GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Driver Assistance Package

pookyman

Can anyone with the Driver Assistance Package on the GTI/R's for the 2016/2017 comment on how good it is? I just found out that the SE does not have the Park Assist feature. Has that always been the case?

Basically long story short: I placed an order for a 2017 GTI SE with the Driver Assistance Package back in October, and it has taken forever to get built. Dealer finally calls me in today - 4 months later - but find out for some reason that the car they were trying to sell me didn't have the package despite having the sticker on it. They blamed it on the manufacturer and said they sent the wrong car. Really hard to believe but whatever.

At this point, I really don't want to wait for them to build another one because it could take another 4 months and wondering if I should just grab an SE on the lot.

How good is the DAP and is it worth the wait?

tonipepperoni77

Drag Race Newbie
I love my DAP. Adaptive cruise control is awesome. Lane tracking and steering is awesome. Park assist is great as well I wouldn't of bought my R without it

iPhone using Tapatalk VIP

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I for one love it. I actually would like more features on the DAP. Let me start out by saying some of the features can be made even better with a few clicks with a VCDS.

Lane Assist: It only works for about 8-seconds at a time, and unless you adjust it with a VCDS it "ping pongs" off the lines. With the tweak it keeps the car centered.

The ACC takes getting used to, but it's great on the highway or in traffic. It uses a radar emitter/receiver in the grille that works well. And there's a tweak that will make it even better in start/stop traffic.

Forward Collision Alert/Autonomous Emergency Braking: The only "glitch" is you need to watch out for debris. If it blows in front of the radar emitter when you're on the gas it will want to brake the car for a second. If it gets stuck in the grille in front of the radar and you're on the gas it could emergency stop you. It can also stop the car before you hit another car or power pole but only up to 19 MPH.

I REALLY like the rear traffic alert. It saved me a few times when backing out of a parking space. There's a radar emitter/receiver behind each corner of the rear bumper. They also run the lane change alerts. I don't really rely on the lane change, and the LED lights in the outside mirrors are not very bright during the day.

I don't know your DAP includes Park Pilot, they're the sensors that beep when when you get too close to something when parking. Note: they don't recognize those cement parking stops in parking lots very well, and they don't always activate automatically. You can press the "P" button on the console to activate them though.

With the GTI you get Park Assist, which can help parallel park the car on the street and "drive-in" spots in a parking lot. I have an R, which doesn't come with this feature, so I can't comment one way or the other. I don't miss it because I would never use it. Maybe if we had Teslas...

So my opinion is, wait for one with it.

Last edited:

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Totally agree with The Fed...

Veejster

Passed Driver's Ed
There shouldn't be any higher maintenance cost with the DAP package.

For '17, the DAP for the SE wont come with Park Assist/Pilot or the Lane Assist and you might as well see if you can get a deal on a '17 Autobahn if they have one on the lot, since it comes standard with the SE DAP.

lv2bll54

Passed Driver's Ed
I say wait, I would have the dap over the adjustable susp any day

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
I for one love it. I actually would like more features on the DAP. Let me start out by saying some of the features can be made even better with a few clicks with a VCDS.

Lane Assist: It only works for about 8-seconds at a time, and unless you adjust it with a VCDS it "ping pongs" off the lines. With the tweak it keeps the car centered.

The ACC takes getting used to, but it's great on the highway or in traffic. It uses a radar emitter/receiver in the grille that works well. And there's a tweak that will make it even better in start/stop traffic.

Forward Collision Alert/Autonomous Emergency Braking: The only "glitch" is you need to watch out for debris. If it blows in front of the radar emitter when you're on the gas it will want to brake the car for a second. If it gets stuck in the grille in front of the radar and you're on the gas it could emergency stop you. It can also stop the car before you hit another car or power pole but only up to 19 MPH.

I REALLY like the rear traffic alert. It saved me a few times when backing out of a parking space. There's a radar emitter/receiver behind each corner of the rear bumper. They also run the lane change alerts. I don't really rely on the lane change, and the LED lights in the outside mirrors are not very bright during the day.

I don't know your DAP includes Park Pilot, they're the sensors that beep when when you get too close to something when parking. Note: they don't recognize those cement parking stops in parking lots very well, and they don't always activate automatically. You can press the "P" button on the console to activate them though.

With the GTI you get Park Assist, which can help parallel park the car on the street and "drive-in" spots in a parking lot. I have an R, which doesn't come with this feature, so I can't comment one way or the other. I don't miss it because I would never use it. Maybe if we had Teslas...

So my opinion is, wait for one with it.
I find the sensors detect concrete, wood, metal and people. Like when I pick someone up the sensors show a wooden gate, with concrete post,s being opened and then closed and someone walking in formt of the car in order to get in. But puzzlingly park Pilot doesn't recognise my open garage, with concrete walls, despite driving past up and down the system folds its arms as if to say "I ain't parking in there". It's great at parking between car and especially parallel parking though. Only, it will gleefully feed the car into spaces I snormally wouldn't consider as it doesn' allow for 'idiot fling door wide open door bumping'. Ideally 3 ft or more....

Last edited:

nype

Drag Racing Champion
There shouldn't be any higher maintenance cost with the DAP package.

For '17, the DAP for the SE wont come with Park Assist/Pilot or the Lane Assist and you might as well see if you can get a deal on a '17 Autobahn if they have one on the lot, since it comes standard with the SE DAP.

Can you not enable Lane Assist with VCDS?

So SE DAP is less feature rich than Autobahn DAP on 17s?

Last edited:

dang

Passed Driver's Ed
Can validate what everyone else above has said. I have a 16 Autobahn with DAP and it's pretty incredible. The forward collision warning has saved my ass a few times with people cutting me off or pulling out blindly from side streets.

In terms of turning the different assists off, I believe you can do this with the button on the indicator stalk. I also haven't noticed any higher maintenance costs, the only 'extra' effort I go to is to make sure I give the sensors an extra wipe when I wash the car. But that's just me being a bit OCD

GhostMetal

Passed Driver's Ed
You waited 4 months for a parking and Lane sensor? I don't get it. I do not want my car to take over control ever at any point. I went out of my way to avoid these features.

Just drive and park like a human and do proper lane changes. This isn't rocket science.

mookieblaylock

Ready to race!
How good is the DAP and is it worth the wait?

we just got a gti autobahn in the bay area using truecar for pricing and got 5k off sticker fwiw. The acc is good. The blind spot assist is only ok as the indicator lights don't really standout when activated in the side view mirrors. The headlights that move with the steering wheel are great. I dont think it has the parking sensor but the rear camera is awesome for that.

Veejster

Passed Driver's Ed
Can you not enable Lane Assist with VCDS?

So SE DAP is less feature rich than Autobahn DAP on 17s?

No, you won't be able to enable it because the SE DAP doesn't even come with the camera in the windshield. The SE DAP adds what the Autobahn comes with standard (Blind Spot Sensors/ACC-Front Assist Radar). This is why it's only $595.

The Autobahn DAP adds on to the standard features above - Lane Assist, Park Assist, Park Pilot, and auto dimming mirror. This option on the Autobahn cost $1095.

Soldat1988

Passed Driver's Ed
So I just found out from this thread that the 2017 SE with DAP that I've had ordered since December won't have half of the features that I thought DAP would have because it's not an autobahn. This whole process has been shit. What a fantastic company Volkswagen has proven itself to be before I've even received my car - might just scrap this whole thing and go with a Focus ST or something.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I drove a ST, wasn't impressed. Seemed too boy racer both in looks and feel. They also lack a needed limited slip differential.