GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1.8 GSW vs. Acura TL SH-AWD

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I don't see anyone posting with the regular 1.8, so I thought I would share. My friend has a '13 TL SH-AWD 6sp manual. He has an intake, throttle body spacer and muffler delete. He always talks about how fast it is and how he has taken down G37's, 328i's and had a close race with a 335i that he says he edged out. I ran him with my GSW auto. I have a JB4 with a drop in filter and running e85 blend. I put 1/2 a car in him from 60-120. When I went into fourth is where it started to gain.

Venumous

Ready to race!
Not that your car isn't impressive for what it is but calling a TL "fast" is hilarious.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Not that your car isn't impressive for what it is but calling a TL "fast" is hilarious.

It is faster than a gti stock. The manual trans is good for high 13's at over 100 mph. True it doesn't compare to a tuned one though. I just like that a golf with a JB4 made him go WTF!

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Nice. People are surprised by the Golf. Especially if it's stock looking.
Just yesterday, was behind a ~2006 Mustang GT (not stock. At least exhaust) at a light (on a rural highway). He took off and I followed. The most he pulled was about 3 car lengths up to 110 when we shut down. And most of that lead was on launch. I know to some, that's a huge loss, but to me, that was pretty impressive.
Better intercooler to reduce psi drop and stack a jb4 to bring boost up and is no contest. Add an is20 or 38 and it's a beast. The top end is where you can really feel it dragging it's feet.

Venumous

Ready to race!
It is faster than a gti stock. The manual trans is good for high 13's at over 100 mph. True it doesn't compare to a tuned one though. I just like that a golf with a JB4 made him go WTF!

For the record, my definition of fast wouldn't include anything trapping under 120. I do realize this is not the norm. I've had 20 cars and several 10 second street cars. Changes the perspective.

Last edited:

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Nice. People are surprised by the Golf. Especially if it's stock looking.
Just yesterday, was behind a ~2006 Mustang GT (not stock. At least exhaust) at a light (on a rural highway). He took off and I followed. The most he pulled was about 3 car lengths up to 110 when we shut down. And most of that lead was on launch. I know to some, that's a huge loss, but to me, that was pretty impressive.
Better intercooler to reduce psi drop and stack a jb4 to bring boost up and is no contest. Add an is20 or 38 and it's a beast. The top end is where you can really feel it dragging it's feet.

I was actually hanging pretty good on the top end with him. I thought that's were he would lose me. I also have my boost higher on top than a tune because of the JB4. I've been comparing logs with MeltedSolid. He makes more low end, but I hold more boost up top

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
For the record, my definition of fast wouldn't include anything trapping under 120. I do realize this is not the norm. I've had 20 cars and several 10 second street cars. Changes the perspective.

Yes you have some fast cars so it's not fair lol.. but I get what you're saying for sure.

The TLs aren't a slouch and especially against a GSW, I wouldn't have ever thought you'd hang on. Definitely impressive for an affordable family wagon :)

Golf7RR

Go Kart Newbie
I was actually hanging pretty good on the top end with him. I thought that's were he would lose me. I also have my boost higher on top than a tune because of the JB4. I've been comparing logs with MeltedSolid. He makes more low end, but I hold more boost up top

Nice [emoji106] can you share some of your jb4 settings? Do u use additive or absolute boost #s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Nice [emoji106] can you share some of your jb4 settings? Do u use additive or absolute boost #s

I run absolute and blending e85. In the cold air, additive was hitting too high. There are not many guys with the 1.8 and JB4, so I kind of had to experiment on my own. Stock downpipe and a drop in filterwith the grill vents cut out. Here is a recent log

http://datazap.me/u/jcranwell/low-rpm-pull-e85-blend?log=0&data=1-2-3-4-6-11-14-25-26-27

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
IMG_7503.JPG

This is the current settings. I'm running clean with zero corrections, but it's not hitting target. I may increase the low end a bit as I found that helps it climb quicker

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie

I've had some fast drag cars when I was younger. I wouldn't call them daily drivers though. My '69 Firebird was probably my fastest daily. It ran a best of 12.12@116. Based on your definition of fast though, just about every car on this forum is not fast then. Lol

Venumous

Ready to race!
There are quick cars and then there are fast cars. There are a couple IS38s hitting 120+ though! Very impressive. 110mph + and you're headed in the right direction toward fast.

I mean a stock Camry/Accord/Altima can trap 98-100mph with your 335s and G37s in the 102-104mph range. Got to be able to run every day neighbor's cars into the ground to be fast IMO. If I still lived in Texas I'd daily my 800HP Mustangs for sure. I drove my FBO Boss 302 to work all the time when I lived there ~120mph car. I expect the 16 to be at about 133-135 on 93 and >140 on E85. I have all the parts I need to keep it from destroying the rear when I launch for this season so we will see what it can do.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Nice [emoji106] thanks!!

No problem. I also realize that I typed that additive was hitting too high. I meant that it wasn't. The ecu is only calling for 8-8.5 psi max. Additive was only giving me around 12. The additive works well in warmer weather though