GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch smell

unido

Hi guys

I have had my GTD for about 3 weeks now, its a 1 year old with 8000 miles on the clock.

Car has been very well looked after, not a mark anywhere. Got it from a VW dealer. After about a week I had the fuel pump changed on warranty as it was hissing away like crazy.

Anyway over the past few days, on short journeys and when parked, I have smelt the clutch as if I had been riding it and giving it some but I have been driving in a very timid manner, especially after I had smelt it the first time. I did think it could be the DPF but should I be smelling this 3 or 4 times a week?

I didn't know if anyone else had experienced this or is it just a case of the original owner abusing it? I just highly doubt it has been abused as the chap who had it before me is retired and the garage says he is always changing his car with them after 12 months and so takes great care of his cars.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Last edited:

DangerousTheory

Passed Driver's Ed
Don't know but take it to the dealer and see what they say. It's possible the DPF is regenerating often, especially if previous owner only did very short journeys in the car and the DPF is rather full (I believe it's % capacity will fill over time if used too much like this, and even a full regen won't bring the % of soot back to zero).

Kevmoz

Passed Driver's Ed
I'd say it is the DPF trying to regen. Mine does it if I'm only doing small trips. Your car needs a nice long run to allow the regen to fully complete.

unido

Thanks for the replies guys. I rang the garage and they said DPF over the phone. I am short on time to take the car in at the moment so said I would run it and see how it goes. Since reading about the DPF I have taken it on longer journeys instead of my wifes car and I haven't smelt it for a week now.