GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit the rear window spoiler fins to a Mk7 Golf Estate/Variant/S.W.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Disclaimer:- This info is for community usage. I am NOT affiliated to, or sponsored by, any company/individual to promote them or their products. Companies/individuals may NOT use my name, photos, or threads/technical guides, for financial or personal gain (fraudulent misrepresentation).

Part 1 of 1
Vehicle used in this guide

UK spec, 2014yr model, Mk7 Golf Estate (GSW), GT (Highline) trim, 1.4lt TSI (140PS) CHPA petrol engine, MQ250 6speed manual gearbox, multi-link rear suspension.

Vehicles that this guide is applicable to
Any VW Mk7 Golf Estate (GSW).

Introduction
Why do this? Have you noticed how easily dirt builds up over the rear window? This is due to the way the air moves around the rear body pillars & is sucked back across the glass due to the negative pressure over the rear window.

Research
Most “eco” cars have fins around their rear windows to guide the air flow as it leaves the cars bodywork. This creates less drag & turbulence, thus keeping the rear window cleaner, & helping improve the mpg! The standard Mk7 Golf Estate (GSW) does not have these, but the “eco” 1.0lt Bluemotion version does, & so do the “high-performance”, GTD, & R versions!

Parts required
VAG ETKA illustration for VW Golf Mk7 Variant/Body/No.827-010

VW parts list & approx. costs in UK £
Item No.50:- 5G9 805 945 041,
Spoiler, gloss black, left side, £39.76 (x1)
Item No.50:- 5G9 805 946 041, Spoiler, gloss black, right side, £39.76 (x1)
These items come pre-fitted with adhesive pads, & tape.

Fitting
You will notice that the top inner edge if the fin curves inwards to the underside of the roof spoiler “edge-curve”. This is correct as I have seen numerous photos on the web & actual cars to verify that this is the correct fitment! Clean the rear window & surrounding metal work as you would normally wash the car. Dry the area thoroughly, then using low-tack masking/detailing tape mark off the area where the fin goes. I did this by holding the fin in position & allowing a further 5mm. Now is a good time to get to know the correct position & trial fit it as once it has been “stuck” down there is no going back!

Now pour some methylated spirits into a clean cloth/paper towel & wipe this marked off area. Then using a clean, dry lint free cloth (I used a linen union glass cloth) polish/dry. Repeat this several times until it is squeaky clean. Also do this to the paintwork on the roof edge spoiler where the fin joins.
Now using either a hair dryer or a hot air gun (on low heat) warm the area up & also the fin. Take your time to gently warm them up. This helps with the adhesive qualities & flex for installation.

Now remove the white film from the adhesive pad on the top “triangle” part on the fin, & get the silver pull tabs on the main adhesive strips correctly flat etc, DO NOT remove these main covers for the two adhesive strips yet! Place the fin about 1inch down from the top on the glass, & carefully slide it up to the top metal roof spoiler. Make sure that the outer edge of the fin is aligned with the hatch bodywork & glass (keep the hatch/fin to car body gap the same as the metalwork above & below the fin), & hold the spoiler down by this outer edge as you do this. With the top part “stuck”, now gently lift the rest of the fin away from the glass by a small amount & pull the top silver tab connected to the covers for the two main adhesive strips. Once you have completely removed these strips carefully align the fin & press against the glass. Now gently press along the fin to help it stick to the glass.

I waited 24hrs & then using some automotive black silicone sealant, sealed all the way around the fin (except for the bottom edge) to totally seal it in, otherwise water etc. would get in the gap between the fin & the glass, as VW don’t make a perfectly tight fit!

Further considerations on fitting
I would not do as I have done to seal up the gap between the glass & the fin, as it caused problems in “finishing” to the standard I like & took loads of time! Instead, I would recommend removing the OEM two vertical main adhesive strips from the back of the fins. These are set back from the edges of the fins, & using new 3M body tape fit a new set following the vertical edges of the fin. I would also fit some new tape to the top triangle which abuts the paintwork, as the point doesn’t have anything on it. Do not seal/tape the bottom edge & do not seal the gap at the top of the window the paintwork. These are drain channels. Also if any water gets in at the top behind the fin it should be able to drain down & out of the bottom edge! The edge of the tape will seal/fill the visible gap between the glass & the fin.

Results
Although it does not totally stop my rear window from getting very dirty, in now takes much longer to do so than before! Also my rear screen wash appears to spread better at high speed! Then there is the “look”, subtle, but the car looks properly “finished” now, i.e. as if it was meant to have them from the factory.

Conclusions
Yet another perfect example of penny pinching from the bean counters at VAG by not fitting a functional item to all trim levels.

ETKA rear fin for estate.jpg

Rear-fin-mod.jpg

Last edited:

Silkblue16

Passed Driver's Ed
Please post better pics of this if you can! Also where could one purchase these from?
Thank you

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Please post better pics of this if you can! Also where could one purchase these from?
Thank you

Those are the only pics I took during the install, if you look at my post here for another rear view picture:-
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=239124&postcount=24

I bought these from the Dealers, but I am in UK, you are in USA & you do not get the 1.0lt Bluemotion or the GTD or the R version estates which these come from & I stated in the OP.

I suggest you put the part numbers into the web & search for a company which will ship them over.

Silkblue16

Passed Driver's Ed
Golfdave! Thank you!

MrVaskis

Hi, Dave!
I think almost any Golf7 user has noticed those small vertical spoilers on GTI. And bigger ones for R-line Variant I like even better

However there is also jetta hybrid/e-golf/1.0tsi aero-style front grill.

What your opinion?

It would be great for winter, and maybe even some minimal fuel saving could be noticed. Install should be super easy, two torx click-click and done.

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Hi, Dave!
I think almost any Golf7 user has noticed those small vertical spoilers on GTI. And bigger ones for R-line Variant I like even better

What your opinion?

It would be great for winter, and maybe even some minimal fuel saving could be noticed. Install should be super easy, two torx click-click and done.

Can you please post pics of what you are referring to!

Thanks!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Hi, Dave!

What your opinion?

please start another thread for this...:cool:

& YES it is a straight easy swap, people have done this before many times on Mk7 Golf, mainly for GTI grill, but e-golf will fit also.

just watch the position of the blue or chrome line as this should match the one in the headlights, which is different for xenons & different for standard halogens....

Last edited:

gopi_rm

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for your DIY. :)
I have done the retrofit today to my Mk7 Estate.
Quoting from another thread:
Retrofitted side spoiler fins at the rear.
Cost: €85 from a VW Dealer in eBay

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks for the write up on this. I just wanted to share how painted bits look on the car. �� The "look" is definitely one of being finished now.

Nice one!..:cool:

Being painted the fins will be more noticeable, as the OEM gloss black disappears into the window surround which is also gloss black.

But still looks better than the "naked" look without the fins...

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate