GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Marshall@COBB's 2017 GTI Sport

kDizz781

Ready to race!
Funny, I just sold my WRX (Cobb DP, intake, EBCS Protuned at BrenTuning in Ma) and moved to a GTI. I also got a 2017 Sport. I think it is a great trim level for the money, only thing I wish it had were fog lights...

Nice to see COBB coming to the VW world

Following for updates!

COBB Tuning

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Funny, I just sold my WRX (Cobb DP, intake, EBCS Protuned at BrenTuning in Ma) and moved to a GTI. I also got a 2017 Sport. I think it is a great trim level for the money, only thing I wish it had were fog lights...

Nice to see COBB coming to the VW world

Following for updates!

We definitely see the WRX to GTI/Golf R progression quite a bit. Quite a few COBB employees have made that same change. And I totally agree, the one thing I wish the Sport trim had would be fog lights.

Marshall@COBB

COBB Tuning

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
New mods! I ordered a few LEDs from deAutoKey/deAutoLED for the GTI.

I really like the look of LEDs on newer cars. Although relatively minor, I feel they add a level of refinement to the overall look of a car. I sat on this decision before pulling the trigger as the whole package is relatively pricey. Excited to get them on the car though!

Ended up going with the following:

Hoping to find time to install all of them over the weekend as well as make a few VCDS changes. I have also located my old DSLR, so prepare yourselves for the painful experience of watching me learn how to use it!

Marshall@COBB

Last edited:

Johnpaul

Ready to race!
I decided on the spring/strut configuration for a couple of reasons. First and foremost - cost. This combination set me back less than half that of a "good" set of coilovers. Secondly, I wanted to try something new. I've run many sets of coilovers on my WRX and they've all been just a touch stiffer than I want for a street car.

Marshall@COBB

How are you liking the spring/strut combo?

COBB Tuning

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
How are you liking the spring/strut combo?

I've been meaning to follow up on this. So far, so good! I ended up increasing the front strut stiffness ~1/2 turn from full soft after the first week of driving. At that setting I feel it's perfectly matched with the Eibach Prokit springs. While the ride is slightly stiffer than factory, it is still very tame. Unfortunately, this has made the need for new tires glaringly obvious.

Marshall@COBB

Johnpaul

Ready to race!
I've been meaning to follow up on this. So far, so good! I ended up increasing the front strut stiffness ~1/2 turn from full soft after the first week of driving. At that setting I feel it's perfectly matched with the Eibach Prokit springs. While the ride is slightly stiffer than factory, it is still very tame. Unfortunately, this has made the need for new tires glaringly obvious.

Marshall@COBB

That's great to hear, thank you! It's nice to have a viable alternative to coilovers.

COBB Tuning

GolfMK6 Official Vendor

Had a present on my desk this morning. It's almost time! Our calibrators have been finalizing 2017 GTI calibrations over the past few weeks. I will be putting some miles on the release-candidate files for a bit before releasing to the public. Feedback coming soon!

Marshall@COBB

Last edited:

Utah Marv

I have been checking every day for any updates also. Really interested in Marshall's impressions on the new 2017 software and when it will be released.

Also I have read that COBB is working on a TCU tune. Will that update be included as other updates are for no charge once you have purchased the Access Port?

I have been a fan of COBB since you only did WRX software in Salt Lake City and I lived in Park City. I also wondered as many others did why you didn't offer anything for the GTI. Now it is here and I am excited to learn more and perhaps give it a try.

Thanks!
Marv :D

COBB Tuning

GolfMK6 Official Vendor
Sorry it has been quiet around here! I was out of the country on vacation for a bit and left before giving feedback on the Stage 1 tune. Now that Accessport support has been released for the 2017 GTI, I figured I would give a quick update!

I previously drove our shop 2015/2016 GTIs during Mk7 R&D. I even drove our 2015 GTI DSG at the drag strip to compare trap speed of a Stage 1 tune against that of a completely stock car. Unfortunately, I never really got a chance to spend an extended amount of time with the cars to compare between stock and Stage 1.

I have ~1.5 weeks of daily driving on the Stage 1 OTS map and really enjoy it. Power comes on much harder than stock and the pull to redline is very impressive. 1st gear is relatively useless at anything above ~50% throttle and I definitely find myself wishing for a bit stickier and wider section tire to help with traction in 2nd gear. Had the car felt like this as it was delivered, I wouldn't have felt the need to touch it. I may just be getting old, but a Stage 1 Mk7 GTI may currently be hard to beat as a daily driver.

I also now have a production COBB cat-back exhaust on the car. Hoping to put together a quick exhaust video for everyone when I get back from TX2k.

Marshall@COBB