GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DIY - HD Clutch Stop - for less than a dollar! for all MQB MK7 Golf 5 and 6MT

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I did this Saturday and it's great! I settled on 4 washers too, which seems to have a perfect feel. I'm kind of surprised vw doesn't tune the pedal to be like this from the factory. I immediately noticed that I was shifting smoother, which surprised me because I thought I would need to get used to it at least a little bit.

Notes on the install: Make sure to get an anchor that is just the right size. I first tried an anchor that was slightly too large and it didn't really work, then when I found a slightly smaller one it worked perfectly. I was a bit concerned when screwing in that the anchor would just spin indefinitely and never tighten, but after about 10-15 turns and a bit of pressure it tightened right up and now feels super solid. Highly recommended DIY!

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
I did this Saturday and it's great! I settled on 4 washers too, which seems to have a perfect feel. I'm kind of surprised vw doesn't tune the pedal to be like this from the factory. I immediately noticed that I was shifting smoother, which surprised me because I thought I would need to get used to it at least a little bit.

Notes on the install: Make sure to get an anchor that is just the right size. I first tried an anchor that was slightly too large and it didn't really work, then when I found a slightly smaller one it worked perfectly. I was a bit concerned when screwing in that the anchor would just spin indefinitely and never tighten, but after about 10-15 turns and a bit of pressure it tightened right up and now feels super solid. Highly recommended DIY!

Excellent! Glad people are making use of this DIY!

Did you wrap the anchor with electrical tape or anything prior to insertion? I find that giving the anchor a bit of grip helps when screwing in. Also, I find if you pre-screw the anchor to establish a thread pattern inside it, then back the screw out. When you go to screw once in the hole it glides right in.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Excellent! Glad people are making use of this DIY!

Did you wrap the anchor with electrical tape or anything prior to insertion? I find that giving the anchor a bit of grip helps when screwing in. Also, I find if you pre-screw the anchor to establish a thread pattern inside it, then back the screw out. When you go to screw once in the hole it glides right in.

I didn't use any tape. I wanted to see if I could effectively screw it in without any first.

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
I didn't use any tape. I wanted to see if I could effectively screw it in without any first.

Yes this works no problems - this was how I did it the first time around. On subsequent cars/installs I used a bit of tape to add some friction when threading, however I also found if you pre-thread the anchor it works to ease install just as well.

Definitely a great improvement for such a simple concept!

hooville

Go Kart Newbie
Added the "Shorty's Clutch Stop" to the GTI last night, pre-threading the anchor helped a lot. I am using 4 shims and so far it feels great - don't miss the excessive pedal travel at all!
Thanks for the great idea!

BTW, we have hockey tape in Atlanta, we just call it tennis tape! :D

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Added the "Shorty's Clutch Stop" to the GTI last night, pre-threading the anchor helped a lot. I am using 4 shims and so far it feels great - don't miss the excessive pedal travel at all!
Thanks for the great idea!

BTW, we have hockey tape in Atlanta, we just call it tennis tape! :D

hahah!

and bumpily bump for this DIY!

tknj99

Ready to race!
Just did this Home Depot special mod exactly as shown and what a nice difference.. hated the dead air previously at the bottom..
Thanks so much for this 5-minute $5 mod :)

Ehlectric

Passed Driver's Ed
Added Shorty's stop a couple days ago! Better than the Ebay one that's for sure, less of a squish if you get what I mean. Best of all Shorty was great and sent me one for freeeeee with a short shifter I ordered, which is also amazing!

CU GTI

I'd recommend you do this in addition to the clutch spring removal mod which is another 5 minute mod and makes it even better

First thing I did to my car.

Anyone know what size anchor they used? I ended up using one that was too small and it pushed all the way through. It was a bitch to get out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tknj99

Ready to race!
First thing I did to my car.

Anyone know what size anchor they used? I ended up using one that was too small and it pushed all the way through. It was a bitch to get out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried a few anchors I had on hand until I found one that worked and then cut the end off to make it sit flush.

S97

Passed Driver's Ed
Just wanted to chime in and say this is one of the first mods I've done to my car. Makes daily driving a lot easier with MUCH less deadspace at the end of the pedal.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
As of a few days ago I can confirm this DIY also works on mk4 golfs. I needed to use a slightly different wall anchor and two full furniture pads to get it to be right, but now I want to do this to every VAG manual car I come across!