chatter? I think this will be my next clutch.

Thanks for keeping us updated on this clutch Quaalu

Quaalu

So how is the revs now that you are rocking the SMF w/this clutch kit? Chatter? I think this will be my next clutch.

Thanks for keeping us updated on this clutch Quaalu

Now approaching about 2k miles on the clutch and there is hardly any chatter felt after re-bleeding the clutch a few times. You can hear it slightly when in neutral. You can also feel it chatter when you engage into first under 1300 rpms. At 1500+ rpms engagement is smooth.

Glad to say this is the result I was looking for and can officially recommended this to those of you looking to upgrade.

Thinking about removing the other delay valve in the clutch line located near the firewall. Added APR shifter bracket, APR short shifter, and 42 draft designs shifter bushings - which didn't fit within the length of the metal pins on the shifter. Overall I love this clutch and would choose it again.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Damn, what a beautifully made clutch!

Jake, I find it quite odd driving a car I can't put the foot down with. ;)

Yeah ok it's hard not to some times. It's helping to break me of driving it like a diesel tho and that's a good thing. I've spent a few hundred thousand miles driving my Cummins and Tdi and loved the torque

Now approaching about 2k miles on the clutch and there is hardly any chatter felt after re-bleeding the clutch a few times. You can hear it slightly when in neutral. You can also feel it chatter when you engage into first under 1300 rpms. At 1500+ rpms engagement is smooth.

Glad to say this is the result I was looking for and can officially recommended this to those of you looking to upgrade.

Thinking about removing the other delay valve in the clutch line located near the firewall. Added APR shifter bracket, APR short shifter, and 42 draft designs shifter bushings - which didn't fit within the length of the metal pins on the shifter. Overall I love this clutch and would choose it again.

Awesome man glad to hear it's another great option for our cars

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Just some interesting info I came across, according to ECS info on this clutch it's made by Competition Clutch, who also makes BFI's clutch kits.

I personally have heard nothing but good about them outside of a thread on this forum regarding BFI stage 3, which turned out to be installed incorrectly

PlaidDad

Ready to race!
What's a realistic install labor cost for a new clutch, and does the type of clutch make any difference?

MK6 DSG driver lurking here, debating DSG vs 6MT for the MK7 in my future

Thx