GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Are my OE mounts really that WEAK?!

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Troubling News

I noticed what appeared to be a crack in my subframe last weekend, at 2,700 miles. I was just about finished up with my insert install. Well, I looked again yesterday and it has gotten slightly worse. I couldn't maneuver my phone up into a spot to get a shot sadly. When it is out on the techs toolbox I will be able to though. Taking it in Monday afternoon to have it looked at, and parts ordered. Not too bad of a job, but still, new car. My time at the dealer has strengthened my resolved thankfully. Not too much boohoo-ing lol.

Best way to describe location is the top edge of the bushing sleeve, on what appears to be a seam in the sleeve itself. There is a seam on the exact opposite end, on the bottom of the subframe facing down. If it was there it would stand out much easier. It wasn't into the weld that day, now it is. Being the spot it is, aggressive driving would promote further cracking. Needless to say I have probably been promoting it :D

Have a good weekend guys. I searhed for related topics(really quick), and found nothing. So hopefully I am a one-off. I am going to likely be ordering parts to be installed under warrenty labor opps while the subframe is out also, any suggestions? Subframe bushing perhaps? Or control arms?

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I think it's heard and seen this from someone else and the dealer said it was normal and actually where the two pieces are welded or connected or something like that. Basically this rings a bell and I don't think it's anything to worry about, but curious what your dealer says!

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I think it's heard and seen this from someone else and the dealer said it was normal and actually where the two pieces are welded or connected or something like that. Basically this rings a bell and I don't think it's anything to worry about, but curious what your dealer says!
It is certainly in an area where the potential is there for a crack to start. I wouldn't be worried if I didn't see it spreading into the weld :/ That's why I didn't post my findings last weekend, I didn't want to cry wolf. But, I see a wolf. At the same time though I can't see things just catastrophically breaking either, hard driving or not. We will see what my ex-shop foreman says, he'll probably go along with me though.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Waiting for pics!

Btw, swap for A3 aluminium subframe?
Yes I will post them ASAP! I want to get it out there for awareness.

I was looking at those, that would not be a free subframe however :/ I saw one for $575. What is the most significant gain from that swap? I could see the A3 frame being stronger for sure. I like VWaG aluminum subframes, they're pretty. I did order a 034 insert. I don't want to put the BFI back in as I damaged it taking it back out last night. Plus, I find the 034 does look to be a much superior design over the other style. It should be really easy to install with the subframe out obviously.

You seemed to be well versed with the suspension side of mods, how do you feel about ECS control arms? Or control arm bushings in general? I drive aggressive as hell, but I have no power adders, yet. Would those still be a noticeable upgrade to my overall stock vehicle? Or do those come into play more with other suspension setups and more power to the ground? I wouldn't mind a tiny bit more sharpness to the front end while in custom/sport modes.

Danke!

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
I'm not sure the added rigidity of the aluminum subframe, but I know it's 4lbs lighter iirc. Not worth the money if that's the only benefit IMO.

For control arms, superpro makes some which I hear are really good. Haven't heard anyone running the ECS ones yet. I think you can run the TTRS arms as well which give camber adjustment (BB I know will chime in and correct me here :)) but I believe there's a little modification needed to fit on our cars, but nothing crazy hard.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I'm not sure the added rigidity of the aluminum subframe, but I know it's 4lbs lighter iirc. Not worth the money if that's the only benefit IMO.

For control arms, superpro makes some which I hear are really good. Haven't heard anyone running the ECS ones yet. I think you can run the TTRS arms as well which give camber adjustment (BB I know will chime in and correct me here :)) but I believe there's a little modification needed to fit on our cars, but nothing crazy hard.
Yea that is not really a mentionable gain to say the least lol. Certainly not worth it if that is the only gain. Short of beating that OEM+ drum!

I will check those out for sure. I like ECS products that I've gotten so far, they are really close to home so I get deliveries in 2 days or less. That is nice. But I am not brand loyal at all. If what you say about the TTRS arms is true, I would be VERY interested. I like OEM+. I also like wrenching so slight modifications can easily be dealt with :)

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Here's the thread I remember reading about it on. It may be the same thread or a different that went over the modification but it's just the end link needed a hole drilled I believe. Looks like at TTs come with the aluminum control arms and camber adjustment (I believe it's the ball joints that give the adjustment).

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7278

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Well, went to the dealer and one of the master techs heard I was coming with a troubling concern. He racked my car right away to see this "crack".

At first, he said what I said "That sum bitch is cracked!" But, we then went to look at a Golf TSI that was up already a few bays down, and it too had the same "seam" and we then started calling it. I did have him note the finding, and the fact that I was concerned. I have a paper trail now at least, could prove valuable in the future. I did notice though, again he agreed, that my "seam" was spread a bit more than the Golf's was. I will be looking at it monthly until I am satisfied myself it is not a issue looming.

I wish I could get a picture that doesn't completely suck for you guys...he tried to and his phone couldn't even fit in the spot it needs to go. I didn't think until after pulling out and going home, a bore scope would do it. Ah well.

You're right, TT control arms come with adjustable two-piece ball joints.