GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 1 software flash

faisalbasha

Ready to race!
I'm considering a software flash for my 2016 mk7 1.8t for more power.

I'm debating between 3 we'll know companies but I need some help with my decision.

1- unitronic
2- APR
3- Revotechnik

Please share your thoughts and opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STANDARD H

Ready to race!

I'm debating between 3 we'll know companies but I need some help with my decision.

1- unitronic
2- APR
3- Revotechnik

This is a debate I've been going through as well, however, GIAC would be third in the list for me. Don't know anything about Revotechnik to be frank.

Word on the street is (though it will inevitably happen AT SOME POINT), APR wears through clutches faster than other tunes (again - so I've heard).

Most of the wear comes through the increase in torque, primarily, which is significant in both APR and Unitronic. Funny - I was just looking at Unitronic yesterday.

Porsche guys use GIAC a lot so some VW owners in SoCal use them too. For the 2017 model year, though, there's a brand new ECU so they haven't yet developed the tune but should be out soon (so they've told me).

So...my advice is: how much gain do you want and how upset will you be with any potential wear, sooner than later....because it will occur. Just a matter of when.

Price wise they're all within $100 or so, so price is somewhat of a moot point.

Good luck, and keep us posted! :)

Axles of Evil

Ready to race!
Oh!

Does the clutch wear and tear apply to automatic cars as well?

No, the DQ250 DSG is very strong compared to the stick version, but like anything enough long term sustained abuse, and you could kill it. On the manual transmission, the half life of the clutch with a tune and some boot.....about 2 weeks :eek:

This kinda sucks....I am an engineer, and there is a thing called a factor of safety for mechanical elements, so it appears that the FS for this clutch is 1.0., or LESS. It simply can not take any serious abuse. Sad!

Therefore, considering that this is a "sports" car, it should have an upgraded clutch to begin with. The issue is across the fleet, which suggests design problems from the outset. That that is even SADDER!

Last edited:

Chronic

Go Kart Champion

1- unitronic
2- APR
3- Revotechnik

I was between Unitronic andAPR flashed with Uni and have never had a regret
What made the choice easy for me was I like being able to flash from the comforts of home
As for as for the power,well let's just say more than enough for the street
Once break in is done on car flash it that's my advice after that you can turn the fun metre up
That will only last a bit cause after that all you'll want is stage 2 and the list goes on lol

STANDARD H

Ready to race!
I was between Unitronic andAPR flashed with Uni and have never had a regret
What made the choice easy for me was I like being able to flash from the comforts of home
As for as for the power,well let's just say more than enough for the street
Once break in is done on car flash it that's my advice after that you can turn the fun metre up
That will only last a bit cause after that all you'll want is stage 2 and the list goes on lol

Did you get through DAP? And do you simply use OBDeleven?

Chronic

Go Kart Champion
Did you get through DAP? And do you simply use OBDeleven?

No I went to PG Performance and they had the Uni-Connect flash tool already there and purchased for $195 Canadian then also purchased the stage 1+ ecu and stage 1 tcu combo I think that was 1150 or something like that
Went home and flashed with my lab top
About 4 months later went stage 2 and the upgrade was 100 for ecu and I think it was 100 or 150 for upgrade for tcu

Windows 7 laptop used to flash

STANDARD H

Ready to race!
No I went to PG Performance and they had the Uni-Connect flash tool already there and purchased for $195 Canadian then also purchased the stage 1+ ecu and stage 1 tcu combo I think that was 1150 or something like that
Went home and flashed with my lab top
About 4 months later went stage 2 and the upgrade was 100 for ecu and I think it was 100 or 150 for upgrade for tcu

Windows 7 laptop used to flash

Got it. Still debating what to do. Honestly pleased with the 220 for around town. Can only imagine Post-tune. LOL.