GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New owner questions

Pete-r

Hi everyone, I traded my BMW M135i with the sterile auto box for a May '16 GTI manual which I'm already finding so much more enjoyable.

I've got a few questions though having searched I can't find answers to...

There's a noise behind the dash when the cars is turned on after a minute or two whether the engine is running or not. It sounds a bit like a PC fan. Sometimes it turns off after a while. I'm wondering if it's a fan on the audio system. It's definitely not the engine fan or heater fans.

The alternator makes a noise like an old dot matrix printer when the can is turned off. There is a YouTube video of it here and people say it's normal electric oil pump.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bkw77Al_zsM

Only thing I'm a little let down by, the car is from a vw dealer and has been used by one of their managers for 6 months so they know it from new. They are positive the paint is original but there are two lacquer drops formed on the front of the bonnet where is arches over the top of the VW logo. You can't see it when closed but if you reach under for the clasp you can feel them on the underside lip. Dunno whether to get them to sort it I assume it's an easy job for them to rub it down.

Last edited:

Slapshot1

Ready to race!
Hi Pete-r. I've heard that noise also and wondered what it is. Maybe someone will come along and answer for both of us!

Welcome to Golfmk7!

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
There is a electric water pump that runs for 2-4 minutes after you turn the car off. The "dot matrix sound" you mentioned is not the alternator. It's likely to be the thermostat.

There's a TON of useful information about the ea888 gen 3 in the self study guide as well:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26886

The one to read through first is the "SSP 606 Audi 1,8l- and 2.0l TFSI engines of series EA888 (3rd generation)"

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Fair enough that's one I don't need to concern myself with then.

Anyone else get the 'fan' behind the dash?
Yes. There's a built-in fan that's in the "cd player" above the glove box. The cd player also has a built-in amp. The fan helps to cool it down.

That said you can also hear that electric water pump right after you turn the car off (when coolant and oil temperatures are above a certain point).

Pete-r

Ok, thanks for the help.

Maybe it turns on a timer as well, I got inthe car this morning on a chilly day, didn't start the car just playing with the controls, and the noise started after less than a minute. Ran for about 4 mins then turned off.

Wouldn't have thought it was getting warm that fast but I guess there's zero natural cooling in the glove box.

Overall got to say I'm loving the car so much more than the BMW :):):)

defcon5

Ready to race!
Only thing I'm a little let down by, the car is from a vw dealer and has been used by one of their managers for 6 months so they know it from new. They are positive the paint is original but there are two lacquer drops formed on the front of the bonnet where is arches over the top of the VW logo. You can't see it when closed but if you reach under for the clasp you can feel them on the underside lip. Dunno whether to get them to sort it I assume it's an easy job for them to rub it down.

My 16 Golf R has this same lacquer drops. I was curious when I notice this last week. I call my brother in Italy, he has same lacquer drops on his R too. Must be someting the Germans do :)
My wife GTI, made in Mexico, does not have this.

mickR

Ready to race!
Would leave the lacquer alone, if you take it in it will probably come out looking worse. Mate of mine just got rid of BMW 135i and got a Golf, much happier now.

Pete-r

To be honest Mick that's my worry, the actual paint is mirror finish and looks spotless.

I think I might use it as leverage to try to get some 'good will' from the dealer lol.

Both cars have their plus points. The BMW is WAY faster, and the infotainment system on the pro nav much better, but the auto box is souless in my view.