GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How do I know if I've got MIB2?

Leopold1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI DSG PP MY 2016
What is the easiest way to find out if I've got MIB2 ?
Would that normally be listed in my copy of the spec check list?
At the same time, what exactly is MIB2?

I'd like to activate App-Connect which I believe was factory loaded when the car was built around March last year.
I get the "see your dealer for activation code" message when I press App-Connect in Menu.
Does that mean I've got a MIB2 by default :confused:

Leopold

Mbarton36

Ready to race!
Plug your iOS or android phone into the USB in the front compartment under the radio and if apple car play or android auto comes up on the screen you're good to go. There's no charge for the app-connectivity with your phone. All MY 2016+ should have the ability to use the app-connect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leopold1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI DSG PP MY 2016
Plug your iOS or android phone into the USB in the front compartment under the radio and if apple car play or android auto comes up on the screen you're good to go. There's no charge for the app-connectivity with your phone. All MY 2016+ should have the ability to use the app-connect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mbarton36, excellent thank you.
I've got an iPhone SE and I'll try it out tomorrow.

"All MY 2016+ should have the ability to use the app-connect "
That's very reassuring as my car is definitely MY16

Thanks again, Leopold

Leopold1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI DSG PP MY 2016
Mbarton36, it did not work.
I thought it might not be that easy ��
I got the same 'go get an activation key from your dealer'
I think that's the next step, right?

Leopold

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Yes, if you have the App connect nag screen telling you that you need a code, then you do at least have MIB II.

Here in the UK (not sure about the US), App connect was only set up from the factory FOC on the Discover Nav Pro. On the lesser models (discover media and discover Nav II), it was always optional in the price list at around £100 (i opted for it on my wife's Polo Blue GT for £100 - with MIB II Discover Navigation 6.5"), and it worked first time I connected both my Galaxy S7 and Apple Iphone 6.

If you haven't specced this as part of your package, I believe dealers can activate it with a USB dongle but it costs upwards of £200 after the fact (bit of a rip off if you ask me).

Leopold1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI DSG PP MY 2016
Yes, if you have the App connect nag screen telling you that you need a code, then you do at least have MIB II.

Here in the UK (not sure about the US), App connect was only set up from the factory FOC on the Discover Nav Pro. On the lesser models (discover media and discover Nav II), it was always optional in the price list at around £100 (i opted for it on my wife's Polo Blue GT for £100 - with MIB II Discover Navigation 6.5"), and it worked first time I connected both my Galaxy S7 and Apple Iphone 6.

If you haven't specced this as part of your package, I believe dealers can activate it with a USB dongle but it costs upwards of £200 after the fact (bit of a rip off if you ask me).

Sootchucker, great to know, thanks.

" If you haven't specced this as part of your package, ..."
I got the car 6 months old with 2k on the clock so I unfortunately did not have a say in the spec.

"... if you have the App connect nag screen telling you that you need a code, then you do at least have MIB II."
That's a relief. Good.

"... £100 - with MIB II Discover Navigation 6.5"), and it worked first time I connected both my Galaxy S7 and Apple Iphone 6."
Again, good to hear this. I've got Discover Nav Media (Generation 2) and use iPhone SE and iPhone 6 (the wife's).

" ... I believe dealers can activate it with a USB dongle but it costs upwards of £200 .... "
Yes, I was in touch with a dealer yesterday. £218 fitted including VAT
20 minute while--u-wait download job over the Internet direct from Wolfsburg, they told me. I'm afraid doing it with a dongle as you say seems more likely - not as sophisticated though ha-ha
I'm going to have it done, especially now that I know even some Polos have it
fitted ?

I'm hoping someone will see this in the UK and let me know if some dealers are offering a discounted price .... .... I'm prepared to travel.

I've also just ordered a Carstick and USB cable extension (recommended by VW apparently, why?) so that I can have a look at Car-Net. £95 for both and picking them up tomorrow. That project will be the subject of another post I fear, SIM card questions etc.

When I ordered the Carstick the Parts Dept guy said what colour? He thought I meant a touch-up paint kit! Oh dear, doesn't give you a lot of confidence does it?

Leopold