GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Common issues: creaking front suspension.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Right just seeing if that was the issue. Good time to consider the ecs arms id say if i cant get warrantied anywau

theArb!ter

Just spoken to the garage I took my car to and mentioned the work that was done on RTID75.

It's gonna cost at least £500 for the same to be done on my car. Plus as mine is on the rear it's going to be guessing work as it may not fix the issue.

So disappointed with this car, had it just over a year thinking about getting rid of it

theArb!ter

Got the rear shock absorbers replaced today with bilstien shocks.

Sadly it's still making the noise. But I now think the noise is coming from the front of the car!!!!

The car has done 45000 miles. One of the rear shocks replaced today was broke. The mechanic was surprised, the standard shocks put on the car are pants!

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Shocking news is that after wishbone replacement the front suspension is now silent. The car is quieter than it's ever been. It seems likely that even at times when it wasn't actually creaking before it was noisier than it should have been.

Now, the waiting game to see when (not if) it comes back.

theArb!ter

Update about my car.

My car isnt in warranty so having to pay for everything myself. Its 13 plate GT. Jsut turned 4 years old.

My noise is a creaking/crunching from the rear drivers side and it can be heard more when its very cold and I dont hear at all when its raining.

So I took my car to the main dealership on Monday (6th March) a technician came out with me and said he could hear the creaking noise a little. I told him as it had been raining on the Sunday and I had been out in it the noise wasn't as bad as it normally is.

I left it with the garage and got a call back a few hours later saying the noise was being caused by a sensor. It had come loose and it was now tucked away the technician had been out in the car and couldnt hear the noise anymore.

I collected the car and I didnt go more then 100 yards from the garage and I heard the noise . You can imagine how annoyed I was. The car went back into the garage on the Wednesday. Again a technician came out with me and this time the noise was a lot louder as the car was now dry.

I called the garage today as I hadnt heard anything back from them and was passed to the senior technician who said;

"We can hear the noise, and we agree with the recent dry conditions the noise is now louder. However on 4 test drives we have heard the noise only a couple of times. We cant replicate the noise in the garage and everything under the car looks in good condition and is safe to drive. I recommend you leave it, we could start taking the car apart but things dont go back together as well and this can cause more issues"

I cant express how disappointed I am right now. This is my first and last VW, I cant believe how bad this car is. I have spent so far upwards of £300 on parts (new rear shock absorbers) and for two garages to try and diagnose the problem yet still Im no closer to finding out the root cause.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
I think you will find that it's the front wishbone bushes. It's hard to determine if it's coming from the front or rear from inside the car.

I had exactly the same problems though, the dealer couldn't reproduce it at all, so every little thing they touched, they test drove the car and declared it "fixed".

For an update on my car (not in warranty either, but I kicked up enough stink they covered it), the replacement wishbone bushes remain quiet, ish. I can still get it to creak subtlely on the right speed ramps in the right circumstances, but it's nowhere near as loud as it was. VW are not interested in fixing this, but I'm confident it's a design flaw in the front wishbone bushes.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Most bushes at some time start to creak.......usually the ARB ones on various older VAG cars...

TBH mine so far is quiet, but as & when it does I'll be replacing with superpro or Meyle HD...

I know the front ARB droplinks are another VAG weak point & Meyle do HD versions...yay!!

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Our golf creaked even with the arb disconnected; and meanwhile my 21 yr old Corrado has silent wishbone bushes, despite them being essentially the same design. Poor show by VW. Third party will be a better bet I think.

My 2013 Golf 7 GTi has done this since new, now already 127 000km later and VW could still not resolve this noise after replacing Struts, bottom engine mount and sway bar. However a local body repair shop has lubricated the lower control arms with brake fluid and this stopped the noise for a longer period of time than the lithium grease that VW suggests doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
However a local body repair shop has lubricated the lower control arms with brake fluid and this stopped the noise for a longer period of time than the lithium grease that VW suggests doing.

That's because the fluid will soften up the rubber as it soaks into it more...

Part of the problem with most of the rubber bushes is that the rubber dry's out/get salt corrosion & then any flex = creak...

polybush is quieter...;)

BTW the rear bush on the front lower wishbone is an old Mk4 design ...bloody stupid, the design on the MK5/6 & Fabia/Polo/Seat from 2000 is a way better version

vrod

Ready to race!
Sorry for reviving this old thread but just wanted to know if the wishbone fix is still good? I got a 14' gti with 72k km's on the clock and almost want to throw myself out of the window because of this noise! I got access to free garage labour so if the wishbone fix is still good I would try that out.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
It works, in that the noise is less bad for a while, but frankly i have detected it again almost immediately after replacing them. It's nowhere near as bad yet though. Like i said to vw but they were unwilling to believe, this is clearly a design flaw.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

My car has now around 85.000 km and having the noise from new. At first the service told me that they cant hear the sound, after that, when finally heared that it is normal... Now I would like to change something, even if I will pay the bill... but I don't know what! The greasing didn't have great effect

Last edited:

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
The greasing *can* have an effect if they do it right, but it's temporary. Your only option is to replace the wishbone bushes as they are what creaks. Easiest is to buy new control arms, they come with new bushes pre-fitted.

...if it creaks, it's probably made by VAG

lokerola

Ready to race!
The greasing *can* have an effect if they do it right, but it's temporary. Your only option is to replace the wishbone bushes as they are what creaks. Easiest is to buy new control arms, they come with new bushes pre-fitted.

...if it creaks, it's probably made by VAG

Most interesting. I heard some creaking/squeaking from my 17 GTI the other morning and I assumed it was from the DG springs combined with the stock strut mounts/bearings. But now I'm not so sure. Hmm...

I wonder if there's a heavy duty poly bushing that can be inserted in place of the stock bushings in the control arms?

Sorry to hear it's still noisy.

EDIT** I went to ECS's site and there's lot of poly control arm bushings available. Anyone try to fix the squeaking with these?

Last edited: