GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Convince me on an R! Or don't

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
To be honest, if you've already invested in modifying your GTI PP and plan to do similarly to an R, you won't see all that much difference between driving the two cars on the street, outside of the winter months. However, driving the R in the snow (with winter tires) is a hoot, and being an ex-Chicagoan I can fully understand how important that can be. The only other reason to switch over to an R is exclusivity and the notice which you'll get in your R that will never come with a GTI. If that's worth the additional $5K that you'll shell out over a similarly equipped GTI, go get that R, otherwise be content having a great FWD hot hatch.

But, if you're dead set on going the R route, I'd wait until the Mk7.5's get over here as they'll have the new 7 speed DSG, configurable instrumentation screen, LED headlights, and likely other interesting upgrades--if you can deal with the changes to the bumper/grill.

TonyG1

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, you're in Chicago, so I can't recommend the Shelby GT350. I for the life of me cannot see a drawback to this R, great vehicle mizzle.

TechRoss

Ready to race!
Put some money into hybrid turbo options, get some new wheels, put some body bits on and you will feel like you got a new car and be happy, and you will still be driving a GTi...

reemizzle

Ready to race!
Slowly leaning towards the IS38/IC route. have most the supporting mods for it already. eating the difference in price will kill me

KO7

Ready to race!
I would recommend not throwing money away to get the R if you have a GTI and even more so if you've done some substantial mods already. They're not THAT different to matter in daily driving to throw away that much money.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Soooo, I've had an MK7 GTI PP/DAP/DSG for almost a year.

Stop right there - unless you're a trust fund baby, or hedge fund manager, just.. no. You'll take a financial bath. Then, in another year down the road, you'll want something else again. Car debt will haunt you forever.

Makes zero financial sense, except possibly in the above (or similar) scenarios. Otherwise, enjoy the GTI, drive it for at least a few more years.

Golf R1

Ready to race!
Soooo, I've had an MK7 GTI PP/DAP/DSG for almost a year.

Over the past couple months I've been mulling over possibly switching up to an R. Still DSG.

Current mods are in my sig for the GTI.

Main reasoning behind it is I'd really like to have the AWD obviously, and performance upgrade obviously.

With the R I'd be bringing over the CAI and putting it to STG 2 as well.

I'm stuck in this decision. HELP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Get an R, you won't regret it. AWD is a must with stage II. It's safer and handles the increased HP better. Those who feel AWD is for snow alone are simply mistaken. I live in Florida and prefer AWD as a daily driver. The benefits are not limited to snow driving. Good luck with your decision.

reemizzle

Ready to race!
Stop right there - unless you're a trust fund baby, or hedge fund manager, just.. no. You'll take a financial bath. Then, in another year down the road, you'll want something else again. Car debt will haunt you forever.

Makes zero financial sense, except possibly in the above (or similar) scenarios. Otherwise, enjoy the GTI, drive it for at least a few more years.

Lol this is the biggest thing that's been in my mind. Car people can always come up with a but hey....I can afford the little more expensive payment....

Most likely won't end up happening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gti330ex

Go Kart Newbie
So OP, what's the need for going IS38 route? You said 99% of our driving is on streets. Are these streets in corn fields, or DeKalb? I'd think stage1 or stage2 GTI is plenty of power for the streets (Chicago and the surrounding burbs).

The reason I was asking you about the highway vs. street usage is because your GTI has by far better gearing suitable for highways over the R. SO if you're constantly on the highway, it might be something to look into. This was one of my deal breakers when I was shopping for an R as I couldn't stand MK6 GTI's useless 6th gear, which is nearly identical to mK7 R's. To me, it might as well have been a 5spd. Maybe it's just me, but I appreciate an improvement in this department over my 90's 5spds when cruising on highways. This is a luxury feature/benefit to have IMO.

KO7

Ready to race!
Yup, can confirm that my R's highway gearing is ridiculous. Loud and thirsty for fuel.

bpw

Ready to race!
Stop right there - unless you're a trust fund baby, or hedge fund manager, just.. no. You'll take a financial bath

Ding ding ding...

This is my first car payment in literally over 15 years I've always paid cash for 7-10k cars. And I can say car payments suck, can't wait till I pay this off and just enjoy it. You know you're gonna take a beating on the GTI then of course dealers make profit on cars then the car depreciates. Add your mods you've done, add the mods you're gonna do and whoa man that's gonna be one expensive R. Unless you're rich then F it go for it.

defcon5

Ready to race!
one of each? :D

IMG_20170226_123725338.jpg