GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sunroof one-touch is gone after VCDS tweak

mbmb

Passed Driver's Ed
I got my VCDS yesterday, and immediately started poking around. I switched off my seatbelt chime, calibrated my fuel gauge, and tried to turn on convenience opening and closing for my windows and sunroof, following the instructions here.

Now my sunroof won't open or close with one touch. Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

mbmb

Passed Driver's Ed
Okay, after a little more digging, I find that the sunroof has lost its calibration. This happened after I operated the sunroof via the Ross-Tech software.

I can't find anything in the software or online about recalibrating the sunroof.

Suggestions?

darkice1

Passed Driver's Ed
If it's like side windows, open it up and close it. One touch should work after that!

Sent from my iPhone

mbmb

Passed Driver's Ed
That didn't work, but letting it run through the entire cycle via VCDS did.

If it's like side windows, open it up and close it. One touch should work after that!

Sent from my iPhone

mkegti37

Ready to race!
For future reference, it's always a good idea to save your coding "before" you make any changes, that way if something breaks, you can revert to the original coding. :)

mbmb

Passed Driver's Ed
I thought I saw something about saving coding, but I'm not sure how to do that.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
I thought I saw something about saving coding, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Mbmb: whitemk7 is correct- it's good practice to keep accurate records of ALL your changes just in case the brown stuff and the fan meet and you need to revert your settings to their original values.

There's lots of ways of keeping records: you can make notations yourself, or you can use Ross-Tech's facilities. For example if you are changing adaptation channels, there's a button on the lower RHS of the screen called "Add to log". If you click on this button after you click "Do it!" Tab (and you follow the screen prompts), a .csv file is added to your "logs" sub directory detailing the before and after values you just made.

The other way to use Ross-Tech's facilities is via the "CodingLog. txt " file that resides in the "debug" sub directory. This file lists ALL the changes that you have made with your cable since you first used your laptop. Being a .csv file, it's just straight text with commas separating the data, so it can be a little difficult to read if you have made lots of changes. But you can parse the file though something like MS Excel to make it more readable.

Just a small note of caution about the CodingLog. txt file - the data in this file is recorded just after you press the "Do it!" Tab. This means that the file is blind to what happens after "Do it," is pressed. So if your change request is rejected by the control module, the record in the the CodingLog file won't be accurate (i.e. The record in the file will say that the change was made- when it wasn't). But this idiosyncrasy notwithstanding, it's still a good facility (IMO)

Last edited:

Snubnoze

That didn't work, but letting it run through the entire cycle via VCDS did.

My sunroof doesnt work correctly, I think. Looking at my owners manual on sunroof movement/function yesterday, I noticed that pushing forward on the switch opens the sunroof as well as backwards, and if you continue closing it (pushing forward the button without removing your finger), it does a sort of hesitation, and re-opens again!, I'm never sure if the sunroof is actually properly closed without getting out of the car and looking at the roof itself. This seems different to the instructions in the owners manual, where there are definitive instructions to push up on one side of the button and the other, yielding different functions i.e "just tilt", "close tilt" etc.. Does this sound normal? Should I just be "quickly" pushing the button and releasing?

Can you advise how to do a cycle via VCDS? does this reset the sunroof?

Dread

Found how to fix it: simply push the close sunroof button and hold it until it stops moving. Then it will work normally.

tgodon13

Ready to race!
Found how to fix it: simply push the close sunroof button and hold it until it stops moving. Then it will work normally.

This worked. Although I have had to do it twice in the last couple weeks, and I barely use the car.