GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BFI Stage 3 issues

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

Sounds like the OP of that thread is just being hard headed.

BFI for sure is building a reputation for poor communication, which is unfortunate since in my experience they've been great. I refer people to them for engine/trans mounts on a regular basis and even helped them in initial part number compatibility discrepancies when the 2016s first came out. There's always two sides to every story but it does look like the OP is getting the short end of the stick in this case. I've followed this issue closely because I'll be upgrading my Clutch sooner than later and only consider this and CM FX 350/400 as options that'll meet my needs. Good bad or whatever I wanna know how this ends up

Sounds like the OP of that thread is just being hard headed.

BFI for sure is building a reputation for poor communication, which is unfortunate since in my experience they've been great. I refer people to them for engine/trans mounts on a regular basis and even helped them in initial part number compatibility discrepancies when the 2016s first came out. There's always two sides to every story but it does look like the OP is getting the short end of the stick in this case. I've followed this issue closely because I'll be upgrading my Clutch sooner than later and only consider this and CM FX 350/400 as options that'll meet my needs. Good bad or whatever I wanna know how this ends up

I have never heard anything positive about clutch masters. Everyone I know that had one complained that it wore out super fast or had issues.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I haven't heard anything negative till now, a good friend of mine has one on his big turbo mk4 (pretty much the same 6 speed trans we have) and it's been great for him

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I thought you weren't supposed to resurface the OEM... Or couldn't...

I've never looked into it but I'm not sure you can resurface a DMF without dissembling it. If it doesn't have visible heat discoloration or grooves worn in it from excessive slipping it should be ok tho. Problem is, you can't tell without a dial indicator if it's within spec for flatness, which most people and shops alike won't have handy

It is possible to resurface but most shops will not touch DMF's. You need to be able to hold both plates steady and completely level to do a proper resurface.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I have never heard anything positive about clutch masters. Everyone I know that had one complained that it wore out super fast or had issues.

Had CM on my mk4, no issues. So theres a positive about them. I can't comment on any of the clutches since then though.

DJ_Matt

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I'm probably going to order mine this weekend and then hopefully get it installed within the next couple of weeks. If I do have issues good thing they are only an hr from me so I can speak with them face to face.

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
Well I'm probably going to order mine this weekend and then hopefully get it installed within the next couple of weeks. If I do have issues good thing they are only an hr from me so I can speak with them face to face.

Good luck... maybe third time will be the charm for you though?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

Keep us updated, I'm just 3 hours south of them so I'm also close enough they can't ignore me ha

Joe@blackforest

Hey BFI, stop fucking around and help this ONE guy one thats having problems with your clutch. Give him a break.

Lost ALL respect for you guys and I will never, ever recommend you to anyone.

I run a Facebook group for Mk7 GTI and Golf R owners in Toronto, Canada, there are 1000 of us after only a year, and as an admin I'll wholeheartedly never recommend any one of those 1000 members that they buy your products solely based on customer service alone. Sorry, you brought this upon yourselves. You've hardly replied once to this thread, and you know it's here.

Hey Guys, I know some of you have wondered about our lack of response to this thread, and to make a long story short, the individual who's position it was to answer these questions and monitor this thread is no longer with the company (not a bad thing, we just parted ways). So as a result we haven't been as on top of this sort of thing as we usually would be.

As for Rick1024's issue - we have been speaking with him about finding ways to test, and resolve the issue from when he first contacted us. The situation in his case is complicated because he is not only a great distance away, but in another country as well. Add to that a 3rd party installer and it makes this the most difficult type of troubleshoot/warranty situation.

We have taken the path we have to this point, because we wanted to make sure there wasn't an issue external to the clutch that could cause the problem. His complaint is unique in that he initially was only having an issue after long drives, putting the car into first gear. We wanted to make sure there wasn't an issue of contamination, or the low boiling point of the stock fluid causing a problem - as we have had even stock cars have similar problems. We directed him to attempt a flush and re-bleed (most initial install clutch release problems are bleed related), and since he already had an aftermarket bleeder block (we have seen the delay valve cause similar issues as well) we then could be confident that if the problem persisted we could be sure that the fluid/master/slave/bleeder are not the issue.

Unfortunately the problem persisted - and unfortunately with any clutch diagnosis and replacement, the clutch and flywheel must be removed for inspection.

We agreed, that because of his location that we would send him a new replacement clutch and flywheel for immediate install (typical warranty replacement requires the clutch returned for inspection).

After we came to an agreement on how to proceed, Rick1024 decided that he would prefer to change to a different clutch/flywheel setup. We accepted his decision and he will send his clutch and flywheel back to us (at our cost) and if the clutch is defective he will be refunded in full.

We are now in a period of waiting for his new clutch to arrive/be installed, and when we are able to take further action we will certainly do so.

We are absolutely committed to designing/manufacturing and selling quality products, so if there is an issue with either design or manufacture of the clutch or flywheel we want to test and find that problem so we can resolve those issues and avoid future ones. Though a clutch and flywheel is actually a pretty simple device, there are many points at assembly, and installation where things can go wrong and cause issues. We need to determine what the actual problem is before anything can be done to correct that issue. We look forward to being able to do that soon.

I know it can often seem like one or two similar issues are a design flaw or manufacturing defect, but this is our most popular fitment clutch and thus far these types of problems have been minimal relative to overall volume.

If any of you have questions about clutches, that you've purchased, or are thinking of purchasing, feel fee to contact us, or me directly (my email is joe@blackforestindustries.com).

oheyitskev

Ready to race!
Just saw this thread since I'm usually checking the R forums, I just had this same clutch installed towards the beginning of February, currently at 200 miles on the break in with no issues. I'll let you guys know if anything happens (good or bad)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk