GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
With the 5mt it's a real struggle because 6500rpm in 3rd is 110mph. Keep looking around for a spot, even a pull to 100mph is much more useful.

Looking at your log is a little confusing to me because you're not running very aggressive boost and your timing is super high but you're still getting a large amount of correction. Which fuel are you running? I wouldn't expect it to have this much correction even with 87, but regardless it's important that you use the highest octane you have available.

I barely see any corrections at all. He's has some that are a little over 1. That is nothing. Look how much advance he has through the entire pull though. That's the highest advance I've see in the lower range. And bad quality has will really make a difference. I'll dig up a log of 92 octane that I tried which had lots of corrections

17S

I had a tank of 89 with about 3 gallons of 93 added half way through. I ran map zero until that was way down in the red and then bought 7 or 8 gallons of Sunoco 93. I ran some map 1 and 2 on this then went to map 6. I wish there was a simple way to verify that you are getting what you are paying for when buying 93.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I had a tank of 89 with about 3 gallons of 93 added half way through. I ran map zero until that was way down in the red and then bought 7 or 8 gallons of Sunoco 93. I ran some map 1 and 2 on this then went to map 6. I wish there was a simple way to verify that you are getting what you are paying for when buying 93.

Here is an old log I found of 93 octane on the stock downpipe. I think the only thing different I eventually did was started to raid the boost level up in the lower rpms. Like start more at 2,500. Peak at 4,000 and then start to taper from there
http://www.datazap.me/u/jcranwell/185t-165psi?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-5-6-11-18-25-26

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i

Hm, in that case it must have been a fluke. There is no reason you should have correction with that modest of boost settings and 93 octane fuel. Try doing another log when you can.

17S

@meltedsolid et al

I will definitely post more logs. I appreciate you all taking the time to look at them!

ChrisTSI

Ready to race!
Im running 94 octane in ontario , these are my settings.
1500 12
2000 13
2500 14
3000 15
3500 16
4000 18
4500 18
5000 18
5500 18
6000 15
6500 14
7000 13.5

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
what should ign1 be at or under or over

Run a map 4 log as a baseline. Then compare the ign1 numbers to your map 6. Wherever it lower by 2 or more than it was on map 4, you need to lower the boost some. Chances are that without a downpipe, those settings are too high

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
What do we know today? Does higher FOL make the mix more rich? Lower trims?

A lot of the original info for the JB4 was based on what works for the 2.0 engines. The 1.8 works differently. The gti sometimes has issues at FOL 60 and they have to lower it a little bit. With us, we have gone as high as 75 with positive results. The higher the FOL, the more fuel rail pressure. Most tunes are fine at 60. If you start blending in e85, add a downpipe and start pushing the. Post higher, your trims will get too high and the AFR will lean out. Then you will need to increase the FOL. I think Ton tried FOL 80, but he got a CEL. I'm at 75 when I run some e85 and Ironshade is at 75 with the IS20 and some e85.