GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Auto headlight fault

Lomcovaks

I have one small niggle with my mk7 GT. I leave the car lights on 'auto' and when I drive under a bridge in daylight the main lights come on briefly but there's a simultaneous alarm ping and the centre console shows a 'auto headlight fault' which disappears after a few seconds.

Has anyone come across this before or can you suggest where the fault may be and how I can fix it?

Many thanks.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I remember someone saying if you have it on auto and foglights it does that?

Lomcovaks

Hi crxgator,

Many thanks for the prompt response. No, my fogs are off unless they're needed and this fault occurs with just the drls on.

It appears that the main lights don't switch off as you enter daylight once more after passing under a bridge or overpass and I think this may be what's triggering the dash fault message?

I tried swapping out the lighting control switch but that doesn't affect it so I'm guessing there's a control unit somewhere but I've no idea where.

DaveEvening

Passed Driver's Ed
Well, control unit for all light (even auto function) is BCM. If Switch isn't faulty, it can be only a light sensor (upper part of front window) of BCM itself (really bad if co). But just for ask - Can it be possible that BCM just don't recive information from light sensor or light sensor send invalid infromation. VCDS/VAGCOM should tell what happend

Lomcovaks

Hi DaveEvening,

Thanks for your suggestion. Excuse my ignorance, but can I ask what BCM is? A control module of some sort?

I'm fairly certain that information is passing from the sensor - if you place your palm over the sensor in daylight the main beam comes on, it's when the ambient brightness increases and the main lights switch off that the fault is reported.

I'll have a word with my independent VW mechanic and see what he thinks and whether it's worth diagnosing before the MOT later this year.

I very much appreciate your information.

DaveEvening

Passed Driver's Ed
BCM, also called CECM is Central Electronics Control Module, it controls all the lights in the car, monitors them, controls what appears in the Car Menu under the lights menu, controls the leaving home and coming home lights function, controls the horn(s), menaging central locking, footwell lights and other features. There are different variants of this module: Low, Medium and Highline. It is situated above the pedals on the drivers side, on left side, near body of car, upright.

Simple - It managing your cars electrics.

Looks like that: https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1msyA...nt-b-Golf-b-font-7-MK7-VII-5Q0-937-084-AS.jpg

But I'm sure that BCM itself isn't the problem. When you connect your car to diagnostic, should have a clear situation about what was happend :)

Lomcovaks

Many thanks for the detailed information DaveEvening.

I'll contact my mechanic and see if he's able to do the diagnostics for me. It's such a minor fault that I may even leave it until the MOT is due in the Summer.

Will report back with my results when I do discover what it is.

Thanks again.

Lomcovaks

Auto headlight solved

Well, the fault was annoying me so much I put the car with a main dealer to diagnose and it was a faulty rain/light sensor unit on the windscreen.

I'm now a few hundred quid lighter but I'm hoping the problem is rectified.

GrafiCar

Edit : In my vehicle sensor error was detected. Changed with a new one. Everything is OK.

Last edited: